Lost another member of the greatest generation.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Man I remember showing him pictures of Iwo Jima when I went there and he said I remember bombing and landing there... it wasnt that green lol!!! I bet your grandpa was a hell of man... those guys on B24's never got the love that the B17 and B29s got!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

He sure was. During a bombing raid on a fuel plant over Politz Germany they took AA fire and decided to fly their wounded B24 across the Baltic sea to Sweden where they crash landed. The crew spent 5 months interned in Sweden. It was pretty cushy there though as they got to leave the internment camp once the chores were done! Men of that era definitely earned the moniker of belonging to the greatest generation. I'm glad you got to know your gramps and hear his stories as I know I greatly enjoyed hearing stories from my gramps.

Mistah Chick B24 after crash landing.

42-100146 MISTAH CHICK(2).jpg

Kneeling on the left as part of an earlier B24 crew.
hinchmancrewlarge[1].jpg

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm sorry for your loss, hopefully he shared stories that you'll be able to pass on. I've met many WWII aviators being around the CAF since I was knee high, I even knew a few WASP ladies that delivered the bombers for Boeing. They are a truly special group of people.
I'm lucky enough to hear Doc's Wright Cyclones, and look up and see him shining as he flys by about once a week here in Wichita. LOVE B-29s, they are part of this city.
The plants built to produce the B-29 went on to build the B-47 and B-52s and to this day are still building most of the 737 and good portions of 787 777 and 767
They had an honor flight to DC loaded with Vets and when they returned last week Doc was taxing up to their 737 on the tarmac, not one dry eye.
upload_2018-4-24_13-37-18.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-24_13-38-8.png
    upload_2018-4-24_13-38-8.png
    249.9 KB · Views: 27

MG01GT

Established Member
He sure was. During a bombing raid on a fuel plant over Politz Germany they took AA fire and decided to fly their wounded B24 across the Baltic sea to Sweden where they crash landed. The crew spent 5 months interned in Sweden. It was pretty cushy there though as they got to leave the internment camp once the chores were done! Men of that era definitely earned the moniker of belonging to the greatest generation. I'm glad you got to know your gramps and hear his stories as I know I greatly enjoyed hearing stories from my gramps.

Mistah Chick B24 after crash landing.

View attachment 1483015

Kneeling on the left as part of an earlier B24 crew.
View attachment 1483016
Dude that's so badass! People greatly underestimate the absolute intensity of going on those types of missions, especially into Germany when they were on their heels. The planes themselves had to be so powerful just to carry the size and weight of the crews balls... I always enjoyed talking to my grandpa about his time over there. He has a picture of him being plucked out the the ocean by a navy destroyer.... after it sunk a Japanese vessel that was on it's way to capture him and his crew.

MG01GT

Established Member
I'm sorry for your loss, hopefully he shared stories that you'll be able to pass on. I've met many WWII aviators being around the CAF since I was knee high, I even knew a few WASP ladies that delivered the bombers for Boeing. They are a truly special group of people.
I'm lucky enough to hear Doc's Wright Cyclones, and look up and see him shining as he flys by about once a week here in Wichita. LOVE B-29s, they are part of this city.
The plants built to produce the B-29 went on to build the B-47 and B-52s and to this day are still building most of the 737 and good portions of 787 777 and 767
They had an honor flight to DC loaded with Vets and when they returned last week Doc was taxing up to their 737 on the tarmac, not one dry eye.
View attachment 1483017
Doc is a gorgeous plane!! I haven't seen it in person but my goal is to see if I can get a flight in her one day. I'm stationed in 29 palms CA and we are a stones throw from March ARB and they have a B29 in their museum and I'd like to see if they would let me in it.

MG01GT

Established Member
Again thank you all for the kind words, it really does mean alot yo see how many people out there have a healthy respect for these men and women. If you all have or have had a family member from this generation feel free to share their story on this thread. I think it's awesome that we all can get their stories out there and recognize a very special group of people that are going to no more before too long.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
All the WW2 vets I knew were very successful. I always had the sense that they served and survived, then had the confidence to do anything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MG01GT

Established Member
Here's a little something my girlfriend put together for me, for my grandfather shortly before he passed. She did the drawing and all.... the pome is as follows.

High Flight

John Gillespie Magee, Jr

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, --and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of --Wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air...
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark or even eagle flew --
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

ff39b7d1321c154d89602d7d2b8ebaeb.jpg

ssssnake

Established Member
My deepest sympathies for your loss. Mr. Gage sounded like someone that was good to be around, and a good man. That generation is disappearing very quickly, and we'll be left with the boomers (my generation). My father is 98. He was in WW stateside, but he still served. I'm going to see him next week - my family told me I need to go ASAP. My prayers are with you as you grieve.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
If the greatest generation was so great, then why did their kids grow up to destroy this country?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

MG01GT

Established Member
If the greatest generation was so great, then why did their kids grow up to destroy this country?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Yup..... it only takes one to duche it up and try and trash a thread. Anyways you're entitled to your opinion and all, but take your bullshit somewhere else. This isnt about politics, society changes and blah blah blah. It's simply remembering a group of people the lived, saw and experienced more than many could imagine. As I said your entitled to your thoughts.... but there's a saying the goes like this, it's better to be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt. Your not offending me or others here really, but I will take the time to call you on what really is stupid and has no bearing on the discussion at hand.

Users who are viewing this thread