Ls2 vette vs 03 cobra

Jayls5

Established Member
It's a shame none of you guys are in Virginia. I'd like to see what my bone stock LS3 Z51 can do against a stock/modded Cobra, just for the fun of it.

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
It's a shame none of you guys are in Virginia. I'd like to see what my bone stock LS3 Z51 can do against a stock/modded Cobra, just for the fun of it.

You rang???? Where in VA are you? You have the Mid Atlantic Cobra Association full of folks in the area, so I'm sure some Cobras are by you. However, let me know what part of VA you're in and I'll see what I can do for ya!:burnout: Matter of fact there's a Vette vs Mustang show at Sheehy Ford this Sunday from 10am - 4pm. I'll be there, so let me know if you're coming and I'll set aside some time for you:beer:

Red Venum

Established Member
When I had an intake/cat-back LS2 car (which didnt really add much power), I was a good race for my friends 2.76 pullied cobra. I think this race wouldve been about even if it had been a coupe without a passenger. But good kill none the less.

You will need more than a pulley to beat a stock LS3 car.

I'll go against that I beat an ls3 vette when I had my cobra he had a fast intake,cai,long tubes and x pipe and I had 2.76,4lb,cai,and x pipe and exhaust. I had him by a nose

Last edited:

ramstein

Established Member
You rang???? Where in VA are you? You have the Mid Atlantic Cobra Association full of folks in the area, so I'm sure some Cobras are by you. However, let me know what part of VA you're in and I'll see what I can do for ya!:burnout: Matter of fact there's a Vette vs Mustang show at Sheehy Ford this Sunday from 10am - 4pm. I'll be there, so let me know if you're coming and I'll set aside some time for you:beer:

Don't forget you camera!!!!

geeteego

What???
Established Member
I so love this debate. It's like herpes for internet forums. It never goes away and is always good for a flare up now and again.

I pick the wrong fights. I raced 2 Cobras and got waxed poetically both times. One was Silverboost's 600rwhp '03 Whipple'd Vert, and the other was Senkak's 640rwhp SRA TVS powered 'Vert. I still had fun.

Last edited:

Ukfox89

Established Member
biggest problem is most people have no idea between a normal vette and a Zo6 and the same with GT mustangs and Cobras. just went to a car show this weekend and had my car in it, cant tell you how many times people asked if the blower was after market, what that was on top of the engine, or is that a gt? FML

phatman

Established Member
just to touch on the C5z being faster than the LS3, I have to say it is a driver's race. my Z ran 11.9 @116 with drs. My best trap was 116. My auto LS3 npp ran 12.0 @117!! With headers and tune, I run 11.8s all day @120 at Atco!! This is on runflats!! If I put Drs on, i know for a fact my LS3 would run 11.6s. As for pullied Cobras, I thimk it would be a driver's race depending on which LS3 Vet and driver you run across. My buddy's LS3 A6 went 11.7 @122 stock! Go to the Corvetteform and look on the fast list. There are some fast stock LS3s on there and there are a lot more who don't post on the 1/4 section. There is know doubt that the pullied Cobra is a fair opponent and depending on traction and weather, the Vett will have their hands full. This is an argument that will only get solved during a race. Goo coversation though. All we need are a few drinks while we discuss lol.

Jayls5

Established Member

I'm in the Hampton Roads area :shrug:

Never got my Z51 LS3 dynoed and it's unmodified down to the paper filter. I was curious how it performs in the scheme of things. I'm not a brand loyalist or anything, so hard feelings if I lose :beer:. I've always been a fan of the cobras.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
just to touch on the C5z being faster than the LS3, I have to say it is a driver's race. my Z ran 11.9 @116 with drs. My best trap was 116. My auto LS3 npp ran 12.0 @117!!

Conditions were equal on both? A lot of variables come into play that people just don't take into account. I won't even get into the bitch it is to launch an auto vs an ls6 (which likes high revs and quick releases). By that same account ls1 and lt1 cars are 1 second and 10mph apart in the 1/4 stock for stock. Personal experience can only paint so much of a picture and doesn't always do a good job of it.

ChrisMustang

Established Member
Wow this became quite the debate. All I know is my near stock Cobra put a quarter to a half car on a LS2 vette from 45mph-95mph.

ChrisMustang

Established Member
Who the hell does such a short run! thats pretty much only one gear lol

To the OP - Good runs... Sounds like they were fun runs! I always like close races

It was only a regular 4 lane road, so 45mph speed limit. I didn't want to risk over 100mph in town.

res0n0xg

Established Member
Well, I've owned both cars. A stock LS3 makes 380-390rwhp with similiar tq to the wheels, where as a standard pullied cobra makes 450rwhp/ 470rwtq.

From 60-140, the Cobra would pull a car off the hit with the Vette maybe being 1/2 car ahead at 140.

My full bolt on auto LS3 with 2.56 gears has pulled every basic PIE Cobra I've raced fairly well, I make over 420rwhp and the gearing is GREAT for roll racing (i'm in 2nd at 60mph).

In the 1/4 mile with traction, these cars would be super close, both capable of mid/low 11's in the low 120's, however I 100% guarantee after 120MPH, the vette pulls much stronger, not to mention, who goes past 140MPH in their Cobra anyway at WOT, which was ****ing annoying anyway, worrying about popping my motor in 5th.

NA_Cobra

Established Member
Wow this became quite the debate. All I know is my near stock Cobra put a quarter to a half car on a LS2 vette from 45mph-95mph.

45-95, WTF! The Vette didn't even have a chance to get in 4th gear. :shrug:

That must have been somekind of shakedown run or something! Definitely not something to brag about.

Last edited:

5.4ever

Crawling before Walking
Established Member
I was crusing along last night in the cobra(mods:cai, catback) and I see some low wide headlights coming from behind in the left lane. I'm doing 45mph and when he gets up next to me I drop it to 2nd to see if hes interested. I give a little burst and he didn't do anything. I slow back down to 45mph and he rolls up and I hear his car downshift. I wait to see what he is going to do. He takes the the hit but only gets a nose ahead before I am in it and I reel his nose to about back of my door before grabbing 3rd and then I shut down around 95mph and by that time his nose was about a 1/4 car behind me.

We came to a light afterward and I asked him what year it was he said 2005. They were suprised when I told them mine was an '03.

I haven't ever raced a vette before so I wasn't sure how it would do. His car was all stock. 2005 Convertible 6-speed. Driver I'm guessing weighed 200lbs and he had girl with him that was prob 130lbs. I only weigh 145lbs so his weight advantage wasn't huge. If it had been an Ls3 car outcome would prob been different.

It shouldve been a different outcome here... GK either way

LOL, will a pulley put a cobra into the 11s? because an ls3 will hit 11s stock

How so? A stock C5Z is a faster car than the LS3 stock for stock. A pullied Cobra was faster than a full exhaust C5Z. From a roll the LS3 will be the more dominant over an LS2 but I would still give the edge to the C5Z even at that. You were the better driver against your friend.

Wow, so much ****ing fail in this post

The ls6 will edge out the ls2, but the ls3 is known to be faster than an ls6....

all stock of course

5.4ever

Crawling before Walking
Established Member
Lol not too much of a debate. The 03-04 cobra is my favorite mustang, one of the best platforms out there. There are just a lot of misconceptions out there.

There are a lot of people who consider the C6Z the only respectable vette to own. Any time someone asks what kind of car I drive and say a corvette its always the same "OH IS IT A Z06??" I say nope, then they give the dissapointed "oh.."..

those are the best people to race :rolling:

Quoted for FM truth!!!!:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread