Meat, dairy may be as detrimental to your health as smoking cigarettes, study says

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
Tell me this study if full of shit!

Meat, dairy may be as detrimental to your health as smoking cigarettes, study says - CBS News

"Eating meat and cheese may be as harmful to you as smoking a cigarette, researchers claim.

A new study, published in Cell Metabolism on March 4, shows that middle-aged people who eat a diet high in animal proteins from milk, meat and cheese are more likely to die of cancer than someone who eats a low-protein diet. The research also showed the people who ate lots of meet and dairy were more likely to die at an earlier age.

"There's a misconception that because we all eat, understanding nutrition is simple. But the question is not whether a certain diet allows you to do well for three days, but can it help you survive to be 100?" study co-author Valter Longo, Edna M. Jones professor of biogerontology at the USC Davis School of Gerontology and director of the USC Longevity Institute in Los Angeles, said in a press release.

Longo had previously done research on a protein that controls a growth hormone called IGF-I, which aids in body growth. Very high levels of IGF-I have been associated with an increased cancer risk.

People produce less of the growth hormone after the age of 65, at which time they become frailer and lose muscle. While eating a diet high in animal proteins has been frowned upon during middle age, some studies have encouraged older adults to chow down on meats and cheeses because it makes them less likely to develop disease.

In his previous work, Longo had looked at a group of short Ecuadorian people who rarely developed diabetes or cancer. They had a genetic mutation that lowered their levels IGF-I, which also kept them under 5-feet tall.

For the new study, researchers looked at 6,318 adults over the age of 50. On average, about 16 percent of their total daily calories came from protein. Two-thirds of that amount was from animal protein.

The team divided the group into high, moderate and low-protein diet eaters. Protein could come from plant or animal sources. High-protein diets were made up of at least 20 percent protein. Moderate-protein eaters consumed 10 to 19 percent of their daily calories from protein. Low-protein diets consisted of less than 10 percent of daily calories from protein.

People who ate high-protein diets were 74 percent more likely to die before the end of the study than those who ate low-protein diets. Decreasing protein consumption from moderate to low levels reduced early mortality risk by 21 percent.

The team found that plant-based proteins were not as detrimental to health as animal based proteins.

A smaller subsection of the sample group -- 2,253 people -- had their IGF-I levels recorded. They found that those who consumed the highest levels of animal proteins were four times more likely to die of cancer than those who had low-protein diets. That increased rate was similar to the cancer risk between smokers and non-smokers. Moderate-protein consumers were three times more likely to die from cancer.

"Almost everyone is going to have a cancer cell or pre-cancer cell in them at some point. The question is: Does it progress?" Longo said. "Turns out one of the major factors in determining if it does is protein intake."

Another study in the same issue showed mice who were on a low-protein diet for two months were less likely to get cancer than those who were on a high-protein diet. If they did, they had 45 percent smaller tumors.

"We have shown explicitly why it is that calories aren't all the same -- we need to look at where the calories come from and how they interact," senior author Steve Simpson, a researcher at the University of Sydney's Charles Perkins Centre, said in a press release. "This research has enormous implications for how much food we eat, our body fat, our heart and metabolic health, and ultimately the duration of our lives."

Gunter Kuhnle, a food nutrition scientist at the University of Reading in the U.K., warned that it was dangerous to say protein consumption was as dangerous as lighting a cigarette.

"Sending out statements such as this can damage the effectiveness of important public health messages," he told the Guardian. "They can help to prevent sound health advice from getting through to the general public. The smoker thinks: 'why bother quitting smoking if my cheese and ham sandwich is just as bad for me?'"

Sick03Vert

Banned
This is stupid as I was just informed by my doc to INCREASE my protein/meat intake to better my health.

Always these oddball studies for everything.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
B.S.

Jeffrey Dahmer was as healthy as a horse before he was murdered.:beer:

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Well looks like you can start calling me "Lumpy" now because I don't plan on not eating red meat or dairy!

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Ill probably die of too much sex way before the Meats get me.... Oh wait

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
We are not natural meat eaters. Our bodies were meant to consume a plant based diet. Taking in animal meats and dairy makes our bodies highly acidic throwing off our PH balances therefor creating disease. Meat is very, very hard on our bodies raising acid levels to toxic levels in order to break the meat down in our digestive tracks.

It's unpopular information because most people are so highly addicted to foods high in fat, salt sodium etc. There plenty of ways to get protein into your system without taking in animal based proteins. Most people don't want to hear this though because it's so engrained into our society with all the convience eating and commercial way of thinking of fitness of protein loading.

It's a shame most people choose to ignore that we are the unhealthiest country in the world for a reason.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It wasn't all that long ago when "studies" said that eggs were not good for us. Now, other "studies" say we should eat all the eggs we want because they're good for us. Which is it? All too often studies say something is bad today, and then another study years later will claim the opposite. Honestly, I don't pay them much attention. Everything in moderation. Exercise! Another reason why our nation is unhealthy. People eat too much of everything and exercise little. JMO.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
We are not natural meat eaters. Our bodies were meant to consume a plant based diet. Taking in animal meats and dairy makes our bodies highly acidic throwing off our PH balances therefor creating disease. Meat is very, very hard on our bodies raising acid levels to toxic levels in order to break the meat down in our digestive tracks.

It's unpopular information because most people are so highly addicted to foods high in fat, salt sodium etc. There plenty of ways to get protein into your system without taking in animal based proteins. Most people don't want to hear this though because it's so engrained into our society with all the convience eating and commercial way of thinking of fitness of protein loading.

It's a shame most people choose to ignore that we are the unhealthiest country in the world for a reason.

Then pray tell what are we supposed to eat?

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
It wasn't all that long ago when "studies" said that eggs were not good for us. Now, other "studies" say we should eat all the eggs we want because they're good for us. Which is it? All too often studies say something is bad today, and then another study years later will claim the opposite. Honestly, I don't pay them much attention. Everything in moderation. Exercise! Another reason why our nation is unhealthy. People eat too much of everything and exercise little. JMO.

That is true, for every argument about food you can find a counter to it. That has to do with big food industry lobbists rather than actual unbiased medial findings.

Also, what you say is true, eat in moderation and excersise and you can be healthier. But that doesn't mean that its okay continuing to eat highly toxic foods and you will still be healthy.

There is a reason why heart disease and diabetes is so relevant today, and not just in adults, but even in our children now because the stuff that is put into our foods sources now.

Drink store bought pasturized milk? Enjoy that big dose of horomones you are drinking they use to keep the cows pregnant with so they keep producing milk. Also enjoy all those antibiotics they give the cows to fight off the infections they get from standing in one place for weeks at a time. And yes, that infectious PUSS is in the milk too. GROSS!!

ALL of our meat sources from big cattle and poultry companies are injected with hormones/antibiotics as well. ALL of them are fed a corn based feed rather than natural grass fed feed in order to make them fatter in a shorter amount of time.

Ground meat is all the left overs from the carcasses to be ground up (ligaments, tendons, gentials etc) Before it's packaged its washed in AMMONIA in order to kill all of the bacteria. (which it clearly doesn't with all the e coli poisonings)

There is tons more of stuff like this that takes places every day. This is just the tip of it all.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good hamburger as much as the next guy, but to say it's okay to eat and healthy for you isn't true at all.

Then pray tell what are we supposed to eat?

Whole natural plant based foods. Fruits, veggies, nuts and whole grains.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
probably right considering the amount of ****ery that is in todays meat/poultry/etc.

That I'd believe. That's one of the reason that we eat mostly wild caught fish. All I have to worry about is all the toxic waste and run-off being dumped into the ocean.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I'm gonna say if all of this is now unhealthy for us then it's because of what they pump into animals these days. Meat and dairy has been our diet for thousands of years and in recent time our life expectancies have risen. We're not all going to live to 120 if we change our diets. Everything out there causes cancer or some other kind of disease these days so I'm just going to enjoy my life and eat what I want within means of staying healthy. The cure for cancer is on the horizon so here's to hoping that comes before cancer does.

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
I'm gonna say if all of this is now unhealthy for us then it's because of what they pump into animals these days. Meat and dairy has been our diet for thousands of years and in recent time our life expectancies have risen. We're not all going to live to 120 if we change our diets. Everything out there causes cancer or some other kind of disease these days so I'm just going to enjoy my life and eat what I want within means of staying healthy. The cure for cancer is on the horizon so here's to hoping that comes before cancer does.

Meat has only been a larger portion of our diet for a much shorter time than "thousands" of years. Meat wasn't as easy to come by then. Animals then ate food that was natural their habitat and they roamed freely getting excersise so it was leaner meats. Now they are force fed corn based foods to get extra fat on in a short amount of time.

Example - poultry industry. Chicken breast is widely accepted as one of those most healthy things you can eat, correct? A chick goes from birth to full grown in NINE weeks because of they are fed and injected with. They grow so fast that they can't walk more than a couple of steps without falling over due to their bones can't develop enough in order to support their excessive weight.

If you must eat meat, try to find it from local farmers or places like Whole Foods/Sprouts etc where you can still get grass/proper grain fed meats.

For those of you wondering why I keep bringing up corn feed - corn is not a vegetable, it's a grain. Almost everything you see in stores now starts with being made from corn because it's a cheap filler. The problem with corn is that when it hits your system, it turns to sugar. Then add in the other ingredients, fillers and whatever else you eat it with and that stuff has sugar in it too. People are taking in WAY more sugar into their diets than they realize. Reason being why heart disease and diabetes is such a problem in American society now.

Users who are viewing this thread