List of Cheap Sleeper Potential cars (prefer turbo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffjosh

Established Member
Any reason not to use a mid 90s stang?

I see a lot of good running V-6 for under $2k.

Im familiar with the 4.6 engines. SO throwing some boost at one would be right down my alley if I swapped one.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm not sure if the OP actually knows what a sleeper is, let alone half the people in this thread.
A S/C 3800 in an old regal or something is a sleeper. A DSM is not a sleeper, people have known what he 4G63 is capable of for the past 20 years.

While i agree with you on turboing the Crown Vic(that would be awesome, OP needs to check out "the Law" on youtube). The GM 3800 Supercharged motor has been out 20 years and people know about it. Its not a secret. Its not as widely known as the 4G63 but since ZZP has been around the motor has gotten a TON of attention, especially with the bolt on intercooled turbo kits.

Only way i would call it a sleeper is if you shoved the motor into a NON-factory supercharged version, like the regular grand prix. If you see the front and rear GTP bumpers, hood and exhaust, you know whats going on under the skin.

OP, what about a motor swap like a 4G63T into an old Hyundai Excel. Its been done before and can make great power. Hard to find an Excel but if you do the swap is quite cheap. These days swapping in motors from different manufacturers is much easier than it used to be. Engine management has it down to a science now with companies like Mega Squirt, SDS EFI and big stuff 3.

Last edited:

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
How about a Mercury Capri...basically a Foxbody Mustang without the Mustang nameplate.

Posted via Topify on Android

I love Capris, but they go for waaaaay more than $1500.

Dodge Omni GLHS.

The old turbo Mopars are a good candidate.

Better still, you can swap the 2.5T into an older Grand Caravan, or the 2.4T (SRT-4) into the late 90s models. Now THAT is a sleeper.

Also in the turbo Mopar category; all you need is a Neon (1st of 2nd gen) and throw in a 2.4T, which you can get cheap out of a PT Cruiser GT. Anything that doesn't look like an SRT-4 doesn't get a second glance.

Mazdaspeed6

Great cars, waaaaay more than $1500.

And don't forget the Merkur xr4ti. Basically a fancy euro Mustang SVO. They can be had surprisingly cheap.

Last but not least, the old Volvo 240 turbobricks can be tons of fun for cheap.

ffjosh

Established Member
While i agree with you on turboing the Crown Vic(that would be awesome, OP needs to check out "the Law" on youtube). The GM 3800 Supercharged motor has been out 20 years and people know about it. Its not a secret. Its not as widely known as the 4G63 but since ZZP has been around the motor has gotten a TON of attention, especially with the bolt on intercooled turbo kits.

Only way i would call it a sleeper is if you shoved the motor into a NON-factory supercharged version, like the regular grand prix. If you see the front and rear GTP bumpers, hood and exhaust, you know whats going on under the skin.

OP, what about a motor swap like a 4G63T into an old Hyundai Excel. Its been done before and can make great power. Hard to find an Excel but if you do the swap is quite cheap. These days swapping in motors from different manufacturers is much easier than it used to be. Engine management has it down to a science now with companies like Mega Squirt, SDS EFI and big stuff 3.

I dont mind engine swapping. Like you said it is easier. However I hate electrical:lol:

ffjosh

Established Member
I love Capris, but they go for waaaaay more than $1500.

The old turbo Mopars are a good candidate.

Better still, you can swap the 2.5T into an older Grand Caravan, or the 2.4T (SRT-4) into the late 90s models. Now THAT is a sleeper.

Also in the turbo Mopar category; all you need is a Neon (1st of 2nd gen) and throw in a 2.4T, which you can get cheap out of a PT Cruiser GT. Anything that doesn't look like an SRT-4 doesn't get a second glance.

Great cars, waaaaay more than $1500.

And don't forget the Merkur xr4ti. Basically a fancy euro Mustang SVO. They can be had surprisingly cheap.

Last but not least, the old Volvo 240 turbobricks can be tons of fun for cheap.

I saw a turbo van on youtube. Sounded wicked and was a true sleeper.

I like the neon idea. Ill look into that.

I have always been a fan of neons when I was wanting to oval track race.

Edit: The cheapest turbo 2.5 I found was $5k!!!!

Holy cow they want alot

Otherwise I would just fix up the PT cruiser...so ugly

Last edited:

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
If you see the front and rear GTP bumpers, hood and exhaust, you know whats going on under the skin.
QUOTE]

How many truly pay that much attention to Grand Prixs?

enough to where if im lined up against one and know its gonna happen at the light. the GTP badge is right there on the door. big bold chrome letters too. cant miss it. and i believe it states supercharged right under the big GTP.

ICU 5.0

Established Member
It isnt hard to de-badge something. Plus bumper covers are really cheap. The transmissions paired with the fwd 3800's are complete shit and break easy though. 3800 fbody...yeah that is a better idea.

ffjosh

Established Member
I think im going to be better off just buying something ugly and sticking a 4.6 in it and running a turbo.

From what I read you can get 400 HP out of a 4.6 before stuff goes wrong. Heck I even seen 500 HP.

Just search CL until I find something

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
I'm just really curious of what your purpose with this car is.

You just want to go fast as cheap as possible? That sounds like an accident waiting to happen!
Or are you planning on taking it down a drag strip as a sort of joke...like this?
[youtube_browser]sCuGNMOHIy4[/youtube_browser]

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I searched Craig list and found these things everywhere cheap. I'll look into these for sure

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/4523073539.html

Did you see that one? I dont know what part of indiana you are in but that sounds like quite the steal for $1k even if the body is in rough shape.

FYI too, there are people doing part outs all the ****ing time, so anything that annoys you, just hop on CL or ecmlink forums (which I believe is now open to public) and buy some shit for cheap. Me and my buddies used to make quite the money off of full partouts, people in rust areas pay $20-30 for some of the stupidest brackets or bolts.

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
Any reason not to use a mid 90s stang?

I see a lot of good running V-6 for under $2k.

Im familiar with the 4.6 engines. SO throwing some boost at one would be right down my alley if I swapped one.

You could do that, or get a 96-98 GT sell the drivetrain, keep the rear end. Then put a 460 stroker in it. Stroke the 460 out to 521ci, with Ford racing cobra jet heads, forged pistons, and a 200 shot of nitrous+ built auto of your choice.

1,000 horsepower, and cheaper than most builds. Don't expect to get any gas mileage though LOL.

That way you could say, they laughed when I bought a NPI 4.6.

They are crying now.

ffjosh

Established Member
I'm just really curious of what your purpose with this car is.

You just want to go fast as cheap as possible? That sounds like an accident waiting to happen!
Or are you planning on taking it down a drag strip as a sort of joke...like this?
[youtube_browser]sCuGNMOHIy4[/youtube_browser]

It will mainly go down the drag strip.

I guess sort of a joke you could say.

Im not much into street racing

I like to watch it
I do not like to par take

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread