List of Cheap Sleeper Potential cars (prefer turbo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffjosh

Established Member
A lot of good candidates mentioned in here so far.

I forgot to mention 1990-1994 LX Protege 1.8 DOHC or Mazda MX3 and turbo it or use a 2.5 V6 MX6/Probe GT engine.

I can find the Protege cheap!!!!

Found some decents ones that I think I rather just drive lol

ffjosh

Established Member
Protege is out of the question. It will blow up trying to get below 13.5

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
Protege is out of the question. It will blow up trying to get below 13.5

And none of these others will? You take any $1500 car, add a turbo to a high mileage, blow by oil burning engine, and then race it, i think you're running on borrowed time. You might get lucky, you might not, but either way you're taking someone's beater car and expecting it to hold up to boost and 13 second quarter mile passes after hard launches - some things going to break! I'm not saying your idea is stupid, in fact I've always gotten a kick out of the chump series of racing, but expecting a protege will blow up while these other cheap cars will be stout racers is sketchy.

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:

Blackoyote

Established Member
I was under the impression you wanted something factory FI...dude, pick up one of the numerous DOHC swapped old Civic coupes or hatches that are out there for around $2k. Those with a cheap eBay turbo kit can be quite a lot of fun...for a short period of time.

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
Add performance fart can exhaust and you'll 9s in the 1/4 all day long. Also tow hooks to pull your trophy trailer!

I was under the impression you wanted something factory FI...dude, pick up one of the numerous DOHC swapped old Civic coupes or hatches that are out there for around $2k. Those with a cheap eBay turbo kit can be quite a lot of fun...for a short period of time.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
your best bet is a 1st gen talon/laser in either GSX or GST form. Gut it, port the **** out of everything, full open 3" exhaust, ebay fmic+piping, TBE. MBC. used 190 walboro w/rewire (or 255 + regulator), 550cc injectors, used/ebay SAFC2 and some sort of cheap pocket logger. Crank that 14b up to around 16-18psi and youll hit mid 13's easy. Reliably? Im sure youll find a few parts that were in need of replacing along the way.

Id say you could easily hit this with a $15-2k car and an extra $600-800 in mods if you did it right. The good thing is that motor wont be some high mileage blow-by oil burning engine, itll be the ****ing stout 4g63 thatll laugh at whatever you throw at it at that point.

Id say if your goals are only mid 13's then a GST (fwd) with decent tire will do just fine, as you can generally pick them up cheaper than a GSX (awd). But if your goals are deeper, then you may want to go AWD right off the bat. AWD will have more parts that can break, and being that you are less likely to break traction the more stress you are putting on said parts than FWD that will just roast tires if they get fed too much power.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I'm not sure if the OP actually knows what a sleeper is, let alone half the people in this thread.

A S/C 3800 in an old regal or something is a sleeper. A DSM is not a sleeper, people have known what he 4G63 is capable of for the past 20 years.

OP the car you own already meets all of your requirements, and if you are worried about weight just gut the shit out of it and get it into the 3xxx range.

- Motor can be found in every junkyard all over
- Drivetrain has tons of aftermarket parts
- can find one for $1500 bucks
- a fast crown vic is ACTUALLY a sleeper, nobody expects that shit.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I'm not sure if the OP actually knows what a sleeper is, let alone half the people in this thread.

A S/C 3800 in an old regal or something is a sleeper. A DSM is not a sleeper, people have known what he 4G63 is capable of for the past 20 years.

The only people that know what a 1st gen is capable of is someone who knows DSM's.

To everyone else at the track, its some beat to shit, boxy looking late 80's/early 90's import (which is funny because its not even an import technically). A 2nd gen, on the other hand, greatly more associated with being a tuner car so more often people will assume its modded/quick because of F&F. 1st gen is like an older supra, rarely will it be associated with something fast as compared to its more well known brethren.

ffjosh

Established Member
And none of these others will? You take any $1500 car, add a turbo to a high mileage, blow by oil burning engine, and then race it, i think you're running on borrowed time. You might get lucky, you might not, but either way you're taking someone's beater car and expecting it to hold up to boost and 13 second quarter mile passes after hard launches - some things going to break! I'm not saying your idea is stupid, in fact I've always gotten a kick out of the chump series of racing, but expecting a protege will blow up while these other cheap cars will be stout racers is sketchy.

Guess I didn't mean it like that. From what I read to get below 13.5 is going to take getting to the internals of the engine.

Anything past that is a guarantee blow up. Not borrowes time. A for sure thing lol

ffjosh

Established Member
your best bet is a 1st gen talon/laser in either GSX or GST form. Gut it, port the **** out of everything, full open 3" exhaust, ebay fmic+piping, TBE. MBC. used 190 walboro w/rewire (or 255 + regulator), 550cc injectors, used/ebay SAFC2 and some sort of cheap pocket logger. Crank that 14b up to around 16-18psi and youll hit mid 13's easy. Reliably? Im sure youll find a few parts that were in need of replacing along the way.

Id say you could easily hit this with a $15-2k car and an extra $600-800 in mods if you did it right. The good thing is that motor wont be some high mileage blow-by oil burning engine, itll be the ****ing stout 4g63 thatll laugh at whatever you throw at it at that point.

Id say if your goals are only mid 13's then a GST (fwd) with decent tire will do just fine, as you can generally pick them up cheaper than a GSX (awd). But if your goals are deeper, then you may want to go AWD right off the bat. AWD will have more parts that can break, and being that you are less likely to break traction the more stress you are putting on said parts than FWD that will just roast tires if they get fed too much power.

I searched Craig list and found these things everywhere cheap. I'll look into these for sure

ffjosh

Established Member

OP the car you own already meets all of your requirements, and if you are worried about weight just gut the shit out of it and get it into the 3xxx range.

- Motor can be found in every junkyard all over
- Drivetrain has tons of aftermarket parts
- can find one for $1500 bucks
- a fast crown vic is ACTUALLY a sleeper, nobody expects that shit.

I actually have a p71 so everyone thinks its fast lol. It's not. I'm lucky to hit 15

Its like my old diesel truck. It's not worth the money to hit 14s lol

And its my dd. I need a pos to play with.

Prototype007

Established Member
Tercel would be a perfect sleeper.

Let me mention I would like to make whatever I get a sub 13 sec car.

Even if its 12.99...something about seeing 12secs

My 1995 Tercel went 13.90 @ 98 mph with a 4efte making 132 whp @ 8 psi. Placed the motor in a 1993 chassis and turned the boost up to 11 psi and made 151 whp. Very old news now.

Word from the wise, don't ever under any circumstance consider a Tercel motor that's from a 1994 and older. Chassis is ok, but no on the 12 valve engines.

Last edited:

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I actually have a p71 so everyone thinks its fast lol. It's not. I'm lucky to hit 15

Its like my old diesel truck. It's not worth the money to hit 14s lol

And its my dd. I need a pos to play with.

A lot of people are idiots, when I was at carlisle last month some guy came up to one of my friends and asked where he could get "the cop chip" for his grand marquis.

This would be a sleeper, its supercharged and looks horrible.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/4516328427.html

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
To be honest a mustang is going to be your cheapest bet ($10k build at least). There is a stock body/stock hood bland green convertible Fox mustang with a luggage rack and stock rims running around here with 750 horsepower to the wheels.

The only thing that gives it away are the boost gauges.

As Truefiveo said, HP isn't cheap. Therefore if you are going to build something make it worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread