List of Cheap Sleeper Potential cars (prefer turbo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffjosh

Established Member
I own a crown vic and wanted to turbo it. However even if I do all the modifications to do so I still own a heavy land yacht.

So Im looking for cars that have great potential to become sleepers.

Something that can be bought for $1500 (give or take)
Something that has aftermarket parts available
Something if you blow the engine you can find junk yard engines on the cheap.

I prefer to turbo the car.

ideas?

openaccount

Established Member
You want a car that already has a turbo? GL finding something road worthy with a turbo under 2k.

If you want to turbo a cheap car then unfortunately a Honda is probably your best best

Blackoyote

Established Member
1st gen Eclipse/Talon/Laser in turbo trim...but they're going to be dog shit for $1500.

1st gen MX-6 turbo.

Turbo Daytona.

That's going to be about it in that range...

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
1st gen Eclipse/Talon/Laser in turbo trim...but they're going to be dog shit for $1500.

exactly what I was thinking.

OR..

Ford Probe GT for dirt cheap, and turbo. Those little shit cans are fun

bokyo1987

Established Member
There's a pretty decent aftermarket for the GM 3800 v6 engines in the w-bodies (GTP, Monte Carlo SS, etc). Some variants are already supercharged if you prefer that over a turbo. But the turbo kits can be had for not too much money as well. A major drawback for the w-bodies is that they're fwd though.

Prototype007

Established Member
1995+ Tercel, 1992-1995 Paseo, 1996+ Paseo. Seriously.

4efte swap if you want something simple and in the 160 whp range. Or use the 1.5, get a stand alone system, turbo it, make over 300 whp with ALL STOCK INTERNALS. No forged rotating assembly, no aftermarket cams needed, just head gasket and head studs. They are literally like 1/2 Supra's.

Above vehicles mentioned usually weigh 2100 lbs. at most with full interior and max capacity fluids and no one in the car.

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
I'm going to agree with the the Pontiac GTP. You can probably find a high mileage, late 90s Grand Prix GTP.

Ford Taurus SHO?

How about a Mercury Capri...basically a Foxbody Mustang without the Mustang nameplate.

Posted via Topify on Android

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
you can get a 1st gen dsm but its going to be a ****ing pile of crap for $1500 and likely not run and even when it does shit will just break because its going on 20+ years at this point.

But if you put a little time and money into it, or go with a 2nd gen and spend a little more up front youll get better results.

I see too many people buy the cheapest examples on CL then when the car sucks they blame it on the make. No, its because you are buying the worst one you can buy. Ive not had many issues out of the ordinary maintenance or those I created myself when I chose to spend a little more for the best examples at the time.

Prototype007

Established Member
A lot of good candidates mentioned in here so far.

I forgot to mention 1990-1994 LX Protege 1.8 DOHC or Mazda MX3 and turbo it or use a 2.5 V6 MX6/Probe GT engine.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
turbo the crown vic and enjoy the 400+hp flying couch.

i drive an elantra that has some work done and nitrous and it rolls pretty good. most parts had to be fabbed up or modified from other cars but it works and is extremely reliable.

ffjosh

Established Member
You want a car that already has a turbo? GL finding something road worthy with a turbo under 2k.

If you want to turbo a cheap car then unfortunately a Honda is probably your best best

Sorry I meat I would like to put a turbo on the car

99-venom

Established Member
87-88 Thunderbird turbo coupe. Very cheap to mod. The ignition system can be some what temperamental.

ffjosh

Established Member
Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

Ill write down all your ideas and search CL.

Be sweet to get 300-400 HP out of a 2100lb car.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
my first car was an old grand prix gtp I think it was a 97.

LOVED that car

ffjosh

Established Member
1995+ Tercel, 1992-1995 Paseo, 1996+ Paseo. Seriously.

4efte swap if you want something simple and in the 160 whp range. Or use the 1.5, get a stand alone system, turbo it, make over 300 whp with ALL STOCK INTERNALS. No forged rotating assembly, no aftermarket cams needed, just head gasket and head studs. They are literally like 1/2 Supra's.

Above vehicles mentioned usually weigh 2100 lbs. at most with full interior and max capacity fluids and no one in the car.

Tercel would be a perfect sleeper.

Let me mention I would like to make whatever I get a sub 13 sec car.

Even if its 12.99...something about seeing 12secs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread