Mass. lottery winner has already claimed her ticket.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Hater's gunna hate...

I do agree, stupid move collecting the winnings without talking to a few financial advisers and/or lawyers first. At least they collect the taxes upfront so she can't go full Mayweather. Definitely would have went the route of setting up a trust and claiming it anonymously though.

You can't claim it anonymously in Massachusetts.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
You can't claim it anonymously in Massachusetts.

Yes and no, that is where the trust comes in. You set up a trust and the trust claims the prize, then a representative of the trust can retrieve the money. So yes, you can't claim the prize directly and remain anonymous but you can get the money anonymously.

ryanro24

Established Member
Exactly what I told my wife. Wins the biggest single jackpot in history. Claims it the next morning. No talking to a CPA, tax attorney etc... Nothing. Fool.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The representative stated that they would ensure she got the resources needed to help her make wise financial decisions. I'm sure some of the advice will be good, but I'd only trust it for general direction. I'd then take sufficient time to put together a solid financial advisory team (with proven experts). I do agree that she moved too quickly to claim the money.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I can go both ways. Yes it might not have been smart to claim it so fast, but what's the difference between getting a good tax lawyer before or after? Only difference is they know you before hand now.

On the aspect of lotto winners statistics, while facts are facts, I see them as slight twisted. Yes a whole lot of them do blow it all. Yes, it triples your chances of death. ....however, I question those who play frequently. I play maybe twice a year. I'm financially smart. I'm not broke. The people I see/hear playing weekly, well, I question their financial standings. So I see it as more often the winners are not the most financially smart, so that's the reason they can't handle winning. Hand me 330 million, 30 goes into instant purchases, 50 into my bank account, and 250 into a stupid safe investment plan. 1% would be 2.5 million a year to live on...and that's after I already blew 30 million on houses and cars, and have 50 million still in the bank. See, easy. I would be just fine.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
It's ridiculous how much interest is made on such a large chunk of change just be putting it in the safest places.

I'd like to think 300 million would get my kids, grandkids, and probably great grandkids squared away pretty comfortably through most of their lives.

Also, my wife get rounded away..not squared.. no lottery winner needs a wife with average fun bags...

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
It seemed like the speaker felt that it was her show and the winner should look out for her!

blk02edge

Established Member
She looks exactly like my mom's friend who won 'only' $1.1M like 12 years ago. Even with that relatively low amount she went insane and her husband got hit by a train.... messed up stuff

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
True story. A buddy of mine's parents hit the Florida Lotto when it first started back in the 90's. He and I were in high school together. They got 7 mil and chose to get it over the 20yr span. IIRC after taxes it was something like 200k a year.

In school he had friends come out of the woodwork. Dudes always asking for money. He was wearing all name brand stuff at the time. Brand new full size truck with all the bells and whistles.

After a couple of years, his parents split. Dad ran away with a girl half his age. Court battles, etc. Dad lost his share of the winnings and lived in a trailer. Mom got the rest of the money and lived in a nice home in Odessa.

Money can't always buy happiness.................but F*CK I'd be willing to get it a try! haha.

-Mark

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I figure, collect the money but then sit on it for the most part. Collect the interest and take some time to find the financial planners that you can trust and then work on diversifying it. It's hard to say what you would actually do with that much money if you got it, but I would love to see it start making money before I really started to spend. You obviously see all the horror stories so you know right off the bat you need to do something different.

Kiohtee

Established Member
**** investing at that point. $330M is more than I would make in my lifetime anyway, so long as I could find a good place to keep it I wouldn't worry about anything else. Trust me, I won't be going broke.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
**** investing at that point. $330M is more than I would make in my lifetime anyway, so long as I could find a good place to keep it I wouldn't worry about anything else. Trust me, I won't be going broke.
Think about how much you would be pulling in with even just a low interest rate. It would be the easiest money you would ever make. We're talking millions of dollars and you wouldn't have to do hardly a thing except watch it grow.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would buy a 10 bedroom house, and stuff all the mattresses with my cash.

Then in my 15 bathrooms, have one of these:
100-bill-toilet-paper-roll.jpg

Kiohtee

Established Member
Think about how much you would be pulling in with even just a low interest rate. It would be the easiest money you would ever make. We're talking millions of dollars and you wouldn't have to do hardly a thing except watch it grow.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

If my math is correct, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's not, $330M in a savings account earning .50% interest would net you $2M+ a year. And a interest rate that low shouldn't be hard to find anywhere if I had to guess. The only problem you run into is having that money covered federally, since the FDIC stops at $250K IIRC.

Problems I will never have to worry about solving brother. Lol

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
If my math is correct, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's not, $330M in a savings account earning .50% interest would net you $2M+ a year. And a interest rate that low shouldn't be hard to find anywhere if I had to guess. The only problem you run into is having that money covered federally, since the FDIC stops at $250K IIRC.

Problems I will never have to worry about solving brother. Lol

I could be wrong but that is 250k per account not per person. So you could open up a ton of accounts in your name.

EDIT: Nevermind. lol. I was wrong:
The FDIC insures deposits according to the ownership category in which the funds are insured and how the accounts are titled. The standard deposit insurance coverage limit is $250,000 per depositor, per FDIC-insured bank, per ownership category.

https://www.fdic.gov/deposit/deposits/faq.html

-Mark

Users who are viewing this thread