Looking for a Good Exhaust Setup for the Cobra

Bigggy

Established Member
I've also been looking at a new exhaust setup...currently have MRT off road H with Magnaflow CB...want to also go MAC LT's, o/r pro chamber, and Borla Stingers.

I noticed while looking at the MAC o/r pro chamber that there are two versions...the aluminized and SS...any thoughts if SS is really worth the money for the quality if you dont DD your car? Does the metal type effect the sound?

Thx!

I'm pretty sure it wont affect the sound much. If you want that setup simply listen at my video, its the exact same setup.

ib_604

Established Member
Will do. Thanks!
Yea probably go going to throw my o/r MRT h-pipe and magna flows up for sale once I pull the trigger on the new setup!

ib_604

Established Member
MAC LTs
O/R Prochamber
Stingers

[video=youtube;zbdvAUEEz5Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbdvAUEEz5Q&list=UU-WYagU2iXJx6ASt6pYEfJQ[/video]

With stock manifold you should have less rasp then that.
That is one mean Cobra. Thanks for sharing.

Bigggy

Established Member
That is one mean Cobra. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks!

To anybody wanting that setup I would say:
-Pretty quiet at idle and low throttle
-Rasp at 2500RPM at 1/4 throttle (You really can control that by not applying too much throttle, you can hear in the video it rasp then tone down then come back).
-At WOT it just screams
-Drone is horrible but I got used to it

The thing that I like with this setup is that its so quiet at low throttle comparing with some O/R X car I've heard. A friend of my mine had an 06 GT with stock manifolds + O/R X + Stingers and it was so annoying at low throttle, would wake up pretty much everybody in his neighborhood.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Sorry for the late response to all of this. I got preoccupied with electronics and what not. Now I'm back into car mode.

Do you have a video of what your setup sounds like?

I did but have to see if I can find the vid for it.

MAC LTs
O/R Prochamber
Stingers

[video=youtube;zbdvAUEEz5Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbdvAUEEz5Q&list=UU-WYagU2iXJx6ASt6pYEfJQ[/video]

With stock manifold you should have less rasp then that.

Sounds great man. I'm not sure what I'm going to do really. I want to keep my MAC sound but without the crap quality. I may just give the stainless steel MAC off road h a try and go for some Borla Stingers. I really don't know.

I've had the alum version for 8 years+ and no issues.

I may give this version a try, or at least the SS. I want to leave MAC but can't seem to talk myself into do that.

Who are some good vendors to get these different exhaust setups through?

b_dike

Established Member
Sorry for the late response to all of this. I got preoccupied with electronics and what not. Now I'm back into car mode.

I did but have to see if I can find the vid for it.

Sounds great man. I'm not sure what I'm going to do really. I want to keep my MAC sound but without the crap quality. I may just give the stainless steel MAC off road h a try and go for some Borla Stingers. I really don't know.

I may give this version a try, or at least the SS. I want to leave MAC but can't seem to talk myself into do that.

Who are some good vendors to get these different exhaust setups through?

I bought my stinger cat back from summit back in 2013 for $674 iirc, free shipping... Too good of a deal to pass up. Before I found that sale I was looking at some cheaper options. I always like using American muscle, lmr, and summit racing for cobra parts.

Coxy

Established Member
I prefer a more mellow tone, without that rasp/tinny sound stingers seem to have. The lm1's and x on my car sounded like garbage because it made that 2500+ rpm rasp way worse. I welded in a pair of magnaflow mufflers, and deleted the cats. Im pretty happy with it, but I want to try an H or a pro chamber. Though with hearing about the poor quality from Mac, that worries me. This slp x hangs 2" lower then it needs to already.

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
OP if you like the sound of your setup, but not happy with fit/finish quality, what about fixing the issues it has? Pull the exhaust, fix fitment issues and get it coated so it looks nice. Even if you have to pay someone else to cut/weld and coat, its still cheaper than a new setup and will be custom fit for your car.

I made some improvements to my mac prochamber, as it was a turd out of the box. see link in sig if interested.

Stingers? had those, sound like crap with any boost at low rpm (aka rasp). Most all cobra exhaust systems sound good at WOT and high rpm (like on a dyno), but after a few weeks on the streets you realize what you really have.

Last edited:

cobraman302

Established Member
Last edited:

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I have a couple vids of my car. No driving vids yet, sorry. '04 Cobra, stock motor/blower, stock manifolds, Dr. Gas offroad X pipe, Borla Stinger catback. Love the sound. I hate exhausts that "kackle" like the SLP's and magnapacks, and this exhaust delivers on high quality sound, not much drone, and just insane badass sound over 4k rpms (credit that to the Dr. Gas x pipe).

http://youtu.be/izixkimkfCA?list=UUm8CkzwK1U6AMWQlxotDTcA

http://youtu.be/ztHJO-zC9eU?list=UUm8CkzwK1U6AMWQlxotDTcA

Sounds good

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
OP if you like the sound of your setup, but not happy with fit/finish quality, what about fixing the issues it has? Pull the exhaust, fix fitment issues and get it coated so it looks nice. Even if you have to pay someone else to cut/weld and coat, its still cheaper than a new setup and will be custom fit for your car.

I made some improvements to my mac prochamber, as it was a turd out of the box. see link in sig if interested.

Stingers? had those, sound like crap with any boost at low rpm (aka rasp). Most all cobra exhaust systems sound good at WOT and high rpm (like on a dyno), but after a few weeks on the streets you realize what you really have.

That is a good point that I've not thought about. I am certain I'm going to get a new H-pipe though because I'm not happy with its fit even though it's a MRT. My MAC catback might be salvageable but I will have to see. I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this point.

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
This is what I'll be replicating. ARH Headers (but I'm going 1 7/8" primaries) with 3" collector, 3" X pipe with race cats, and 3" Bassani catback with the mergers modified so the system never gets down to 2.5". Full 3" throughout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGzILW9A_-c

[video=youtube;GGzILW9A_-c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGzILW9A_-c[/video]

Last edited:
Having gone through so many exhaust set ups, I thought the perfect one was UPR O/R X with Borla Stingers.

(All my exhaust combos have been with the stock manifolds)

Before that I had the Bassani X O/R with Stingers

Before that I had the catted Bassani with Stingers

Before that I had the catted Bassani with Bassani 3"

And thanks to a long gone member on here who went by the username: MonX who has a YouTube video on the setup...

Finally settled on UPR X O/R with Mac 3" CB.

MAC is not quick at all with delivering their CBs (took 3 months for my delivery) but the sound is fantastic.

I understand all the criticisms that come with X pipes...but its just a matter of getting the right set up.

The UPR O/R X with Mac 3" is tough to beat. And I've heard the Kooks LTs with O/R pro-Chamber with Mac 3". And that's still a toss up with a stock manifolds + UPR O/R X and Mac 3".

Having said all that, if MAC stopped making the 3" I would easily go back to a Borla Stingers with UPR O/R X.

Only problem I ever had with Stingers is that its incredibly difficult to keep it from resting on the passenger side of the gas tank. But the quality is 2nd to none. MAC doesn't have great quality but man their sound is so different.

And I didn't notice any performance loss going from a Borla Stingers 2.5" to 3".

04ScSaleen325

Established Member
kooks 1 1/78 long tube header, kooks off road x, and borla cat back. the video got cut off some put ill make another if anyones interested

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Yya8ZPFFYMg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

edit - does anyone know how i can get the actual video on the post without having to go to youtube

Last edited:
kooks 1 1/78 long tube header, kooks off road x, and borla cat back. the video got cut off some put ill make another if anyones interested

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Yya8ZPFFYMg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

edit - does anyone know how i can get the actual video on the post without having to go to youtube

Here you go buddy.

[youtube_browser]NLvfKvzSvUc[/youtube_browser]

Users who are viewing this thread