Lost another member of the greatest generation.

MG01GT

Established Member
My grandfather passed earlier this morning . He was not my grandfather by blood, but he had always been grandpa to me. He was a WW2 vet having been a navigator on a B-29 called the Caboose cause they were always tail end Charlie. He's been shot down, has a Purple Heart and you would be hard pressed to find a humbler man. He was an accountant and very successful one at that in Las Vegas for 40 some odd years. He was the mainstay of our family and was loved and will be missed dearly.

If you all have family members from this generation still, hug them and love them because there is not many left. I was blessed to have had this man in my life to help guide and encourage me, to share war stories with and have our sense of duty to bond over. On a happy note, he lived a good life, he went out on his terms and had his mind still.

Never above, never below but always at your side. Until Valhalla!!!

Sound Taps!
0d58692edbc57e7b01ccd2b77bdb890e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds like you were lucky to have that kind of person in your life, sorry for your loss

04MysticCobra

Established Member
Sorry for your loss and thankful for your grandfathers service. I know all about that greatest generation too. My dad is a WW2 Navy vet and still hanging in their at 93. My wife's dad is an Army vet but younger and my wife was born at Fort Bragg NC. She is an Army brat...lol.

2013GT'ed

Established Member
Im very sorry to hear he died, but it seems like he lived a good life and died loved. Can't ask for much more then that. Its been 5 years since great grampa died. He was in a tank until berlin, happieat man i ever met.

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
My grandfather passed earlier this morning . He was not my grandfather by blood, but he had always been grandpa to me. He was a WW2 vet having been a navigator on a B-29 called the Caboose cause they were always tail end Charlie. He's been shot down, has a Purple Heart and you would be hard pressed to find a humbler man. He was an accountant and very successful one at that in Las Vegas for 40 some odd years. He was the mainstay of our family and was loved and will be missed dearly.

If you all have family members from this generation still, hug them and love them because there is not many left. I was blessed to have had this man in my life to help guide and encourage me, to share war stories with and have our sense of duty to bond over. On a happy note, he lived a good life, he went out on his terms and had his mind still.

Never above, never below but always at your side. Until Valhalla!!!

Sound Taps!View attachment 1482859

I'm truly sorry for your loss. Can you share his name?

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
I am very sorry for your loss. You are so right to always remember to love our family and friends while they are here. Losing those who have had the biggest effects on us are the most difficult times. Carrying on in a way that would make them proud, while keeping them in our hearts, is the best we can do. As long as we keep them in our hearts they will always be with us.

God bless.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
He is surely being honored now, and leaves a legacy to be proud of. When he left, I am sure he left with a smile in his heart. What he deposited into his family will go forward through those he loved and touched. Sometimes you hear someone say, "I was blessed to know him/her", and I'd say many have said this about your grandfather. So sorry for your loss and for your family. Go forward carrying wonderful memories and a measure of his love.

MG01GT

Established Member
I'm truly sorry for your loss. Can you share his name?
His name was Dale Gage.

And thank you all for the kind words. It's good to see that there are people out there that appreciate this generation, and these types of people still.

My family is still kinda in shock right now as this happened so quick. But as much as it stings right now, I cant begin to even explain how honored I was to known such a good man. He never talked much about his time during the war, but with me it was never an issue. He's helped pushed me through my own military career. Only sad part here is I was hoping to have him see me retire here in a year and a half. He will be there in spirit though.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Sorry for your loss, sounds like he lived a full life and was likely in his 90s. My gramps served on a B24 and was shot down too. WW2 was his favorite topic to talk about

VegasMichael

Established Member
I was lucky enough to have my grandparents well into my 30s and 40s. I understand your loss since I was very close to them. Thanks for sharing. Grandparents are the best.

MG01GT

Established Member
Sorry for your loss, sounds like he lived a full life and was likely in his 90s. My gramps served on a B24 and was shot down too. WW2 was his favorite topic to talk about
Man I remember showing him pictures of Iwo Jima when I went there and he said I remember bombing and landing there... it wasnt that green lol!!! I bet your grandpa was a hell of man... those guys on B24's never got the love that the B17 and B29s got!

Users who are viewing this thread