Local Student killed after wrecked his 03 Cobra showing off to friends

NastyWS6

Established Member
MPO it's reason like this why new drivers should not be driving sports cars like this. They have no sense of responsibility, and nearly took 2 other young lives.

Student killed, two injured in car crash
NORTH HIGH: Sophomore Matthew Neal Clark "had a wonderful life ahead of him."

02/19/2003

By MARLOWE CHURCHILL and JOSE ARBALLO JR.
THE PRESS-ENTERPRISE

HIGHGROVE - A sophomore at John W. North High School was killed and two classmates injured Tuesday when their car, traveling about 100 mph, left a winding road and landed upside down in a rock-lined creek bed, authorities said.

The crash is the latest in a string of accidents that has left several Inland teens dead.

Matthew Neal Clark, 16, of Corona was pronounced dead about 12:30 p.m. at the crash site on Pigeon Pass Road, according to Riverside County coroner's officials.

Passengers Joaquin Maya and Jorge Esquivel, both 16, suffered minor injuries and were taken to Riverside Community Hospital, the California Highway Patrol said.

The CHP said Clark apparently lost control of the Ford Mustang Cobra at a curve about one-half mile east of Mount Vernon Avenue, east of Riverside.

"He kept going, faster, faster, faster," said Jeffrey Skaggs. "I saw the curve coming, and I thought, 'He's not hitting the brakes.' "

Skaggs, a Forest Falls contractor, said he heard the roar of the engine on Pigeon Pass Road just west of the Highgrove landfill about 12:30 p.m. He spotted the Cobra accelerating down the winding two-lane road, he said.

Skaggs said he heard the car crash, then realized it had disappeared off the roadway and probably couldn't be spotted by passing motorists. He called 911 and then drove to the accident scene, finding one of the youths sitting on the road.

CHP Officer Gregory Sotello said the three youths were wearing seat belts. It took paramedics several hours to extricate the Clark's body from the wreckage, which was about 20 feet below the roadway.

The 2003 Cobra was so damaged that the make and model could not be identified from the road.

Ford's Web site lists the Cobra as a limited-edition model for car enthusiasts. The six-speed, 390-horsepower vehicle can cost up to $37,000.

Sotello said the car was traveling so fast that it was airborne for about 260 feet after it missed the curve. He said it appeared the car rolled several times, struck a tree and landed on its roof.

Campus in mourning

North High School Principal Dale Kinnear spent most of the afternoon on the phone with authorities trying to find out more about the accident. The school does not allow students to leave the campus for lunch, and Kinnear did not know why the students were out of school Tuesday.

He planned to visit all three students' homes Tuesday evening.

"He had a wonderful life ahead of him," Kinnear said of Matthew. "We're all in shock. Tomorrow, when we see his empty desk, we're all going to cry."

The two students who survived the accident were supposed to be released from the hospital Tuesday afternoon, Kinnear said. The students, a sophomore and a junior, were both on the school's swim team.

"They're great kids," Kinnear said. "College-going kids."

Matthew was in the school's International Baccalaureate Program, an accelerated academic program geared toward top students.

Crisis counselors will be available today for students and teachers who need them, Kinnear said.

Other accident deaths

Seven Inland teens have now lost their lives to auto crashes in the past three months.

Last week, three Banning High School students were killed when the car they were riding in rolled over on Highway 111 outside Palm Springs. Tiffany Lamb, Rosalie Hernandez and Danielle Peterson, all 17, had planned to graduate in June. A fourth student, 17-year-old Sabrina Joyce, was critically injured.

In January, Loy Moon, 18, and Christopher Gray, 17, both of Yucaipa, died after the 2003 Lexus they were riding in crashed into a tree on Oak Glen Road. Moon was a senior at Yucaipa High School, while Gray was a senior at Mesa Grande Academy, a private school in Calimesa. Investigators initially said the car had been traveling at high speed at the time of the accident.

In December, 17-year-old Grant Nunnally, a champion cross-country runner from Woodcrest Christian High School, died from injuries suffered when the pickup he was driving collided with several other vehicles as he left soccer practice.

While new graduated driver license programs are being credited for helping reduce teenage deaths in traffic accidents, authorities say young motorists still face challenges to driving.

"In some cases, they only have a few months of driving experience," said Jim Whitney, public affairs officer for the California Highway Patrol in Riverside. "It's sometimes a matter of maturity. They like to show off and drive too fast."

Staff writer Maria T. Garcia contributed to this report.

Marlowe Churchill can reached by email at [email protected].

Jose Arballo Jr. can reached by email at [email protected].

Last edited:

Z06_2002

www.HighSpeedDriving.com
Established Member
:( My thoughts and prayers will be with them and their familes.

I am 42 now, and I wonder sometimes how I made it this far, I know I have pushed the envelope many of times too far when I was young.

:(

NastyWS6

Established Member
Originally posted by Z06_2002
:( My thoughts and prayers will be with them and their familes.

I am 42 now, and I wonder sometimes how I made it this far, I know I have pushed the envelope many of times too far when I was young.

:(

I have wondered the very same thing many a times before, and am only 22. It's seeing things like this that make me happy to have stopped caring to show off with others in the car.

NastyWS6

Established Member
I wish I could find a way to show you guys the picture of this, let me tell you it doesn't look good at all :(

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Thats a very sad incident...390HP is alot of responsibiltiy for anyone, let alone someone that is only 16yrs of age...

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Originally posted by NastyWS6
I wish I could find a way to show you guys the picture of this, let me tell you it doesn't look good at all :(

You got a link to the pics ? I can put them up.

CobraTone

Established Member
Damn, extremely tragic incident. You have to take driving in steps. I started with a 100 hp Corolla when I was 15, went to a mustang GT at 18, and by 20-21 when I got my Cobra I feel I can handle the car with no problems. Sure I show off to friends, but never at those high speeds, especially on unfamiliar roads. It's all about your level of maturity and how egotistical you are.

A truly sad incident. :nonono:

VeNoMiZeD

Established Member
Thats just SAD. Im 22 myself, and im not trying to say that im older and experienced but im 6 years maturer(driving exp. (which is still not alot) and a couple of close calls, can wake a person up and take more precautions. I feel bad for his family, because they probably feel guilty/mad for buying such a powerfull car, for such a young person. And for this to all happen :( .

I know there are a few very young people on this site that have 03 COBRAS. All i have to say is be very careful. I had a 93 and i thought that was powerful and fast, which it is:-D . But i could imagine a 03 COBRA, espcially modified. BE CAREFULL and THINK TWICE about the consequences of your actions, whether its a ticket, impound, or even worse DEATH or a horrible Injury!!!!!

THINK with your HEAD, NOT your EGO!!!

PEACE.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
ahh..just as well... I have seen too many gruesome wrecks anyways..My uncle runs several Ambulance services... I used to ride along on occassion when I was younger...Very sobering experience to see what car wrecks can do to a person.

NastyWS6

Established Member
The wreck isn't as bad as I have seen before but this car was a coupe and now looks like a vert from the roof being completely caved in. Plus, either the front or the rear being substantially crushed.

NastyWS6

Established Member
For all who are located in Riverside and surrounding cities it is on the front page of the local section.

NXCobra

Established Member
Very sad, I personally would never give my kid or let them have the keys to a high powered car. I know all too well what I was like, and it scares me to think my kid could be the same way.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I work in a small town that seems to be fairly well off financially. I am a therapist, and I often go to the schools in the area to talk to some of the students about their problems. I'm always amazed at what I see when I drive up to the Senior Highschool parking lot: New vettes, BMW's, Mustangs etc.

What the parents of these children (for let's remember that is what they are) are thinking when they put their loved ones behind vehicles like this I'll never know. Sadly, it's often to 'keep up with the neighbors' or because they don't know how to say 'no' to their child.

I see a surprising amount of young people with an 03 cobra. I won't make a blanket statement about it because we all know there are no absolutes, but I am a strong believer in what has been mentioned previously: High horsepower cars need to be grown into, not simply given by 'daddy'. It takes experience to learn how to drive fast safely. I'm just sorry that many won't be given a chance to learn.

If you can't afford to buy it yourself, then you're not ready to own it.

darkcrayz

Established Member
He was too young to have that much horse power.

I am sorry for the loss, and my prayers go out to his family.

Blades

Established Member
Man.. thats friggin awful.. I couldn't even drive a god damn radio flyer straight when i was 16 let alone one of these beasts.. The first car I had was a 97 GMC Jimmy. nice stuff. One day i pushed the pedal all the way to the floor and it actually.. scared me.. I knew nothing about cars.. still dont know too much but still.. Its weird how this kid could even get up to 100mph without crashing at say.. 55..

I tend to get into more trouble with my daily driver than I do with my Cobra because I respect the Cobras power.. But some people just have no fear.. That sucks.. :( Poor kid..

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
This is the unfortunate truth and case in point from a discussion had on this very board only weeks ago....

I'm sorry for his family, but his parents put that car in his hands. It was irresponsible and they, and their son, have paid the ultimate price. I pray they find peace in time.

I'm sorry. Just had to get that off my chest.

A waste of a young life. :(

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread