Mass Air Meter Advice

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Actually, Yes when I come to think of it, the 90mm MAF can and WILL help increase HP.

Here is why: If the car is already running rich, and would'nt putting in a 90mm MAF lean the car out a little and ALSO produce HP gains at the same time?

I do not think the 90mm MAF may work on all/every of our setups, but in the above condition, I think it will yield some good gains.

Jamie, I'm with you on this. Do you have the dyno sheets? Before and After?

I think the proof is right there.

That is correct, same with a C&L or Pro-m MAF.
That is exactly how they get the claimed HP, by leaning out.

However, leaning out with no way to monitor is not a good idea.

As far as Gaining after the tune, I'll bet that if the factory MAF wasn't maxed out then there were gains to be had with it also in a tune.

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
A pegged meter only means the electronics have reached their limit based on a housing that is at its' limit. A housing doesnt have to be maxed out before it is creating some restriction.

Worth repeating: Jamies car was tuned before and after the install, same day, by a very competent tuner. This is the only same day, tune before and after install I know of so it deserves a second look.

SVTPower97

she's broken :(
Established Member
What is the limit of a stock unit? I think a maf along with a single blade throttle body would be a good addition for someone planning on running a short runner. I would love to get a steal on a 90 maf, single blade throttle body, intake spacer and then go for the Naz PSR. I figure since I am planning on doing about everything intake wise minus going into the heads or cams yet it would be worth investing in those pieces as well, specially since they can both be bought in our market section for under 225 if you wait around.

gmsux

Established Member
I have the Lmaf on my stock longblock, t/b, inlet tubing, exhaust manifolds, and with a sb filter and generated 310rwhp on a mustang dyno. I did not do a before/after test but... I think 310 on a MD is pretty good for a stock motor with only the Lmaf....

I have the PSR and will dyno on 8/15 providing the car and I survive HPDE on the 14th... LOL.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
A pegged meter only means the electronics have reached their limit based on a housing that is at its' limit. A housing doesnt have to be maxed out before it is creating some restriction.

Worth repeating: Jamies car was tuned before and after the install, same day, by a very competent tuner. This is the only same day, tune before and after install I know of so it deserves a second look.

The stock housing should flow enough air for 99% of the motors out there.
The TB and other items in the intake tract will restrict before the housing does.

Worth Repeating: it is still possible that he spent more time on the 90mm to get it right or didn't spend enough time on the stocker to get the most out of it.
It is also possible that the stocker had an issue.
There are plenty possibilities but it is not the norm to gain 10rwhp on a MAF change after tuning.

SVTPower97

Established Member
hey lets keep this one going...interesting thread to read...lets hear some more opinions from people who have gained hp from them and people who havent...lets see some dyno sheets from Jamie...and hell the rest of you tell us how it felt before you put it on and after...if you are anything like me soon as you put that new part on you take it out on the street and wake up all the damn neighbors with a test drive

Brutal Metal

Established Member
hey lets keep this one going...interesting thread to read...lets hear some more opinions from people who have gained hp from them and people who havent...lets see some dyno sheets from Jamie...and hell the rest of you tell us how it felt before you put it on and after...if you are anything like me soon as you put that new part on you take it out on the street and wake up all the damn neighbors with a test drive
You DON'T wanna see my A/F after I threw on the 90MM Lighting, it went WAY LEAN as mentioned before cause you need a custom tune to run it!

Brutal Metal

Established Member
It's actually been so Hot I haven't sent Rick at Amazon my datalogs and Air Fuel figures yet, but I have everything ready on my laptop to send him next week, with the stock MAF and JLT RAI Ricks inital tune was a little rich in the mixture which he'll see, I'm also gonna have him adjust to the MAF tranfer curve for the 90MM and TURN THE KNOCKS OFF!!
And the Vortech isn't going in til winter here in FLA.!! I'm N/A!

SVTPower97

Established Member
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/new-edge-cobras-51/526457-new-dyno-numbers.html

That search function is magic. Enjoy and this is the last I will say on this topic. Anybody else wanna spend money on a meter /dyno time is more than welcome. I'm liking virtualSVT's saying in his sig more and more.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

that was interesting jamie...i think after reading that if you plan on having your car tuned soon buying one in the market section for 75 which is what they are going for is well worth it...hell 75$ for 8 hp is a hell of a deal considering you pay close to 900 for 30 hp with other mods

SVTPower97

Established Member
two people with very positive results thanks Brutal and Jamie

Brutal-you will like the knocks turned off i got mine just recently and it made a big difference

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Yeah I can't wait to do that, I was just reviewing my past datalogs and the knocks are still on and pulling Lots of WOT timing, I'm seeing it creep into the teens at times!

SVTPower97

Established Member
I had mine unplugged due to my motor swap and not knowing what to do with them, so i went back and plugged them up and then a few days later got them turned off. It was a huge difference, defenitly worth doing.

dredg9

Established Member
i have a c&l 95mm maf that ive had sitting around forever. if anyones interested- 50 bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread