Local Student killed after wrecked his 03 Cobra showing off to friends

MoPony

Established Member
i wont let my 22yr old son drive the cobra or the vette unless im in the car with him.what are parents thinking when they give the keys to something like that to a kid (sorry if i offend )what do they expect.we lost a nephew to the same situtation,only 2 killed 6 injured bad .RIP Greg&Ryan.they both loved cars .but why did he have a fast car at 16-his -mom signed for it. respect cars and there dangers.i know i wouldnt be sitting here typing this if i had a vehicle like this when when i was 16.My heart goes out to these families and there friends peace

Chris C

Established Member
My prayers go out to the family... Im only 19 and i fully respect the powers of this car. Im still learning its limitaions and mine in the car, and i've had it since november. I blame the parents for giving a young kid that car, even though im not much older myself but i know my limits so far. But im going to admit i have done my fare share of stupid things but nothing like going 100 on winding roads,:nono:

Turboniam

Established Member
Originally posted by Lethalchem
If you can't afford to buy it yourself, then you're not ready to own it.

I like the sound of that... not only will it protect the kids from faster cars, but also teach them the value of hard work and earning things you want in life vs just getting what you want by asking for it from mommy and daddy!!

Two birds with one stone!

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
Truly sad and tragic. I have had several close calls in my life, I am thankful that the good Lord keep me safe through some of my less bright moments.

Death of a child is something I cannot fully fathom. Youth doesn't equal invincible. Rest in Peace.

And to the family, may your memories keep you at peace.

RonL55SVT

Established Member
Tragic and Sad

There is nothing worse than loosing a son or daughter and giving a 16 year old kid 400hp is suicide. I am one of the older farts on this board and you got to believe that it takes a level of maturity and driving skills that are rarely found in the average 16 year old. Not to be overly critical at a time like this, but damn what were mom and dad thinking. What a sad loss--rest in peace young man!

VintagePorscheG

Old School SVT Poster
Established Member
giving a 16 year old kid 400hp is suicide

In my opinion, its irresponsible. I live in a community where I see this a lot. Kids driving everything from 1978 Dodge K- Cars to Vipers. I in fact had a 914 2.0 that was 6 years old (1980) when I was in high school. It was a great car. I didn't have 400 hp. but still had a very cool car.

I can tell you that my kids may have a cool car to drive, but it will be used and it will not be a 700hp viper or anything like the Cobra.

I have 5 more years to go before my oldest is ready to drive, by then used Boxsters and Z3s should be pretty cheap...

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Lots of good thoughts on this subject

There is only one that I would like to add...it was what my Father said after I had my first accident when I was 17:

"Well, glad we got that out of the way..."

Translation: "I'm glad you had your first accident and survived it. Now, you realize what's up when an accident happens. Be more careful next time.

Now, let's figure out how you're going to pay for the parts to fix your vehicle...since you're about to learn how to do body work."

I just wish that this fellow's first accident could have been a fender bender rather than a barrel roll through some trees. It's always a countdown, beginning with Freshman year, how many classmates we lose due to death, either through disease, accidents, or even self-neglect...

Our thoughts are with him, his classmates, and his family.

rskdsk

Established Member
I would have to question the sanity of anyone who gives the keys of a 400hp car to a 16 year old kid!

olchakla

Dallas Mustang Cover Car
Established Member
It is terrible, I am sure his parents have regrets about letting their son have such a powerful car.

I have emotions for them. My son had a terrible accident 3 weeks after he got his drivers license. He just had an Izuzu 4 cyl car.

Tried to pass a slower moving car and had troubles that caused him to hit an oncoming car head on. His left arm was sheared off as a result of the accident and the boy in seat behind his drivers seat was killed. It was a miracle that my son wasn't killed also. From the center of the front end to behind the drivers door was crushed in. His sneakers were still lodged under the pedals, and the fireman almost had to amputate his legs to remove him.

Young kids feel invincable and don't realize how dangerous a car can be. The 03 Cobra and its awesome power just makes it so much easier to get into trouble quicker. Anytime I come across a parent that has a child starting their drivers training or just started driving, I bend their ear and preach my story. Tell them to discipline their kids in the dangers of driving and how easy it can be to get killed.

They might comment about me and my fast driving in my car, but it is picking the right time and place to punch the pedal to the metal.

beater88lx

Established Member
I think that this article shows that its more the driver than the car. We have a kid in a sports car (cobra), a luxury car (lexus) and a pickup truck. I had a 5.0 when I was 16, and I won't lie.... I ran that thing off the road. Of course it was my first experince in snow (no snow tires) and I was going slow so I just slid off the road and dented my door & fender a bit. Never had a problem after that. Kids who have these crashes go fast no matter what they're driving. I think a cheap POS is just as dangerous because of that "I don't car about this car attitude". The only real solution to this problem is an intensive driver training program. Something like the professional driving schools have. Granted I'm only 23, but when I have kids I guarantee they'll be going to that kind of training in addition to my own school of driving. ;-)

Jasonz06

Established Member
That's tragic but not suprising. When I was 16 I had a 1979 Sirocco and I drove the hell out of it...thankfully it topped out at about 100...If my parents gave me an '03 cobra when I was 16 there is no telling what would have happened. I feel for the parents but they should have known better...

Trader

Established Member
260 feet? damn, that is a long way to fly in a 3800lb car, he must have been hauling ass.

Truly very very sad. I feel bad for him but more so for his parents.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
It's not that I lack sympathy, but did you notice that in two accounts these young people had 2003 cars. When I started driving back in 1964 I had a 1950 Ford that pushed out a whopping 65 horsepower. Maybe if these kids' parents were a little less generous they'd be alive today.

NC STANG GUY

03 gone but not forgotten
Established Member
I hate to hear of anyone getting killed/hurt in an auto accident. I wager that just as many younger kids are killed in honda civics and the like though. Its just events like this that get put out in the public eye by the press. There are some teens that can handle and be responsible enough to have a car like that but not many.
I've had V8 mustangs since I was 15 (27 now).

Billy

ADR

Greased Lightning
Established Member
I think that this article shows that its more the driver than the car. We have a kid in a sports car (cobra), a luxury car (lexus) and a pickup truck. I had a 5.0 when I was 16, and I won't lie.... I ran that thing off the road. Of course it was my first experince in snow (no snow tires) and I was going slow so I just slid off the road and dented my door & fender a bit. Never had a problem after that. Kids who have these crashes go fast no matter what they're driving. I think a cheap POS is just as dangerous because of that "I don't car about this car attitude". The only real solution to this problem is an intensive driver training program. Something like the professional driving schools have. Granted I'm only 23, but when I have kids I guarantee they'll be going to that kind of training in addition to my own school of driving.

Its a big differnce in a car that picks up speed slowly and a car that will probably go from 0-100 in about 7 seconds, an inexpierenced driver just can not react to that, where as a slow car his skills can grow with it, because the car can only do so much, yeah kids will speed in anything but the type of car it is determines how fast that is, and a 400 hp is way to much for a kid that probably just got his liscence, sorry for the lost. Other Parents can learn from this.

dmreitz

Established Member
Lansing, IL (Chi. Suburb on Indiana border)
Originally posted by NXCobra
Very sad, I personally would never give my kid or let them have the keys to a high powered car. I know all too well what I was like, and it scares me to think my kid could be the same way.

I completely agree - and my little guy will only be 2 in a couple months! It's got to be done in stages... and they have to EARN the privelage to drive vehicles like this. The majority of 16 year olds out there can barely keep ANY car on the road let alone a muscle car. It's all about experience, responsibility, and attitude. Until you have a good amount of experience... until you have the appropriate level of responsibility... and until you have the proper attitude... you don't deserve to drive or own a car like that.

I feel sorry for the family of this kid. It's a tragedy.

sloopjonb

Established Member
I have to echo the same sentiment as others here. I am a father first, and also an insurance agent. Seeing what a lot of well-off parents give their kids to drive both sickens and angers me. I've gone through the high school student parking lot and have seen new Corvettes, M3s, etc. In the warm weather add high-powered Ninja bikes. I have to assume the parents are either completely stupid, don't care about their kids, or care more about their financial image. With some of my insureds, it's obvious that it is about their image, as reflected through their kid's toys. I try to discourage them by suggesting less dangerous equivalents, but they don't want to go through the hassle, preferring instead to just give the kid what he or she wants so they can go back to doing their own thing.

I am saddened that this young man lost his life, and I extend my sympathies to the family members not involved in the decision to give him a Cobra. My disgust and anger prevents me from feeling the same for his guardians - they endangered us all.

Users who are viewing this thread