Looking for a Good Exhaust Setup for the Cobra

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Throwing new exhaust on the car. Going with a new H pipe and cat back. I'm looking for something that offers a great fit, good sound and nice quality. I have MAC cat back right now with a MRT off-road H pipe. I love the sound of my setup now but ready for some better quality cat back. MAC offers a great sound but the quality isn't really there.

I'm looking for a setup that is easy to install as well, with a nice fit. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

cobraman302

Established Member
In my opinion, the best exhaust for these cars is a Borla catback. I don't really know the difference between Stingers and Atak, but Every 03-04 Cobra I head heard with an off road mid pipe and a Borla catback has sounded badass! It is loud, but it has one hell of a tone/sound to it. That's what my cobra has on it now, and even with the stock mid-pipe, its sounds pretty good. The reason I give this suggestion, is because they install very well (straight and clean looking) and the tips are top notch quality, and the sound is amazing. I have worked with MAC exhaust as you have, and I agree that MAC has a great sounding exhaust, but their quality is lacking (I'm sure they do that by design to keep cost down).

As an alternative, if you REALLLLLLY like the MAC sound, I know some buy the SLP catback, remove the mufflers and put mac mufflers in. Just a thought.

03SVTscott

Established Member
I love me set up....no rasp or popping. Nice low tone when I get on the car. It's not quite, but that's what I like. I get a lot of complements too......Sound does over power the blower whine.....but then again I'm running the stock Eaton.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
In my opinion, the best exhaust for these cars is a Borla catback. I don't really know the difference between Stingers and Atak, but Every 03-04 Cobra I head heard with an off road mid pipe and a Borla catback has sounded badass! It is loud, but it has one hell of a tone/sound to it. That's what my cobra has on it now, and even with the stock mid-pipe, its sounds pretty good. The reason I give this suggestion, is because they install very well (straight and clean looking) and the tips are top notch quality, and the sound is amazing. I have worked with MAC exhaust as you have, and I agree that MAC has a great sounding exhaust, but their quality is lacking (I'm sure they do that by design to keep cost down).

As an alternative, if you REALLLLLLY like the MAC sound, I know some buy the SLP catback, remove the mufflers and put mac mufflers in. Just a thought.

X2 I have Mac mufflers welded into a SLP Catback and I'm going to switch to stingers eventually I think that's best setup for the 03-04 cobra IMHO.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
I've got a magnaflow irs catback (with magnapacks welded in) boxed up and ready to ship. Pm me if interested.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
I love me set up....no rasp or popping. Nice low tone when I get on the car. It's not quite, but that's what I like. I get a lot of complements too......Sound does over power the blower whine.....but then again I'm running the stock Eaton.
Do you have a sound clip of this setup?

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Thanks for the responses guys.

I prefer to get something brand new but I'm not looking to spend a bunch of money on the setup though. I would like to get Borla but they are quite proud of their setups for over 10 year old Cobra, ha. I'm looking to spend a bunch of money at the moment on a new computer and TV so I'm not going too crazy with the exhaust. Just going to keep it at mid pipe and cat back. I like the sound of an H pipe the most, for that deep throaty sound, although I did like a UPR X pipe sound clip I heard of one car (somewhat popular older video of a black Cobra ripping it up in front of a shop). I would love some long tube headers on the car but that is just too much of a pain to get installed.

I'm really happy with the sound of the car currently but, again, I'm very unhappy with the quality of it. If MAC made something for the our Cobras worth a crap I would look into that setup but I don't think they do.

03cobra5485

Established Member
I've got pypes off rd x and a borla cat back, mufflers not stingers, I bought them off my friend who bought them new for 900 bucks in 05 lol.. Got them for 200 bucks, sounds perfect if you want I can take a video. Most everything sounds good on these cars

mach14604

Established Member
Thanks for the responses guys.

I prefer to get something brand new but I'm not looking to spend a bunch of money on the setup though. I would like to get Borla but they are quite proud of their setups for over 10 year old Cobra, ha. I'm looking to spend a bunch of money at the moment on a new computer and TV so I'm not going too crazy with the exhaust. Just going to keep it at mid pipe and cat back. I like the sound of an H pipe the most, for that deep throaty sound, although I did like a UPR X pipe sound clip I heard of one car (somewhat popular older video of a black Cobra ripping it up in front of a shop). I would love some long tube headers on the car but that is just too much of a pain to get installed.

I'm really happy with the sound of the car currently but, again, I'm very unhappy with the quality of it. If MAC made something for the our Cobras worth a crap I would look into that setup but I don't think they do.

Do you have a video of what your setup sounds like?

Woody6799

Established Member
My plan is MAC o/r prochamber and a Stinger CB set up. I was even considering MAC LT's. I have no first hand experience but both guys that I know that run MAC say good things. What is wrong with the quality? Is your car on DD duty?

Bigggy

Established Member
MAC LTs
O/R Prochamber
Stingers

[video=youtube;zbdvAUEEz5Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbdvAUEEz5Q&list=UU-WYagU2iXJx6ASt6pYEfJQ[/video]

With stock manifold you should have less rasp then that.

gmtech

Grease Monkey
Established Member
I have stock Manifolds, off road prochamber and a SLP LM2 catback. I prefer the double walled style tip on the SLP over the borla tips. A buddy of mine has a off road X with the stinger catback and we are very similar in sound. His is louder at idle and mine is louder at WOT (high RPM's), everything in between we sound nearly the same.

Last edited:

ib_604

Established Member
I've also been looking at a new exhaust setup...currently have MRT off road H with Magnaflow CB...want to also go MAC LT's, o/r pro chamber, and Borla Stingers.

I noticed while looking at the MAC o/r pro chamber that there are two versions...the aluminized and SS...any thoughts if SS is really worth the money for the quality if you dont DD your car? Does the metal type effect the sound?

Thx!

Users who are viewing this thread