Mass Air Meter Advice

cobrapwr

Established Member
Looking at upgrading the mass air. Im running the Accufab 60mm Throttle Body. What would be the best meter to run?

mrmustangman357

Established Member
WHAT makes you think going to a bigger MAF will give you more power? wouldnt you want to go to a cold air intake and headers before a bigger MAF?

Jamie R.

Established Member
I picked a honest 10 horsepower increase at the rear tires and this was verified by doing this while the car was still on the dyno. I used a 90mm lightning mass air meter. The tuner will have to make some adjustments for the meter to work properly, now my car was pretty close and had to have very little adjustment done to it. Hey it this mod works and I was surprised!!

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
there are only two ways for a maf to cause a power increase:

1. If it is the restriction in the intake, which it isn't on a stockish car.
2. By leaning out the A/F, which is the most likely.

Jamie R.

Established Member
Quad you always have sound advice about these cars because you have done and been through so much with yours, but the 90mm maf worked on my car. I have JLT piping and that is not restrictive and we had finished tuning the car and that's when I wanted to try the 90mm maf. When I went to install the 90 mm maf, Eric Brooks ( my friend that tuned the car & owner of Modularfords.com) did not think it would work and I was skeptical also, but it did. Eric had to do very little adjustment to the tune and if I'm not mistaken the tune did'nt get lean with the meter. I will say this though, I am growing tired of always having to defend the fact that the 90mm maf works and more than likely from now on out I will be mum on the topic and just sit here and smile when I read someone ask about it because this is the cheapest hp gain that you can put on one of these cars.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

Last edited:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
ok, I believe you got the gain, but I'm curious as to HOW so that I may further educate myself. I'm wondering if you have a theory as to why you gained this power?

Jamie R.

Established Member
I don't know other than 90mm's is larger than 80mm's to draw air through. Ask eric as he can send you the dyno graphs from the before and after along with telling you what he did. I'm pretty much done with this mass air meter deal from here on out, now I know why Ben ( guy that did this same mod, made power from it and got ?'s about it) does'nt post about this mod anymore. This is the cheapest hp per dollar you can get for one of these cars other than a tune if yours is way off, but no more from me saying this. Have a happy 4th.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

cobrapwr

Established Member
Thanks for the advice from all.

1. (mrmustangman357) WHAT makes you think going to a bigger MAF will give you more power? wouldnt you want to go to a cold air intake and headers before a bigger MAF? To me more air in results in more air out. CAI and headers are both upgrades on the horizon but as stated by Jamie this seems like the cheapest hp per dollar at this time.

2. (Solo500) It really depends. What plans do you have for the car? N/A or Blown? Still on the fence for the future power adder. At this particular time the 100 shot tripple threat system is looking very appealing for the bang-for-buck. Whether it be that or a power adder I would think that the MAF would complement all.

3. (Quadcammer) Don't bother. May be sound advice but there are to many folks out there that have gotten results to just discount the bolt on.

Jamie, thanks for the input. I will definetly take your advice and probably go with the 90mm.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I'm with Quad on this one.
I'd really like to see what Jamie's tuner did also.

That is not normal.
Normal is unless it is pegged or broke it isn't worth it.
Gains have been made by going aftermarket but that is only due to it leaning out a little.
Leaning out with no way to monitor A/F= disaster waiting to happen.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
10rwhp is an unheard of gain for only a bolt on engine. I've experienced no more than 3rwhp on a 300rwhp car and even some of that could be attributed to a 1 deg timing advance.

I've seen higher gains when the engines get into the 350rwhp range but even then they were much less than 10rwhp.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
when I tested the 90MM Lightning on the Dyno it caused a SERIOUS Lean condition, the MAF transfer curve needs to be adjusted in the Tune, it ISN'T a direct bolt on part! I will say this when you have a JLT RAI that stock meter has the smallest opening in the straight shot, I can see a correctly calibrated Lightning meter making some power!

Last edited:

edswhite99

Established Member
Seems like the larger maf would help with a cai kit and tune. For under a $100, I think it's work a shot.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Jaime,

Did you already have a tune, intake and full exhaust on the car when the Mass Air was added? I don't remember. I too was always under the impression that the stock MAFs were fine until the horsepower levels were significantly increased.

Interesting, I am not sure I have ever seen the two sides of this discussion.... PM me if you prefer....

-Kevin

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Actually, Yes when I come to think of it, the 90mm MAF can and WILL help increase HP.

Here is why: If the car is already running rich, and would'nt putting in a 90mm MAF lean the car out a little and ALSO produce HP gains at the same time?

I do not think the 90mm MAF may work on all/every of our setups, but in the above condition, I think it will yield some good gains.

Jamie, I'm with you on this. Do you have the dyno sheets? Before and After?

I think the proof is right there.

Last edited:

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
I'm not going to argue one way or the other because I have no facts to base an argument on. However, like mentioned above, if your current meter is not pegged, common sense says there's no power to be gained.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
incase anyone is wondering 460RWHP is about the limit for the 90mm L Maf

mine is as close to being pegged as it can be.....my MAF counts are in the 980s lol

Users who are viewing this thread