Ls2 vette vs 03 cobra

ChrisMustang

Established Member
I was crusing along last night in the cobra(mods:cai, catback) and I see some low wide headlights coming from behind in the left lane. I'm doing 45mph and when he gets up next to me I drop it to 2nd to see if hes interested. I give a little burst and he didn't do anything. I slow back down to 45mph and he rolls up and I hear his car downshift. I wait to see what he is going to do. He takes the the hit but only gets a nose ahead before I am in it and I reel his nose to about back of my door before grabbing 3rd and then I shut down around 95mph and by that time his nose was about a 1/4 car behind me.

We came to a light afterward and I asked him what year it was he said 2005. They were suprised when I told them mine was an '03.

I haven't ever raced a vette before so I wasn't sure how it would do. His car was all stock. 2005 Convertible 6-speed. Driver I'm guessing weighed 200lbs and he had girl with him that was prob 130lbs. I only weigh 145lbs so his weight advantage wasn't huge. If it had been an Ls3 car outcome would prob been different.

SVTullio

Typical Vette Driver
Established Member
When I had an intake/cat-back LS2 car (which didnt really add much power), I was a good race for my friends 2.76 pullied cobra. I think this race wouldve been about even if it had been a coupe without a passenger. But good kill none the less.

You will need more than a pulley to beat a stock LS3 car.

ramstein

Established Member
When I had an intake/cat-back LS2 car (which didnt really add much power), I was a good race for my friends 2.76 pullied cobra. I think this race wouldve been about even if it had been a coupe without a passenger. But good kill none the less.

Wrong

BlueSnake01

Established Member

How so? A stock C5Z is a faster car than the LS3 stock for stock. A pullied Cobra was faster than a full exhaust C5Z. From a roll the LS3 will be the more dominant over an LS2 but I would still give the edge to the C5Z even at that. You were the better driver against your friend.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Corvettes always get faster the longer they are out... I remember when an LS2 car was a mid 12 runner.. now (per forums) they run 11s stock. weeeeee

SVTullio

Typical Vette Driver
Established Member

not from my experience

How so? A stock C5Z is a faster car than the LS3 stock for stock. A pullied Cobra was faster than a full exhaust C5Z. From a roll the LS3 will be the more dominant over an LS2 but I would still give the edge to the C5Z even at that. You were the better driver against your friend.

I know a pullied cobra is faster than a stock C5Z, dont know about full exhaust/tune. Heres a good video for comparison.
http://www.youtube.com/user/FAsnakes#p/u/10/0xHdYjr9EhM

looks like whichever car the cameraman was in lost. Pretty much means they are even.

And i know from personal experience that my stock LS3 car was faster than a few pullied cobras. I am talking from a roll here too. Ive seen a few videos of stock ls3 vettes edging out stock C5Zs...

A pullied cobra is a great race for a full exhaust LS2 vette. ask me how I know... http://www.youtube.com/user/FAsnakes#p/u/18/gR_tROawUVk

add full exhaust to an LS3 car and you will NEED a twin screw.

[ame="http://www.vimeo.com/3525911"]03 Whipple Cobra vs 08 LS3 Corvette w/ Full Exhaust on Vimeo[/ame]

Last edited:

SVTullio

Typical Vette Driver
Established Member
Good kill. This has sparked up the forever debate about cobras and vettes. lol

Lol not too much of a debate. The 03-04 cobra is my favorite mustang, one of the best platforms out there. There are just a lot of misconceptions out there.

There are a lot of people who consider the C6Z the only respectable vette to own. Any time someone asks what kind of car I drive and say a corvette its always the same "OH IS IT A Z06??" I say nope, then they give the dissapointed "oh.."..

those are the best people to race :rolling:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Lol not too much of a debate. The 03-04 cobra is my favorite mustang, one of the best platforms out there. There are just a lot of misconceptions out there.

There are a lot of people who consider the C6Z the only respectable vette to own. Any time someone asks what kind of car I drive and say a corvette its always the same "OH IS IT A Z06??" I say nope, then they give the dissapointed "oh.."..

I do the same thing..has nothing to do with the 1/4 mile difference and more to do with 'I just saw 1000 C6s on the way here'. The fact that you don't see a bazillion Z06/ZR1 cars is what sets them apart imho.

Thats forgetting the 1mph difference in the 1/4 and 10mph difference in traps.

Last edited:

d3m01iti0n

Slow Vehicle Team
Established Member
Only Vette I ever encountered was a C6 Z06 and he literally rolled up behind me at night, gave me a flyby and went straight for the exit.

There is an old boy yellow C5 (base I think) up the road from me who has seen my car drive by and told the cashier at the local gas station he wants to run sometime. Car is pretty much stock apparently. Going to have to crush it one day =)

ramstein

Established Member

No debate agree
I like LS3 vettes(except GS) and would rather have Z51/NPP LS3 than even a c5Z06.
As far as pullied cobras concerned, some make 440, while others make 480+, depending on a pulley size, tune, exhaust. I can see how some pullied cobras can loose to LS3 and others can leave it behind, but to say that generally a stock LS3 vette is faster than a pullied Cobra is wrong IMO.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
No debate agree
I like LS3 vettes(except GS) and would rather have Z51/NPP LS3 than even a c5Z06.
As far as pullied cobras concerned, some make 440, while others make 480+, depending on a pulley size, tune, exhaust. I can see how some pullied cobras can loose to LS3 and others can leave it behind, but to say that generally a stock LS3 vette is faster than a pullied Cobra is wrong IMO.
+1

Pullied Cobras have run low 11's trapping over 120 to mid maybe high 12's trapping 115. LS3's are low 12's mostly trapping mid 115 and I think fastest is high 11's at 118-ish? I have yet to see them beat the C5Z fastest times stock but they do seem to trap a bit lower. Vids only tell part of the story, there are plenty of slips with traps and speeds that say otherwise.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTJG0uoXJ18&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Corvette Ls3 vs Whipple Mustang Cobra vs Ported Blower Cobra - YouTube[/nomedia]

Last edited:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Cool video. I wonder if the weight difference from the coupe vs vert cobra is what gave the vette the win on motor. Then again...we dont know what mods the gray cobra had.

All bad ass cars tho. I want nitrous.:pepper:
I'm pretty sure it was running hot, there have been Whipple Cobras that lost to Ported Cobra's, have heard that Whipple's heat up quick. Which is the reason why some tuned LS3's give it a run or keep up. The ported Cobra I believe had around 500whp from I read before, the vette was full exhaust and tuned. You don't need a twin screw to go against a tuned LS3, just the right mods with the eaton and driver :rolling: Don't worry, I want mine ported and laughing gas :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread