Looking for 'selling safe' tips for my daughter who is selling her Mercedes SL.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hi folks. Hey, my daughter is looking to sell her Mercedes SL Roadster which was a gift from her late husband. She's kind of on her own and I know a lot of you have offered up some really good tips to help ensure a safe auto sale transaction. She's already gotten two text responses that she believe is the same person using two different names. She got an immediate red flag, which is good. She's pretty smart. That's when I remembered SVTP and how many members we have who have offered up good, savvy advice to ensure a safe sale transaction. She told me that she wants to meet the buyer at her bank to ensure her safety, and if she communicates this to the seller she should spot a scammer if he tells her he has a "better" way to complete the sale. I told her NOT to give anyone her address because a local scammer/thief could try to break in and steal the car. Hell, we've had over a dozen stolen cars in my area over one 24 hour period and her town saw 3-5 stolen cars just last night. There are a lot of thieves out there looking for easy money with unemployment so high.

So, savvy SVTP seller and detectives, that said, please post any recommendations you have for selling, spotting scammers, best methods of payment, transfer of titles, etc. I want to pass them along to her along with my own recommendations. I know I could use the Search, but I'm wanting to get her some recommendations ASAP and I thought her circumstances might elicit some special tips from you.

Thanks SO much in advance for your advice and recommendations!

upload_2020-4-24_19-37-22.png

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Old lady sold her car through one of those companies that will give you an offer and come pick it up wherever you want. Think the first one she tried was Carvana, she tried a second one (WeBuyAnyCar) and ended up getting more $ from them.

Less stress and time than dealing with private sale or a stealership

Sent from my SM-N975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks. Advice for payments? Certified bank check the best?

I told my daughter it's always good to get the prospective customer's call-back phone number, and address. If needed, you can do a background check for a small fee. Pretty easy to spot the obvious scammers, since they usually are flighty and provide very little personal info that you could check/verify.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I like the idea of meeting at the bank because you can go right inside to make the deposit to ensure it’s a valid transaction and sign everything over as well as plenty of cameras in and out. I did that on the last car I sold and it was very smooth. Actually, the buyer came up short with money (intentionally) and since we were at the bank, he pulled an extra $300 from the ATM to complete the deal.

Blk91stang

Established Member
Premium Member
I sold my 67 Vette privately and we went to HIS bank where they transfered the money right in front of me either to a bank check or my own account. I opened my own account there for the time being.

This is the safest way I know of and the only one I recommend. Anything else can be faked.

Thanks. Advice for payments? Certified bank check the best?

I told my daughter it's always good to get the prospective customer's call-back phone number, and address. If needed, you can do a background check for a small fee. Pretty easy to spot the obvious scammers, since they usually are flighty and provide very little personal info that you could check/verify.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I think a new car dealer will give you better value than car max. Most new dealers will buy cars outright.

However it’s an awful time to sell a used car. I would definitely take anything close to reasonable.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
I agree with the others that support meeting at a bank; preferably the buyers bank for the reasons stated.

Additionally, she can have the bill of sale notarized. This can be useful if anything arises after the sale.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
If you want an easy sale without worrying about creeps or scammers, it’s worth getting a carmax quote. You won’t get top dollar, but at least it’s a headache free, no strings attached transaction.

Yup, start with carmax. I think they cut you a check that's valid for like 7 days. That gives you a starting point. I don't know if we're talking about a 6K or a 26K car, but still start at carmx.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
What year SL? If its a Pagoda, there is a pretty strong community, and it might easily find a home in that community, especially if she is considering accepting a lower market number (that a carmax / dealer) would offer.

In January we bought 2 cars out of state, and was a larger transaction. Today there really are only 2 secure transactions (with out a time delay risk), for both the buyer and seller. Cash, and an in person transfer. Wires work, also, but sometimes they happen quick, sometimes they take some time (in our case, could not risk the delay as the transporter was coming). Certified checks the receiving bank will take time to "clear". For our transaction, we both had BoA accounts. Went into the branch, did a transfer, within a few minutes, done. Very smooth.

One additional option not yet mentioned, that I would strongly consider, is consignment with a collector car dealer. This will completely isolate her from buyers.

EDIT, now thinking about this, why on earth didn't you post a picture. Lots of people here with diverse taste in vehicles...

Last edited:

C2tuck

Established Member
Meet in a public place or bank like was stated and have her take a friend. Most scammers won’t mess with someone who’s not alone... She’s gonna need a ride anyway if she sells it. Be sure and take the plates off as well once the deal is done, makes the buyer register it now VS waiting till the tags are expired...especially if you have tollways or parking meters around, saves a ton of phone calls and headaches.

In my experience Carmax and the like are a joke.

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
The local sheriff's office here encourages people to utilize their parking lot for such business.
Might give your local authorities a call and inquire.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I like the idea of meeting at the bank because you can go right inside to make the deposit to ensure it’s a valid transaction and sign everything over as well as plenty of cameras in and out. I did that on the last car I sold and it was very smooth. Actually, the buyer came up short with money (intentionally) and since we were at the bank, he pulled an extra $300 from the ATM to complete the deal.
I agree! Thanks for your input.

I think a new car dealer will give you better value than car max. Most new dealers will buy cars outright.

However it’s an awful time to sell a used car. I would definitely take anything close to reasonable.
Yeah, it is definitely not the best time to sell. She's does have an interested (valid) buyer from what she just told me, but not definite. She's ignoring any interested party who is suspect.

I agree with the others that support meeting at a bank; preferably the buyers bank for the reasons stated.

Additionally, she can have the bill of sale notarized. This can be useful if anything arises after the sale.
Yeah, meeting at the bank is the smartest thing. I do like the idea of using the buyer's bank, if possible.

I'm disappointed. No one asked for pictures of Bob's daughter. lol
She's gorgeous, Brad. Fitness instructor and fitness studio owner. She's competed in multiple Pro fitness competitions. But.....sorry, no pics! LOL.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What year SL? If its a Pagoda, there is a pretty strong community, and it might easily find a home in that community, especially if she is considering accepting a lower market number (that a carmax / dealer) would offer.

In January we bought 2 cars out of state, and was a larger transaction. Today there really are only 2 secure transactions (with out a time delay risk), for both the buyer and seller. Cash, and an in person transfer. Wires work, also, but sometimes they happen quick, sometimes they take some time (in our case, could not risk the delay as the transporter was coming). Certified checks the receiving bank will take time to "clear". For our transaction, we both had BoA accounts. Went into the branch, did a transfer, within a few minutes, done. Very smooth.

One additional option not yet mentioned, that I would strongly consider, is consignment with a collector car dealer. This will completely isolate her from buyers.

EDIT, now thinking about this, why on earth didn't you post a picture. Lots of people here with diverse taste in vehicles...
It's a 2007. White. And thanks for you great advice.

Meet in a public place or bank like was stated and have her take a friend. Most scammers won’t mess with someone who’s not alone... She’s gonna need a ride anyway if she sells it. Be sure and take the plates off as well once the deal is done, makes the buyer register it now VS waiting till the tags are expired...especially if you have tollways or parking meters around, saves a ton of phone calls and headaches.

In my experience Carmax and the like are a joke.
I just told her last night that I'd go with her to the bank. She definitely will not go alone. I also volunteered my two cousins, Smith and Wesson! ;)

The local sheriff's office here encourages people to utilize their parking lot for such business.
Might give your local authorities a call and inquire.
A lot of people are doing that now. Great meeting location to have car looked over.

_Snake_

Established Member
Bob - some great advice here and I’m sorry for the loss of your son-in-law. When my friend died, his wife asked me to help sell some of his things. Obviously she trusts me, but I was happy to be able to take that off her hands and manage the showings and haggling without her having to deal with scammers, thieves, and other scum.

A trusted friend could be another option.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
If you want an easy sale without worrying about creeps or scammers, it’s worth getting a carmax quote. You won’t get top dollar, but at least it’s a headache free, no strings attached transaction.

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread