Matt Hughes vs. Royce Gracie !

69hahaha

Established Member
So they announced last night this fight is going to take place in May. Matt says Gracie is behind the times and Gracie says he built this house. Predictions and thoughts?

Silver04L

93 Octane Member
Established Member
There's also a thread in smack down on this topic....I think it'll be a good fight.

TheMac

Greatest Ever
Established Member
gracies face is in trouble....Hughes takes him out in the first round....maybe 2nd if he feels sorry for the ol man.

Mc Q 6185

Established Member
wait, gracie is one of the original ufc fighters, right? That'll be interesting, Hughs is a freakin' beast! Too bad the damned cable was revised.... black box is now just that, an obsolete black metal/plastic box that enjoys sitting atop my tv... lemme know the outcome.

simpman

game artist
Established Member
Don't rule Gracie out. Penn submitted Hughes rather easily. Newton had Hughes out cold in a standing triangle. If you look at Trigg vs Hughes 2, Trigg rocked him with some punches that if it was any other fighter the refs would most likely have stopped. Royce may be old but he's still able. He's got one of the best guards in MMA so he has a good chance of catching Hughes.

numbaonestunna

Established Member
bah...

simpman said:
Don't rule Gracie out. Penn submitted Hughes rather easily. Newton had Hughes out cold in a standing triangle. If you look at Trigg vs Hughes 2, Trigg rocked him with some punches that if it was any other fighter the refs would most likely have stopped. Royce may be old but he's still able. He's got one of the best guards in MMA so he has a good chance of catching Hughes.

Skill wise, Royce is better. Hughes has more power and better striking, but ground game goes to the Gracie family. Royce is awesome, but he's not even the best of the Gracie family! Check out Rickson Gracie, I think he's fought over 3000 fights, and was never defeated. Ever.

Royce used to say he trained with his brothers in preparation for UFC, and after training with them, was glad to fight the UFC opponents because the oppponents were so much easier!

I always thought it would be sweet to see Hughes or Franklin gain or drop a weight class and fight, or Franklin fight Liddell at 205.

numbaonestunna

Established Member
Anyone see Gracie fight the former Yokozuna? I don't think the power of Hughes will be that much of a problem, since Royce is used to hard strikers... since he's a weak striker, everyone is a hard striker to him! lol

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
I think that if Hughes gets to aggressive he will get submitted. But I also think Gracie is behind the times and doesn't really know what to expect out of the newer UFC fighters.

simpman

game artist
Established Member
That rumor about Rickson winning 3000 is not true. Actually the rumor list was around 400 I believe but he did count training and sparring sessions. He would do seminars and the spar with everyone for hours straight. He did lose one match. It was a Sambo tournament. He says he didn't know the rules said if you were thrown, you lose. Mark Tripp threw him.

As for Royce, his only real loss is to Sakuraba. They fought for like 2 hours or something like that and Royce hurt his foot and eventually quit. To his credit Sak did tap at one point but the ref didn't stop it. It's debatable if it was a real tap or Sak was just trying to bait him to let go of the submission.

He fought Yoshida, a Japanese Olympic Gold Judo guy twice. The first one the ref stopped it because they thought Royce was choked out and clearly wasn't. The fight shouldn't have been stopped as Royce was never in danger. Their second fight Royce took off the gi top and beat the crap out of Yoshida.

He fought Akebono and armbarred him. He was outweighed by at least 300lbs. He had a few other fights in Japan here and there. He just fought a Japanese fighter to a draw this past new years. So he's still active in the game.

FuryShift

You are slow.
Established Member
I don't see how you can be behind the times. Fighting is fighting. I'm sure both fighters will be in superb condition, but Hughes' ****y ass will get taken down.

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
simpman said:
That rumor about Rickson winning 3000 is not true. Actually the rumor list was around 400 I believe but he did count training and sparring sessions. He would do seminars and the spar with everyone for hours straight. He did lose one match. It was a Sambo tournament. He says he didn't know the rules said if you were thrown, you lose. Mark Tripp threw him.

If you do a search on Frank Shamrocks forum one of those guys posted Rickson's fight record.
It is 100% 400+ and this isn't training, all real fights.
He does have a tie/draw on his record with Marco Ruas. :beer:

Last edited:

einzatgroupen

03 cobra
Established Member
FuryShift said:
I don't see how you can be behind the times. Fighting is fighting. I'm sure both fighters will be in superb condition, but Hughes' ****y ass will get taken down.

Too bad Matt Hughes is also very good on the ground. BUt I would never count out any of the Gracie family.

einzatgroupen

03 cobra
Established Member
simpman said:

Watch Trigg vs. Hughes two again. Matt got a shot in the webo rancheros, and the ref did not stop the fight for an (adjustment) NOt to the score but to nut protection.

simpman

game artist
Established Member
yeasure said:
If you do a search on Frank Shamrocks forum one of those guys posted Rickson's fight record.
It is 100% 400+ and this isn't training, all real fights.
He does have a tie/draw on his record with Marco Ruas. :beer:

I'm sorry but this is wrong. I've seen that fight record and it's BS. I've been around the MMA game since 94'. and know just about everything there is to know about them(gracie's). BUT..... Rickson never fought Ruas. This was something started by the ufc to build the hype about Marco back at ufc 6 or 7. Go to adcombat.com forums and ask about it. There was a huge post about it. I tried to search it for you but their stupid search feature only goes back so far.

And Mark Tripp threw him in a Sambo Tournament to give him his 1 official loss. Rickson's biggest fights were with Zulu back in the 80's. Rickson is one of the best BJJ practioners of all time, if not the best. But that record is inflated.

Users who are viewing this thread