LOL.....ZL1 owners facing traction issues

GarageLogic

Established Member
As long as I can remember, following the ZL1 announcement, all we've heard is how the GT500 is unable to put its power down and the ZL1 with its super-duper technology and wider tires would not suffer the same fate. Now that various owners have received their cars, we are starting to see that, as many of us suggested, putting 580HP down on the stock Goodyear street tires is going to be a challenge. TooSlow over on C5 found this quote by an actual owner of the car in one of the plethora of posts regarding the ZL1 over there:

Another discovery: if you accelerate a bit harder (not flooring it - you don't have to and I never did), it spins the wheels in second and sometimes in third gear (even in level2 - sport). If you're in second it's a bit scary- it wags the tail - controllable, unless you're turning. My new rule is to only accelerate harder in third gear, and even then, not in corners as it will get away from under you.

So, first gear - forget it, second gear even if you go steady and push hard, not really floor it - the back swings a bit (controllable) and you can feel the tires spinning - and this is on mode 2 with traction/stability control on. Maybe it's because it's only 40 degrees F outside and the tires are not warm enough. I'm sure that if I put it in mode 5 race, it will spin the tires even in 3rd, - I believe it did that even on mode 2 on rough pavement.

Welcome to reality ZL1 nutswingers!

Last edited:

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
But the MR suspension........Launch control.........no way they are having issues...I mean their tires are so big in the rear.....

I mean c'mon a measly 580 HP@the crank could not defeat the ZL1 superior suspension setup !!!!

GarageLogic

Established Member
But the MR suspension........Launch control.........no way they are having issues...I mean their tires are so big in the rear.....

I mean c'mon a measly 580 HP@the crank could not defeat the ZL1 superior suspension setup !!!!
Let alone the laws of physics!:D

R1Lello

Established Member
says 40 deg F outside........that makes a huge difference with tire and asphalt temps.........this is fact, believe me, I hate the new camaro but telling you based on my GT500/my rwhp experience.

Last edited:

Go-Fast

Established Member
says 40 deg F outside........that makes a huge difference with tire and asphalt temps.........this is fact, believe me, I hate the new camaro but telling you based on my GT500/my rwhp experience.

:pop: :burn:

GarageLogic

Established Member
Anybody who owns/has driven a high performance car on summer street tires knows full well what effects temperature can have on traction. That being said, even when things get warm, any car making 580HP/556TQ is going to have problems putting down its power through the stock Goodyears. Higher temps will not make that much of a difference, either.

Besides, I thought the PTM was supposed to solve for those types of things. You mean there is no setting for cold asphalt/summer tires on that behemoth?

Last edited:

BossAnaki

Established Member

Yes, but with all of its superior electronics and technology it should not have these problems. :shrug: It must be the driver?

40calcobra

Established Member

What about the magic carpet ride? From all the hype u would think the zl1 can cut 1.6s 60fts on 4 inches of ice :-Dh

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
If find it weird that chevy chose to throw 3.73's in the rearend. They should have took a hint from chevy's own corvette z cars by putting taller gears in a car with a lot of lowend torque.

The guys at svt did it right making the 13 GT500 hit 62mph in 1st(in the style of the Ford GT). Still wont be a walk in the park to launch on stock rubber in cooler weather but i'm sure it will help.

Zeroescence

Established Member
But it should be much easier to launch the 13 GT500 with the new launch control. Either way why did GM chince on one of the most important things on a track / ring car, TIRES?

Last edited:

jtfx6552

Established Member
I think "traction control" will prove to be a big disappointment for both the ZL1 and the GT500.

I reality, all traction control is, is "torque limiting".

As pointed out in this thread, the laws of physics must be obeyed. Unfortunately that means wheel spin.

The vettes will have it better because they have a better static weight distribution, but blown pony cars are nose heavy.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
says 40 deg F outside........that makes a huge difference with tire and asphalt temps...

This. It's moronic to say "My car has traction problems in 40* weather on goodyears!" Guarantee that when it's 85* in Florida-type humidity the car won't even spin the tires from a roll out.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
wah wah wah......thats what happens when you get a car like that and drive in a winter area.

plus most of those guys cant drive worth a shit, lets see what they say when the florida ones arrive...its still a 580HP supercharged muscle car, its not going to be easy. If you want to drive fast with minimal skill and challenge then buy a GTR

edit: how could i forget reading multiple times on that forum that they believe the ZL1 is a supercar, greatest thing ever built...:nonono:

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

As pointed out in this thread, the laws of physics must be obeyed. Unfortunately that means wheel spin.

But... But... The MR suspension and PTM assembled and transformed into a time machine, went back in time, and slapped Isaac Newton in the face, kicked him in the chest, pointed a finger at him, and with raised fist proclaimed the ZL1 will not abide by his laws!

:pepper::pepper::pepper:

All-Or-Nothing

Established Member
Originally Posted by Mr.R
Another discovery: if you accelerate a bit harder (not flooring it - you don't have to and I never did), it spins the wheels in second and sometimes in third gear (even in level2 - sport). If you're in second it's a bit scary- it wags the tail - controllable, unless you're turning. My new rule is to only accelerate harder in third gear, and even then, not in corners as it will get away from under you.

This dude sounds like he can't drive worth a shit.

"If you're in second it's a bit scary- it wags the tail - controllable, unless you're turning. My new rule is to only accelerate harder in third gear, and even then, not in corners as it will get away from under you."

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:....only accelerate hard in third gear.

V6 Mustangs are gonna be snacking on this guy.

300AGT

Established Member
It all about the new style summer only tires . I am on my sec. year of driving with summer only tires all year round. I can say for a fact they realy don't start working till it gets in the midd 70 deg. + out side . That when the tires go from can not work at all, to the car hooking up dead . Just like a light switch 60 degs and cooler car will not hook at all . Then like magic air temps. get in the upper 70sand Bamm! the car will hook dead form a 1 gear roll . It dam crazy.

Yellow Horse

Established Member
Just wait till they race a twin screwed GT500 pushing 20 psi on a drag strip and see what happens. We'll see plenty of popped engines pushing the boost.

GarageLogic

Established Member
It all about the new style summer only tires . I am on my sec. year of driving with summer only tires all year round. I can say for a fact they realy don't start working till it gets in the midd 70 deg. + out side . That when the tires go from can not work at all, to the car hooking up dead . Just like a light switch 60 degs and cooler car will not hook at all . Then like magic air temps. get in the upper 70sand Bamm! the car will hook dead form a 1 gear roll . It dam crazy.
I've been driving summer tires year round on my GT500's since 2007 and I could not disagree more. They have better traction when it is warm, no doubt, but never have they been able to "dead hook" in first or second gear, roll or not.

Users who are viewing this thread