Mandatory Black Box in All New Cars

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
They could just tie it to the cars ECU and basically make it impossible to bypass... if they wanted. A separate standalone system could fix that, but would cost $$$.

That's basically all it is. Extra memory in the ECU to maintain a record or past events.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
"Similar in concept to the familiar black boxes used in commercial aircraft for decades, the boxes are expected to record information about speed, seat belt use and brake application in the final seconds leading up to an accident, the data can be retrieved for later analysis"

hasnt this been in place for a while now in most cars? :shrug: our 2004 cobras have this in it, fords since 1999 and gm cars have had it in their cars since 1996 (?)

i forget the years exactly but we had discussed this in depth on here a few years ago, i will try to find the thread.

but iirc, this has already been in place, the only news is that now all new cars sold MUST have it

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
They could just tie it to the cars ECU and basically make it impossible to bypass... if they wanted. A separate standalone system could fix that, but would cost $$$.

and it would never pass an OBDII diagnostic emissions test.

CPRsm

Take off your catalytic converters and try to explain during a visual inspection it's your property.
The argument could be made that the lack of cats would effect others. I can't see the same for the box.

Try standing by YOUR mailbox with a bat and smashing it to pieces right in front of your postman.

Just keeping with the theme.

You mean the mailbox that is owned by the fed gov ?

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
The argument could be made that the lack of cats would effect others. I can't see the same for the box.

There is no argument to be made if they make tampering with a black box a federal crime.

I mean, you could drag it into supreme court, but the whole "it's my property" isn't much of an argument if there is a law against it.

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
Did you guys miss the part where it was pointed out that your cars/trucks likely have black boxes already?

Exactly.... im surprised it took the second page for someone to ask this.
How do we know for sure that our cars dont already have these black boxes?

SLVRBLT

Such is Life....
Established Member
Did you guys miss the part where it was pointed out that your cars/trucks likely have black boxes already?

If it did, I would be getting a lot of tickets through my mail. Plus mine came from Canada, they dont care. :lol1:

BTW, i'm still on the first page, 40 posts per page ftw!!

Last edited:

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
how? the law doesnt require you to own a car

The law doesn't require you to own a house either, so how about putting a video camera in every room in your house which is streamed to the local authorities so they can 'monitor' you in case you are getting robbed or doing something illegal? You wouldn't even be able to take a shower without having a camera watch you. Tempering with the cameras or trying to hide things from them is a federal offense. The black box is heading in a similar direction as my scenario imo.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member

Exactly.... im surprised it took the second page for someone to ask this.
How do we know for sure that our cars dont already have these black boxes?

"Black Boxes" were discussed extensively way back in late 2004. The discussion went on for weeks.
And I posted several lists that broke down the cars that had such devices by year, model, and capabilities.
The 2003 & 2004 Cobra Mustangs did not have any such devices or capability.
And since I know that I have never added any such device myself, and I have never had my car serviced at a Ford garage (where the Government could have snuck one in) I am pretty sure that I (and many others) are still safe.
However, you are free to research this for yourself, since newer cars probably have more nanny boxes than older cars.

Users who are viewing this thread