Matt Hughes vs. Royce Gracie !

CKERR134

stangfan
Established Member
276SONIC03 said:
I guess you've forgotten about the 17 second knockout of prides greatest 205 fighter ever? shall i remind you of vitor belfor/ wanderlei silva? but +1 on these two not being compared, pride and ufc are completely different, imo. pride just seems to be more brutal than tactical, plus ufc doesnt bring in pro wrestlers to fill the fight cards. when i first started watching mma, i was all about pride. but ufc brings fights alot more often, and i'm just in it to see some skulls get cracked as often as possible. why get all excited today for a fight 6 months from now, then i have to wait another 6 months to see who wins the grand prix?ufc fights are just as exciting,imo.... just not as bloody usually. btw, just to throw a little gas on the fire...... gracie owns hughes.

you know what im not even going to argue with you because you are one of those guys that thinks he knows everything well you dont. you made pride sound like its a bunch of bar room brawlers donkey punching eachother, each one of those men you see eat & sleep fighting and the tool of there trade and have since they could remember. I have been fooling both BOTH BOTH since i can remember and my bro has fought in both pride has much more skilled fighters and whoever says different is just plain wrong i dont care what stat you throw out overall pride has it. This is not a byast opinion nothing against the glitz and glame of the ufc the owner now is making more money then they ever had but also the fighters get paid lee then they ever did now what since does that make hmmm. They just care about getting the vegas show with flashing lights and celebs watching. Hey my hats off to all fighters

stang99

yeasure said:
100% fact = show proof, yes i'm putting you on the spot and don't post some link to some forum with a bunch of dumb asses saying...."it's a lie because we know it's a lie".
You are correct in Royce/UFC calling it a loss but come on man, thats just bs, he didn't lose sh*t that night and would handed Howard his ass and then some.
Sorry but i don't call a loss unless the two fought and they didn't.
But yes on record it is a loss because he didn't finish the fights they had.
Now i want you to think about this......
We know Rickson was(maybe still is) the best the Gracies had in their family(Carlson will say otherwise).
Now think about this, every Gracie that fights anywhere is always in the top fights, always fighting for titles in whatever, now my question why would or anyone else think less of Rickson knowing he is/was the best the family had?
Rickson is out of his prime now so how do you know or anyone else for that matter know how good he is vs the fighters today(going by the link you posted)?

From watching(and training with) Rickson fight it looks to me he is still one of the best fighters we have today even though he's out of his prime.
Like i stated before, a lot of people are just out to bash the name and nothing more, been seeing it for years.
You should know this, first time i saw it happen was UFC3 after Kimo had a great fight against Royce.
People wanted to see them lose so bad some were saying Royce loss because he had trouble fighting one man, got hurt and couldn't go on.
Now about that listed posted i can believe it's made up but still yet how many fights has Rickson had really?
We know for sure it's been a lot(how many, no idea) he's had enough time to make a nice little record for himself.
Btw, you ever seen Rickson lose?......i havn't unless you count the when he was slammed......lmao
I mean dude get real, being slammed isn't a fight, it's a contest and nothing more.
I watch real fighting, not bs show fighting(yes i'm calling it show because it's not fighting to me).
Point is, in the real world Rickson is 100% one of the best out there and at one time probley coulda been the best we've seen to this date(maybe).
Anyone(this means you) knows by watching him fight he's not Royce Gracie or the normal Gracie, he stands out more then any other Gracie i've seen fight period. :beer:

Rolls>Rickson

stang99

69hahaha said:
So they announced last night this fight is going to take place in May. Matt says Gracie is behind the times and Gracie says he built this house. Predictions and thoughts?

Hughes by stoppage due to cuts to Royce face.

03Red10th

Kenne Bell Cobra
Established Member
CKERR134 said:
prides fighters would destroy any ufc fighter anyways thats what everyone needs to be watching

I totally agree. The UFC looks like a bunch of amateurs compared to Pride fighters. Chuck Liddell got his ass whooped by Quinton Jackson (a journeymen) in a Pride fight.

With that said Matt Hughes is a badass but I think he's going to be completely outclassed by Gracie. Just my $.02

I'm definitely going to watch it. :pop:

numbaonestunna said:
Anyone see Gracie fight the former Yokozuna? I don't think the power of Hughes will be that much of a problem, since Royce is used to hard strikers... since he's a weak striker, everyone is a hard striker to him! lol

http://www.graciemiami.com/videos/AkebonoVsRoyce.wmv

Video source: http://www.gracieva.com/

Steeltwo

Established Member
hughes will win due to the time limits.

he'll just sit in royces guard and do a lack luster ground and pound.

unless a miracle happens he isn't going to pass royces guard, and royce isn't going to try to risk a sub and give up his solid guard.

ccperales

Established Member
Booyah said:
Head stomping being one of the key rules that is different. Oppenent down you on your feet another.

Mentality, Pride is just that; they are fighting more for their style and/or discipline and just the sure rush of beating the hell out of someone. UFC has become more strategy with how much take downs count for etc.

Like I said before, I love Pride due to the pureness of the sport to real conflict but comparing the two fighter to fighter is kind of asinine. They train differently(especially mentally) so not really a good comparison. It would be like telling a kicker on a football team stand in for the running back.

Huh?!!, the only real difference is the cage. Pride wants you mostly in the middle of the ring, wheareas in UFC you can jam your oppponent into the cage and do some damage. Other than that there is not much of a difference. Pride allows kicks and stomps but bans elbows. UFC allows elbows but no stomps. The fighters train the same, that is why many of them have fought in BOTH organizations.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
ccperales said:
Huh?!!, the only real difference is the cage. Pride wants you mostly in the middle of the ring, wheareas in UFC you can jam your oppponent into the cage and do some damage. Other than that there is not much of a difference. Pride allows kicks and stomps but bans elbows. UFC allows elbows but no stomps. The fighters train the same, that is why many of them have fought in BOTH organizations.

No kidding!? The UFC uses a cage, wow, I am enlightened. If you notice I'm not talking about the physical aspect, there's way more to fighting than just training physically. But thanks for letting me know the UFC uses a cage while Pride doesn't.

nchirico

MMA Junkie
Established Member
My prediction: Hughes will submit or win by referee stoppage. Hes younger, stronger, and at teh top of his game. Hes well rounded and tenacious, perfectly built for the sport similar to ken shamrock or andre arlovski. However, pride and ufc are two seperate entities. fighting for pride and fighting for a six figure contract envoke two seperate fighting mentalities. Bottom line: can we say Mirko Krokov :rockon:

:beer:

stang99

nchirico said:
My prediction: Hughes will submit or win by referee stoppage. Hes younger, stronger, and at teh top of his game. Hes well rounded and tenacious, perfectly built for the sport similar to ken shamrock or andre arlovski. However, pride and ufc are two seperate entities. fighting for pride and fighting for a six figure contract envoke two seperate fighting mentalities. Bottom line: can we say Mirko Krokov :rockon:

:beer:

Miletich camp are beasts man.

Pro SNIVELER

Banned
CKERR134 said:
you know what im not even going to argue with you because you are one of those guys that thinks he knows everything well you dont. you made pride sound like its a bunch of bar room brawlers donkey punching eachother, each one of those men you see eat & sleep fighting and the tool of there trade and have since they could remember. I have been fooling both BOTH BOTH since i can remember and my bro has fought in both pride has much more skilled fighters and whoever says different is just plain wrong i dont care what stat you throw out overall pride has it. This is not a byast opinion nothing against the glitz and glame of the ufc the owner now is making more money then they ever had but also the fighters get paid lee then they ever did now what since does that make hmmm. They just care about getting the vegas show with flashing lights and celebs watching. Hey my hats off to all fighters

where do you get this??? let me clarify, since it seems your brother in law seems to be getting you with too many head shots. first off, i never said pride was no good or unskilled. WHAT I SAID WAS, pride fighters are more brutal than ufc fighters. that is a simple observation, not a flame, ok? i have seen pro wrestlers on pride, i think its pretty gay, but i had absolutely no problem watching them get their asses whooped.MY top five favorite MMA fighters FEDOR, CROCOP, Q.JACKSON,W.SILVA, & ANDREI ARLOVSKI. seems to me, my favorites are from pride?i do not know how you can come off calling me a know it all, especially after the s*** you post. kinda like the pot calling the kettle black,imo. also, i did not say that i didnt like pride. WHAT I SAID WAS, i dont like the fact that pride PPV's are every 4,5,6 months apart. ufc's being every 2 or 3 months, lead me to watch and keep up with UFC more. i agree with you 110% about the whole money thing, i guess dana white is just a tight ass when it comes to money. OR, maybe when he starts selling out 20-30k plus seats AND millions in ppv revenues, ufc fighters would see a little more $$$. pride is huge in japan, they have no problem selling out that big ass tokyo dome plus all of us at home paying to see it on tv. give it time, ufc is really just starting to make a househould for itself and broaden its audience. as far as the whole belfor/silvia crack, that was just a yank at your chain. worked great too, imo. now, i need you to finish reading this, take your blood pressure medicine, read it again, comprehend what i have typed....... then continue to not argue with me.

ccperales

Established Member
Booyah said:
No kidding!? The UFC uses a cage, wow, I am enlightened. If you notice I'm not talking about the physical aspect, there's way more to fighting than just training physically. But thanks for letting me know the UFC uses a cage while Pride doesn't.

I would never have responded were it not for your silly second and third paragraphs. Just how different do guys in chute box train than guys in some of the american gyms? The ONLY difference is some of the physical rules and parameters. MMA Fighting is MMA Fighting. There is no difference other than the ones we have already pointed out.

HPCobra04

Established Member
CKERR134 said:

Kerr and Coleman, two of my favorites of all time:rockon:

CKERR134

stangfan
Established Member
. fighting for pride and fighting for a six figure contract envoke two seperate fighting mentalities. Bottom line: can we say Mirko Krokov :rockon:

:beer:[/QUOTE]

ahh whats are you saying pride fight for penuts dude those fighters get paid a hell of lot better they just dont fight as much, work less pay more sounds good to me. Also pride sells out the tokyo dome thats 55,000 people ufc=5,000 or maybe 10,000

Steeltwo

Established Member
CKERR134 said:
ufc=5,000 or maybe 10,000

the last venue sold I think 33 thousand.
chuck randy 3 sold out in less a week.

i dunno if i'm going to order chuck randy 3. it's going to be 40 bones. sure it's not THAT much more. But it seems zuffa thinks it isn't going to stop anyone.

well, it's going to stop me :(

Users who are viewing this thread