Ls1 in cobra

XJRGUY

BIG MONSTERS!
Established Member
Just put in forged pistons and stroke the motor out with a 5.1 stroker kit, higher compression rebuild the bottom end forge the motor, do 03 cobra heads or fr500 / ported heads, do new cams, full bolt ons and u can make like 400-500hp n/a !!:rockon:

For that kind of money the guy could buy a used LS1 with an entire F-body around it though. :banana:

......and have a Cobra as well! :beer:

SeankySnake

Established Member
Did he misspell his name?
:lol:

or is it really "SeanKySnake" :shrug:

I think that you are the only one who has ever caught that. "I" did not mis-spell it my little 11 yr old nephew did an few years ago. He wanted to help me find a login id and "sneakysnake" was already taken, so he entered "seankysnake" and it was too late. But oh well, it's different!:shrug:

XJRGUY

BIG MONSTERS!
Established Member
I think that you are the only one who has ever caught that. "I" did not mis-spell it my little 11 yr old nephew did an few years ago. He wanted to help me find a login id and "sneakysnake" was already taken, so he entered "seankysnake" and it was too late. But oh well, it's different!:shrug:

That's friggin hilarious and a good story to go behind the name.

I had another theory that involved KY jelly, but lets not go there, ok?

LOL!!!
:beer:

Venom1320

Banned by Bacon
Established Member
cobra motor and a kenne bell FTMFW:banana:

Ls1 in a cobra:bash:

+1, and this is coming from the owner of an LSX car! I don't know why but it's just WRONG. Terminator motors and LS1 motors are probably the 2 greatest factory built motors in history but to mix and match between companies/cars seems stupid as hell. :nono:

Being that either would respond insanely well to mods, to put one of these motors in the opposite car would be TOTAL WASTE! Not to mention a wiring nightmare. You'd need to custom make all mounting and bracketry...just seems like a big headache when you could just drop in a Terminator motor and call it a day with minimal effort.

Bottom line: by the time you're done swapping an LS1 into it you could have paid for the Terminator motor and mods to make it a monster.:rockon:

02SVTV6

Established Member
HCI LS1 with a Mag. Blower or a Procharger Owns period. unless you wanna do a 5.4 4V TT or Single T setup then may beg to differ

cobrasvtcoupe25

Established Member
I just read this post and thought you might want to too! :beer:

Just run what you have right now. It will make some good power, run 11s with ease, and kill 98% of anything on the roads.

Slap some 4.30s or 4.56s and call it the day....that will allow you to save up what ever you need for a D1SC or which ever you decide.

Naz

XJRGUY

BIG MONSTERS!
Established Member
HCI LS1 with a Mag. Blower or a Procharger Owns period. unless you wanna do a 5.4 4V TT or Single T setup then may beg to differ

So what you are really saying is that if he spends his money on LS1 with the heads, the cam, some intake and that centri' stuff he's gonna need some of these since it will own period?
:lol:

10012611.JPG

Just messing with you man.

DREX01AZ

Established Member
The 99 and 01 cobras have plenty of potential. The block is cast aluminum alloy, carrying a fully counterweighted, forged-steel crankshaft. Aluminum upper main, upper thrust and rod bearings add to the engine's durability. Six high-tensile steel bolts secure each main bearing cap, in an arrangement that spreads loads over a large area of the block. The aluminum alloy pistons have shallow skirts and a special friction-reducing coating on their sliding surfaces, which improves both durability and the engine's free-revving characteristics. The pistons give the engine a compression ratio of 9.85:1. I don't know whos telling you this, but build the bottom end if you want, put a novi 2000, procherger or vortech on there and you have a serious Cobra.

luiSVT99

CoyoteFTW
Established Member
are you serious, you want to put an LS1 engine in a heavier car?? lol yeah those engines are nice performers but do it to a fox coupe or a 6er new edge, not a Cobra, you think 32v have no potential?

[ame="http://videos.streetfire.net/video/2001-Cobra-Kooks-LT-with_104864.htm"]2001 Cobra Kooks LT with Bassani catback- Video[/ame]

12.28@112 mph to me thats potential

just your regular bolt on Cobra wiht GEARS!! now that was on 4.30s, i'm waiting on his timeslip with 4.56, high 11s??? now that's a H/C LS1 territory, talk about potential...

4V DOHC FTMFW!!!! :rockon:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
Who keeps telling you this?

Perhaps the people misinforming you are jealous of your exotic domestic engine, that was hand built with pride by two specialized Ford workers.

Ls1, while nice is a "cookie cutter" factory assembled engine built by robots.

32v Cobra engine hand assembled with sweat, skill, pride and American labor.

lol, lay off the smoke guy.

Id prefer a robot to build my engine. What if Mr. whizbang ford niche line engine builder has a cold, or had a few too many the night before. You end up with an engine that is missing some oil rings, has loose main cap side bolts, and has only one intake gasket.

The ls1 shits all over the 4.6 dohc. Its smaller, lighter, less complex, and more powerful.

OP, I think its a great idea. you keep your engine if you want resale value (please, these cars aren't worth dick anyway).

This is what I would do. You can get LQ9 6.0 truck motors for dirt cheap (like $1,000). Throw on some ported heads, a cam, and a 150 shot.

The swap shouldn't kill you, in fact, it should be fairly easy to do.

You are in for $3k, and you have a 450rwhp N/A motor, with 600rwhp on the spray.

LS1>Cobra motor.

P.S. guys, the ls1 doesn't exactly hate boost either. With 6 psi, it makes more rwhp than a dohc 4.6 with 8 to 10 psi.

get fords nuts out of your eyes.

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
Put a 5.4 32V into it.
It's easier now than many might think.

IMG_1276.gif

th_MVI_1264.gif

th_MVI_1266.gif

New and final design intake prior to welding.

IMG_1427.gif

Last edited:

luiSVT99

CoyoteFTW
Established Member
lol, lay off the smoke guy.

Id prefer a robot to build my engine. What if Mr. whizbang ford niche line engine builder has a cold, or had a few too many the night before. You end up with an engine that is missing some oil rings, has loose main cap side bolts, and has only one intake gasket.

The ls1 shits all over the 4.6 dohc. Its smaller, lighter, less complex, and more powerful.

OP, I think its a great idea. you keep your engine if you want resale value (please, these cars aren't worth dick anyway).

This is what I would do. You can get LQ9 6.0 truck motors for dirt cheap (like $1,000). Throw on some ported heads, a cam, and a 150 shot.

The swap shouldn't kill you, in fact, it should be fairly easy to do.

You are in for $3k, and you have a 450rwhp N/A motor, with 600rwhp on the spray.

LS1>Cobra motor.

P.S. guys, the ls1 doesn't exactly hate boost either. With 6 psi, it makes more rwhp than a dohc 4.6 with 8 to 10 psi.

get fords nuts out of your eyes.

smaller? 346 vs 281 i don't know about lighter, and where's the complicity of the DOHC engine?? more powerful, they are rated the same, an LS1 has more power and room to grow? i think they're in the same territory
3k? on parts maybe, what about labor? you talking about custom fit headers.....
lets see
1000 block
500 head port job
400+ cam
200+ springs (you need a big cam to wake up a dished LQ9)
1000 painless wiring
100 computer
350+ reflash/tune
700 headers
600 auto tranny/ 1,200+ T56 a with a stock 4L60 say goodbye to 3rd in a month
pedals? (auto)
custom driveshaft
do you think the 99 IRS would hold 400+ tq
can you use your current kmember?

i think 3k was really generous

i would rather spend that on bolt ons and a 150 shot of naaaaawz and call it a day high 10s with 65 cubic inches less

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread