MA inspection issues

BrianP

Established Member
Trying to see if anyone else has had any issues getting a passing sticker. Over the winter I went through the car completely and fixed or replaced anything that needed it wich would have been causing my check engine light to stay on like it had. Well the cars been registered since Thursday night, and since then I've driven over 300 miles which made all my monitors ready (did a pretest).

Last night when I went for inspection the car failed. Everything on the inspection report showed a pass but at the end it still spit out a rejection. My question is: could this be just because I had my tuner in? I hadn't touched any of the parameters other than adjusting for my gears so my speedometer would read correctly.

I pulled the tuner out completely and I plan to run the car around for a week or so and go back again and see what happens. I'm just trying to get other people's input maybe someone else has had the same thing happen or knows someone who has

_mach_

Proud 2012 GT500 0wner
Established Member
This is not good news at all. I've got a pulley, cold air intake and off road X pipe and a tune, does this mean I'll fail as well? My inspection is due this month too

yuke175

Established Member
Similar thing happened to me last summer, passed inspection but was flagged and had to bring it to the mac center.

turns out even with my o/r x pipe and mil eliminator the cataylist monitors were still showing not supported. I guess my old tune had then tuned out. I had to download a new diablo software update offline and then upload that canned tune to my car and it fixed the issue.

Passed fine after that.

_mach_

Proud 2012 GT500 0wner
Established Member
sounds like the state inspectors are getting smarter and looking for a value on the rear o2's. i would like to think that someone out there can fix that with a custom tune...

howie8124

Established Member
sounds like the state inspectors are getting smarter and looking for a value on the rear o2's. i would like to think that someone out there can fix that with a custom tune...

I'm hoping Pete in NH will be able to find his was around that with his tunes.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
this is a common issue. State of MA is wised up to cars altering thier ECM's with tunes.

Places like Performance dyno and Granite State dyno are aware and can tune your car to pass the 2013 standards.

I'd recommend to anyone to get re-tuned to avoid the issue

Mystic1199

Established Member
Pete in NH tunes so it passes inspection ...its not that hard lol

BrianP , whered you get that 03 cobra front bumper want to sell it lol

Dead Mach 1

Established Member
Bad news for you... you have to pull the tune out and you have to go to a mac center to have them look at the car. Same thing happened to me last year with my mach. I had to pull the tune out and then take out my o/r x pipe and put the stock h pipe in cause they put the car on a lift and make sure everything is were it is supposed to be

Mystic1199

Established Member
Bad news for you... you have to pull the tune out and you have to go to a mac center to have them look at the car. Same thing happened to me last year with my mach. I had to pull the tune out and then take out my o/r x pipe and put the stock h pipe in cause they put the car on a lift and make sure everything is were it is supposed to be

you dont have to pull the tune out you just have to have everything turned on in the tune ...and not sure which mac center you went to but the one i have gone to and about 10 others i know of the guy plugs car in sees everything is good to go and sends ya on your way ...no putting your car in air or anything like that

Warrior627

Established Member
For what its worth, I'm going to Chris MPE in Taunton MA next Saturday to hopefully avoid this problem with being red flagged. Once I go thru the drive cycle and go for my sticker I'll report back here on SVTP and our FB page with how well it went for me. This may be a good option/location for any southern MA guys. GL OP

yuke175

Established Member
Chris told me he could do it and I've had him do plenty of work but I could do it for free with my diablo vs the few hundred he wanted

He's good though

Warrior627

Established Member
Thanks Yuke for the very kind offer, this may be a good option for the seasoned Cobra owners. This is my first Cobra and I've got about 250 miles of driving experience with it. I want to get on the dyno at MPE for peace of mind (tune wise), pass inspection, and to get RWHP and RWTQ #'s of my own. Pervious owner did not have dyno sheet and claimed 449, 497 on a "safe" tune, just want to verify all is well and have a base line.

Mystic1199

Established Member
Thanks Yuke for the very kind offer, this may be a good option for the seasoned Cobra owners. This is my first Cobra and I've got about 250 miles of driving experience with it. I want to get on the dyno at MPE for peace of mind (tune wise), pass inspection, and to get RWHP and RWTQ #'s of my own. Pervious owner did not have dyno sheet and claimed 449, 497 on a "safe" tune, just want to verify all is well and have a base line.

id take the ride north to do all that you just said in your post ...These cobras id take it to Pete old 302 mustangs id go to MPE .

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
I pass every year no problem. Biggest issue I have ever had is my battery died over the winter and I had to wait for my monitors to start reading. That can take quite a while. The 50-75 mile drive isn't a sure thing. I've put over 100 on my car since the battery was replaced and 2 monitors still won't show ready. Having a tune should't matter. You just can't turn off o2 sensors, EGR, etc in the tune like we used to be able to do. That will make you fail. All monitors must be active.

A.T

Established Member
Brian ended up getting flagged from 2 years ago. Too bad the state goes back more than a year to check if monitors were turned off.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
I pass every year no problem. Biggest issue I have ever had is my battery died over the winter and I had to wait for my monitors to start reading. That can take quite a while. The 50-75 mile drive isn't a sure thing. I've put over 100 on my car since the battery was replaced and 2 monitors still won't show ready. Having a tune should't matter. You just can't turn off o2 sensors, EGR, etc in the tune like we used to be able to do. That will make you fail. All monitors must be active.

this is why I have my inspection sticker due up at the END of the season.......

Users who are viewing this thread