Lockheed Martin: Compact Fusion Research & Development

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Yet somehow a working tech plasma waste reactors never seemed to get mentioned aka arc recycling.
Hell, I'm all in on the govt projects, TEA and Global Fusion. Not overlooking the stop gap on getting out of fossil and essentially recycle the energy the waste from old technology though. Make the best out of the waste.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Take a look at the link I sent. It goes over everything.

I skimmed it. H2 is far more expensive than CH4 with many more ancillary negatives. If all you want is 0 carbon power generation then start cranking out cookie cutter fission plants. France had a very good model for that years ago, but I'm not sure if they are still using it.

Last edited:

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I skimmed it. H2 is far more expensive than CH4 with many more ancillary negatives. If all you want is 0 carbon power generation then start cranking out cookie cutter fission plants. France had a very good model for that years ago, but I'm not sure if they are still using it.

Net posi fusion plants?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member

Not necessarily what I want.

It’s it’s what I see getting pushed in the foreseeable future. They’ve already started talking about it… and with enough infrastructure, it’s doable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
THIS is part of the equation for sure.

BUT. GE and Siemens I know have the technology ready to go to burn H2 in there Gas Turbines. Easy Refit

Production, Delivery and Storage of H2 on that large of a scale? Those are another issue entirely.

But I really think that can bridge the gap between Fossils and Fusion.

That’s just my 24 years in the industry and what my gut tells me.
Take a look at the link I sent. It goes over everything.
United technology has been using natural gas for their fuel cells for some time. Bunch of them installed up in Hartford. Think they were 400kw units. Even had a turbine add on to cogen the heat.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Not necessarily what I want.

It’s it’s what I see getting pushed in the foreseeable future. They’ve already started talking about it… and with enough infrastructure, it’s doable.

It's like EtOH fuels, looks good on the surface, but doesn't really solve anything.

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
I think what a lot of people tend to forget is that planting trees is a great solution that doesn’t screw over entire nations of hardworking people, to an extent

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
We need to get our resident scientists in here!

The writer of the article didn't study the topic very well. Ignition has been achieved numerous times in the lab via several means. Tokamaks, z-pinch, laser inertial confinement, etc. Every time a hydrogen bomb goes off, ignition has occurred.

What has not happened, and what the article makes no mention of, is the gain of the reaction. Did you get more energy out of it than you had to put into it to get it to fuse? In theory, to practical for power generation we need a gain of 10. The theoretical max is around 10,000. So far, we still have to use more power to create fusion than we get out of it. We haven't even hit break-even. Break-even will be significant, but even that is no good for power production.

Users who are viewing this thread