Matt Hughes vs. Royce Gracie !

Floridalawdog

Established Member
CKERR134 said:
my brother invented it
I caught it. Is Mark Kerr your brother. If so, that awesome. :rockon:

I think if Royce wears the gi, that He may be able to counter the strength of Hughes.

04mellowyellow

Ford Nut
Established Member
Booyah said:
You're kidding right? So by your thinking, Bruce Lee, with his complete lack of ground/grappling skills, could be a competitive fighter today? I mean in his time he was phenominal but that was 30 years ago.

Before you think to hard on it, just think back to UFC1 and then think of how the UFC is today. 90% of the fighters you saw in UFC1 would be destroyed by today's competitors.

MMA is just like war, it changes as people learn better things and see what someone else knows.

UFC1 was the most entertaining UFC brah. I'm tired of seeing all that wrestling WWF crap.

SLWSNKE

Banned
Floridalawdog said:

I think if Royce wears the gi, that He may be able to counter the strength of Hughes.
????????? Is he?

If so, The Smashing Machine is a awesome movie.

Lorne

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
CKERR134 said:
prides fighters would destroy any ufc fighter anyways thats what everyone needs to be watching

Different set of rules completely. I love Pride also but two different mentalities.

simpman

game artist
Established Member
TheMac said:
he retired 3-2 in UFC fighting i believe.

He left the UFC 9-1-1 I believe. In UFC 3 he fought and beat Kimo but walked out to the Octagon for his next fight and was not able to start the fight due to fatigue so it counted as a loss against Harold Howard. His tie was with his second fight with Ken Shamrock.

Last edited:

simpman

game artist
Established Member
yeasure said:
Thats a good question who he is fighting in that video.
But you just made my point pretty much.
You statement doesn't hold up for a number of reasons.....
You say Ruas camp made this all up but the Gracies in fact show him fighting on "their" video.
So that is not correct, he is fighting someone from their camp 100%.
My next question to you is, how on gods green earth could you know who is fighting in that video honestly?!?!(i kinda set you up for this).
Please post all the info you have on the Gracies fighting before coming to america(you can't so don't even try but if feel the need go for it).
Until i hear it from the mouth of Rickson himself i'm not sure who Ruas has fought.
Another thing, Ruas is from the same area as them, even fights like them(somewhat, you can see he has an ok ground game).
So all this, he didn't fight so and so because i read it on a forum is just people talking.
Until i see 100% proof this is incorrect i'll stay open on this subject.
Enough of this anyway......
Imo i think Hughes will win unless he gets very wild and tries to end the fight fast.
If he plays it smart should be a pretty easy pound and ground match for him, him pounding Royce until he knocks him out(probley won't happen) or the ref stops it(probley what will happen).
But in the world of fighting anything can happen so it's up in the air.
My pick is Hughes with the Ref stopping the fight(TKO). :beer:

My original point was Ruas never fought Rickson and Rickson's record is falsly inflated. THIS IS 100% FACT. Then you stated he fought a Gracie. I can't say this is 100% wrong but I can say with a strong belief that he has not. The video that shows him fighting, is him fighting a Gracie Representative(a top student). Not a Gracie. This video is on the Gracie IN ACTION videos. Notice they don't show the entire video just a small section of it. That's because in the end I believe it was a draw.

Ruas fights like them because he fought in the system called Lutra Livre which is known as the "poor" sytem of JiuJitsu. It's called that because JiuJitsu is expensive in Brazil and not everyone can afford it. So those who can't do this style. It's also more no gi as well. He now has his own system he made called Ruas Vale Tudo. I know who is fighting in that video because it's documented. The guys last name is Pequina(or something close like that, I'm going off memory). He was a top Gracie student.

It's not that hard to find the Gracie history if you try. I may not know every single fight they ever had but a Gracie/Ruas fight would be a bigger than an average fight and I would put money on the fact that you will never ever find any picture or video of Ruas and Rickson fighting.

Anyways, this is all getting off topic and I'm sure people are getting tired of reading it.

simpman

game artist
Established Member
04mellowyellow said:
I quit watching this stuff because it reminds me of the WWF

Reminds you of the WWF??? :dw:

If all you want to see is kicking and punching minus the grappling you should watch k-1 kickboxing.

simpman

game artist
Established Member
Floridalawdog said:

I don't think he can because of the Las Vegas rules. They don't allow a gi in the UFC anymore. He'll probably wear board shorts.

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
100% fact = show proof, yes i'm putting you on the spot and don't post some link to some forum with a bunch of dumb asses saying...."it's a lie because we know it's a lie".
You are correct in Royce/UFC calling it a loss but come on man, thats just bs, he didn't lose sh*t that night and would handed Howard his ass and then some.
Sorry but i don't call a loss unless the two fought and they didn't.
But yes on record it is a loss because he didn't finish the fights they had.
Now i want you to think about this......
We know Rickson was(maybe still is) the best the Gracies had in their family(Carlson will say otherwise).
Now think about this, every Gracie that fights anywhere is always in the top fights, always fighting for titles in whatever, now my question why would or anyone else think less of Rickson knowing he is/was the best the family had?
Rickson is out of his prime now so how do you know or anyone else for that matter know how good he is vs the fighters today(going by the link you posted)?

From watching(and training with) Rickson fight it looks to me he is still one of the best fighters we have today even though he's out of his prime.
Like i stated before, a lot of people are just out to bash the name and nothing more, been seeing it for years.
You should know this, first time i saw it happen was UFC3 after Kimo had a great fight against Royce.
People wanted to see them lose so bad some were saying Royce loss because he had trouble fighting one man, got hurt and couldn't go on.
Now about that listed posted i can believe it's made up but still yet how many fights has Rickson had really?
We know for sure it's been a lot(how many, no idea) he's had enough time to make a nice little record for himself.
Btw, you ever seen Rickson lose?......i havn't unless you count the when he was slammed......lmao
I mean dude get real, being slammed isn't a fight, it's a contest and nothing more.
I watch real fighting, not bs show fighting(yes i'm calling it show because it's not fighting to me).
Point is, in the real world Rickson is 100% one of the best out there and at one time probley coulda been the best we've seen to this date(maybe).
Anyone(this means you) knows by watching him fight he's not Royce Gracie or the normal Gracie, he stands out more then any other Gracie i've seen fight period. :beer:

Last edited:

CKERR134

stangfan
Established Member
Floridalawdog said:

well that would make sence but really its mark coleman that is my brother he has been with my sister for 12 years but i do know mark kerr him and coleman use to be tight

CKERR134

stangfan
Established Member
Booyah said:
Different set of rules completely. I love Pride also but two different mentalities.

explain to me how the rules are so very different i mean to say two different mentalities is kinda wrong a couple rules are different but not many.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Head stomping being one of the key rules that is different. Oppenent down you on your feet another.

Mentality, Pride is just that; they are fighting more for their style and/or discipline and just the sure rush of beating the hell out of someone. UFC has become more strategy with how much take downs count for etc.

Like I said before, I love Pride due to the pureness of the sport to real conflict but comparing the two fighter to fighter is kind of asinine. They train differently(especially mentally) so not really a good comparison. It would be like telling a kicker on a football team stand in for the running back.

Squabbin

Established Member
Hughes has shown that very good jiujitsu fighters are his weakness. Newton had him out with the standing triangle and Penn beat him in a rather convincing manner via Rear Naked Choke. Royce is going to get taken down, thats not even a question in my mind. The main issue is wether or not hughes will be able to keep from getting submitted cuz if he can he's going to grind out another long 5 round decision...

Pro SNIVELER

Banned
CKERR134 said:
prides fighters would destroy any ufc fighter anyways thats what everyone needs to be watching

I guess you've forgotten about the 17 second knockout of prides greatest 205 fighter ever? shall i remind you of vitor belfor/ wanderlei silva? but +1 on these two not being compared, pride and ufc are completely different, imo. pride just seems to be more brutal than tactical, plus ufc doesnt bring in pro wrestlers to fill the fight cards. when i first started watching mma, i was all about pride. but ufc brings fights alot more often, and i'm just in it to see some skulls get cracked as often as possible. why get all excited today for a fight 6 months from now, then i have to wait another 6 months to see who wins the grand prix?ufc fights are just as exciting,imo.... just not as bloody usually. btw, just to throw a little gas on the fire...... gracie owns hughes.

horseplay

Crazy MMA Junkie
Established Member
I was gonna post when i saw... My heart was pumping when they had another megafight. I would not be suprised if royce gets a submission even thought matt is my favorite fighter...When he pulled that submission on george in like 3 secs before the bell rung in the 1st round. It may be a upset in the making.

skippy32

Established Member
the whole point of the gracies starting bjj was for the smaller guy to have an advantage.don't get me wrong if it turns into a ground and pound royce could be in trouble.i'll take royce 2nd round.

Users who are viewing this thread