McLeod RXT owners, Pedal heigh/release point questions

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
How do you know or tell if you have proper preload on the TOB?
By adjusting the firewall adjuster to have the same preload as you would with the stock spring/pawl adjuster.

I am assuming that as the clutch wares that this will need to be adjusted. So how can you tell you need to re-preload your TOB?
You should check it every so often to see if is the same as it was when stock. Just a little preload to keep pressure on the bearing so that it stays spinning is all that it needs.

Remember, with the stock spring/pawl adjuster it has a "Spring" that keeps this tension on the TOB for you. To adjust a stock quadrant you pull up on the clutch pedal. If it needed adjustement it will "Click" With a firewall adjuster, you have to do this manually. Mimicking the factory preload on the TOB. As it wears, you need to keep the same preload. It's as easy as turning the firewall adjuster outward a little as needed.

I just went though and expensive clutch cause I am sure I never had it properly adjusted. I don't want to do this again with-in 5k miles.

The RXT is going to be the next clutch I get.

Thanks!
I can't tell you how many clutches I have seen fail due to this. Proper adjustment is critical to clutch operation and longevity!

Alb Cobra

Established Member
Thanks. I never looked at mine when it was stock so that is why I was asking. I am assuming you can see the TOB thru when the inspection plate is removed to tell there is enough pressure on it to make contact.

I don't have a lot of knowledge with the clutch and its components. So I don't really know what I am looking at.

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Thanks. I never looked at mine when it was stock so that is why I was asking. I am assuming you can see the TOB thru when the inspection plate is removed to tell there is enough pressure on it to make contact.

I don't have a lot of knowledge with the clutch and its components. So I don't really know what I am looking at.
Yes you can see the TOB through the inspection plate. Also when you put your cable on you will be able to feel how much tension is on the TOB.

teamstorm02

Established Member
I just recently installed an rxt on my 03 ft with a t-56 swap and I have the firewall adjuster and quadrant and when I installed it my transmission was very notchy. So I was told to buy the adjustable pivot ball and I did.. they also said to have the throw out bearing spaced 1/8-1/4 inch away from the fingers. But now I see that u guys are saying it needssome kind of preload.. I'm very confused on what to do.. I really don't want to mess up my new clutch or anything in my transmission.. so could someone help me with this problem?

gargstang

Established Member
This question seems wrong to me but I am going to ask anyway. Would an adjustable cable, with a quadrant and firewall adjuster allow you to move the release point down? I can't really see how that would occur but someone local seems to think that would work.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I just recently installed an rxt on my 03 ft with a t-56 swap and I have the firewall adjuster and quadrant and when I installed it my transmission was very notchy. So I was told to buy the adjustable pivot ball and I did.. they also said to have the throw out bearing spaced 1/8-1/4 inch away from the fingers. But now I see that u guys are saying it needssome kind of preload.. I'm very confused on what to do.. I really don't want to mess up my new clutch or anything in my transmission.. so could someone help me with this problem?
You really won't mess up anything with your set up but maybe the TOB.

This question seems wrong to me but I am going to ask anyway. Would an adjustable cable, with a quadrant and firewall adjuster allow you to move the release point down? I can't really see how that would occur but someone local seems to think that would work.
No. an adjustable calbe will only adjust the actual "Length" of the cable. Same thing as the firewall adjuster will do except you have to climb under the car to do it and most adjustable cables are very poor quality when compared to OEM.

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
You really won't mess up anything with your set up but maybe the TOB.

No. an adjustable calbe will only adjust the actual "Length" of the cable. Same thing as the firewall adjuster will do except you have to climb under the car to do it and most adjustable cables are very poor quality when compared to OEM.

This. Adjustable cables are terrible quality. If you're that concerned about it try the adjustable pivot ball, if that doesn't work, go with the MM pedal height adjuster.

Last edited:

ScottsdaleSnake

Silver Bullet
Established Member
This is the way it is set up right from the factory on the 03-04 Cobras. The pawl/spring adjuster puts a small amount of tension on the TOB. Why would you change from that I do not understand. Never did. :??: :shrug:

Correct. The sleeve does not spin.

Correct.

Yes.

The entire clutch, pressure plate and flywheel all spin together as a whole. The flywheel spins and the pressure plate (that has the fingers) is bolted to it. So naturally it spins as well.

Right from the Ford Manual
The clutch is a single plate, dry friction clutch disc. The clutch disc has a splined hub with integral torsional springs. The clutch disc hub attaches to the input shaft.
Engine output is coupled to the transmission input shaft by friction existing between the clutch disc facings and the flywheel/clutch pressure plate assembly. The extent of this friction is directly related to the composition of the facing material and the magnitude of the clamping forces exerted by the clutch pressure plate and the flywheel on the facings. These factors limit the amount of torque that can be transmitted without slippage.
The clamping force is obtained from a diaphragm spring contained within the clutch pressure plate assembly. This force is developed during the attachment of the clutch pressure plate assembly to the flywheel.
The clutch system is disengaged when the clutch pedal is pressed and is accomplished when the release fingers are fully displaced toward the flywheel. This displacement removes the spring load from the clutch pressure plate and eliminates the coupling friction between the engine and the transmission.
When the clutch pedal is depressed a cable connected to the clutch release lever, hub and bearing actuates the clutch pressure plate diaphragm spring, releasing pressure on the clutch disc. This eliminates the engagement between the transmission and the engine.

Hope this helps.

Awesome! Thanks a lot for all the info...I learned something new today!

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
Got all my goodies in to do the swap on the thread I mentioned in my original post! Gonna get the car to the tech on monday or tuesday and see how big of a difference this makes so I can report back! :banana:

ScottsdaleSnake

Silver Bullet
Established Member
Got all my goodies in to do the swap on the thread I mentioned in my original post! Gonna get the car to the tech on monday or tuesday and see how big of a difference this makes so I can report back! :banana:

Hey, that's great! I went by my shop this past Wednesday to make any adjustments necessary, as the clutch is still breaking in. Turns out the firewall adjuster was turned too much outward...ironically, when they properly adjusted the tension, (turning firewall adjuster inward) my engagement point lowered from the very top to slightly below the brake pedal...:shrug: So, I'm not sure what I should do with the MM clutch lowering kit I received earlier in the week as I don't need to lower it any further. Anybody interested in it?

One thing though, since you are installing it on your car: when I mentioned to my shop that I ordered the kit (before they did the above-mentioned adjustment) they didn't have anything good to say about it as it has given customers more problems than not, which they ended up removing from customers' cars...they had a few old ones they removed laying around. One of the issues they encountered was that when using that kit, they found that it gave the cable a ton of slack (many inches) which required the firewall adjuster to compensate, but in some cases the firewall adjuster could not compensate enough. To be fair, I don't know if each customer that encountered problems had the necessary aftermarket quadrant and firewall adjuster the MM kit requires you to have. So, if they didn't, then that may be why they had issues. I hope yours turns out great and solves your high grabbing point! Keep us posted! :burnout:

svtcobra101

Established Member
this is a really good thread here guys,it helped me out big time..from stock i went to a 26 spline and a ram twin disc (adj pivot ball) and ill b honest i dont like it at all..yea it grabs like a mofo but it bein my dd the clutch isnt so friendly..chatters on me,,gotta leave kinda aggresive from a stop light,,and pedal effort isnt soft like i was told..cant even pull it onto the car lift without it smelling like clutch..so since day one i havent been happy...thinking about goin to the RXT..what u guys think? and also ya i have a small gap to get the TOB off the pressure plate but it makes sense now what u guys have talked about tob goin from a dead stop to 6500rpm,ya thats hard on the tob

gargstang

Established Member
Turns out the firewall adjuster was turned too much outward...ironically, when they properly adjusted the tension, (turning firewall adjuster inward) my engagement point lowered from the very top to slightly below the brake pedal...:shrug:

So i adjusted mine back in a bit and it lowered the release as well but now my TOB squeals. I may have to get the pivot ball to get the perfect setup.

Heater

Just Bolt On's
Established Member
How is the release on the RXT?

Is it on/off like a switch, or can you slip it like a stock style clutch?

I'm getting ready to buy a clutch for my car and needs something that doesn't have the on/off characteristic since I use my Cobra as my DD and my wife drives it frequently also.

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
How is the release on the RXT?

Is it on/off like a switch, or can you slip it like a stock style clutch?

I'm getting ready to buy a clutch for my car and needs something that doesn't have the on/off characteristic since I use my Cobra as my DD and my wife drives it frequently also.

Smooth when you want it to be, and grabby at the perfect point. Not quite as smooth as stock, but the light pedal sure makes up for it.

Users who are viewing this thread