MA inspection issues

Dead Mach 1

Established Member
Can anyone confirm if all 8 of these should be on? or if it should be these.

Catalyst monitor -ready
Catalyst heater - not supported
Evap system - ready
Secondary air - not supported
Ac system - not supported
O2 sensor monitor- ready
O2 sensor heater- ready
Egr monitor -ready

thanks

Pm sent

coposrv

Established Member
yes... if the car doesnt need to have an emission done then it doesnt matter, hell the check engine light could be on and it wouldnt matter

Interesting. So a vehicle 15 years or older only has to pass safety? Even If its an OBD 2 car?

Novi 1k

Established Member
Just got back from the Mac

Guy was cool mentioned I was flagged from prior years as my monitors were off

He plugged the car in and was monitoring I believe the cats had me rev it to 2k and hold it there

He thinks my hi flo cats are not working at peak effiency but good enough til it throws a cel

Whatever the new guy did to fix tune it is all set and sent me on my way.

Not a bad experience at all , looked under hood to see that egr stuff was all there and asked about my tial bov didn't even raise the car.

And just got reinspected so I am good to go

Novi 1k

Established Member
Hey Mystic,

I went to the one south of your suggestion, my inspector really really suggested it as there is a one dbag at the other one now vs just a single cool guy with a musclecar who was helping me out and explaining what you can do and not do.

this is what you need to have

Catalyst monitor -ready
Catalyst heater - not supported (explained mustangs don't have this monitor usually in a benz)
Evap system - ready
Secondary air - not supported (we don't have this either)
Ac system - not supported (our car's don't have this either)
O2 sensor monitor- ready
O2 sensor heater- ready
Egr monitor -ready

there are three other monitors but they turn on instantously. Apparently if you car shows/ed unsupported since 2009 for the monitors that should be on you are in the system and will get flagged. They track it in the database and he showed me.

Mellis

Established Member
Still waiting on one more of my status's to become ready. 04 is only allowed 1 unready correct? Car battery died over winter and was dead for a few months... just gotta keep driving until the evap or cats becomes ready. Who knows how long that'll take :cuss:

A.T

Established Member
Still waiting on one more of my status's to become ready. 04 is only allowed 1 unready correct? Car battery died over winter and was dead for a few months... just gotta keep driving until the evap or cats becomes ready. Who knows how long that'll take :cuss:

Correct, you can have only one not ready.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member

Good luck with that one. I'm in the same boat. I've put over 75miles and less than 100 since the dead battery in my car and they still won't turn on. I"ve had it on the highway at 60-65mph steadily and still nothing. I finally got a battery tender so I don't have to go through this anymore.

BrianP

Established Member
sorry ive fallen off the face of the planet after starting this thread!! haha i got everything in order now. plenty of trips between hyannis and duxbury and further, no codes, all ready. now i just need to find some free time to get to the MAC center and keeping my fingers crossed, itll pass.

Cobra10th Anniv

Established Member
Unfortunately, Pete's modified tune did not work for me or KenCobra. So I am putting back in the stock tune and will let you know how it goes. For those of you asking about how far you have to drive to reset your monitors, I drove over 500 miles with the Modified Tune, no luck.

Good luck to all.

_mach_

Proud 2012 GT500 0wner
Established Member
hopefully mine will go thru, I'll be testing Pete's tune this week and will let you all know.

A.T

Established Member
I talked to the guy at MAC today. He said now, if you show not supported and they weren't turned back on for the next sticker then you have to go to the dealer and get it reflashed and show a receipt proving you had it done before they OK it. If they are on and previous years were off then there is no problem as long as everything is there that is supposed to be there.

Warrior627

Established Member
I'm hoping Pete in NH will be able to find his was around that with his tunes.

For what its worth, I'm going to Chris MPE in Taunton MA next Saturday to hopefully avoid this problem with being red flagged. Once I go thru the drive cycle and go for my sticker I'll report back here on SVTP and our FB page with how well it went for me. This may be a good option/location for any southern MA guys. GL OP

Pete in NH tunes so it passes inspection ...its not that hard lol

id take the ride north to do all that you just said in your post ...These cobras id take it to Pete old 302 mustangs id go to MPE .

Here's my story :pop: Went to MPE on 4/13/13 before any tune I wanted a base line of the Diablo chip tune from Amazon the previous owner had in the Cobra = 443/455

After MPE tune = 441/492 had high idle lag at stop signs that lasted about 20 seconds or so of 1100/1200 rpm then would settle down to 700/800 and CEL light on for O2. Total time on dyno 5.5 hrs (11 dyno pulls)

Just got back from Pete's (4/23/13) in NH and made 474/528 with no changes from when I went to MPE or from purchasing my 03 Cobra on 1/12/13. No high idle lag, no CEL, all sensors ready. I'm ready to go get my Mass Inspection right NOW. Total time on dyno 1.0 hr (2 dyno pulls)

I'm not posting this to point fingers or bash anyone, I spent money that I didn't have to, wasted time I don't have, and stressed way too much. I don't blame anyone but myself for not listening to some of the veterans here on SVTP and MassDSGsvt for all for his time/help. My recommendation to anyone having a modded 03/04 Cobra needing to get a Mass Inspection and make some great HP/TQ safely is take the trip to Pete. I can't say it any simpler. Pete is a Cobra tuning God, super nice guy and when you're on the dyno its just you and him, no phone calls no distractions. :beer:

BTW both dyno's were Dyno Jets ~ All numbers are SAE corrected

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread