Life after the "Terminator"

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
Love this build! I did a similar build on an older car and it really nickeled and dimed me on the small parts - especially the many trips to the dealership. On things like the fuel lines, brake lines, retaining clips and hardware, are they aftermarket or are you using OEM Ford stuff? Just wondering your strategy since it might be helpful for my next build. Good luck and keep up the great work! :beer:

It helps having two vehicles that are almost identical. The one I am working on gets the best items from both trucks and the one I drive gets what is left. I source parts from a couple places, new oem stock, local parts store, the black 98 Ranger, and Craigslist part outs. $20.00 will buy a lot of clips, bolts, and misc. small items from someone trying to get the wreckage out of the yard. Many items are also original to this truck or the Explorer engine assembly I purchased.

The strategy is to try and stay as simple as possible with mostly stock parts common to the Ranger, V8 Explorer, or V8 Mustang. That can be difficult at times because we all want more power and some nice aluminum heads. But this is a work truck and it will cover all of Florida from Key West to Pensacola. At any time I can find myself on the side of the road needing parts. Those replacement parts must be easy to come by. Gt40P heads were used because they are fairly common and made of iron which should hold up better in extreme conditions when compared to aluminum.

Last edited:

RichM1983

Established Member
I love that your painting this stuff outside. So many people would flame someone for doing it like that but you prove good prep and hard work and you don't need to be a in a million dollar shop. Truck looks great. I wouldn't be able to drive it when I was done lol.

jbrown1238

Established Member
This is amazing.

Ever thought about doing work like this on any later model mustangs (1990 and up)? I bet there are a ton of decent 1 owner mustangs that you could get cheap and make them look like this.

the attention to detail is rediculous, great job, keep up the good work!

Yes, many times through the years. I always wanted to do a Teal 93 Cobra, a 93 Reef Blue Notch, and a 95-98 Cobra. I even bought a nice 92 hatch to clone a Teal 93 Cobra but ended up selling it when we bought the 07 GT conv.

srt10ram

The Little 2v That Could
Established Member
Damn, talk about paying attention to detail. :eek::rockon: Awesome build and I thought I was ocd about stuff like this.

jbrown1238

Established Member
HELL YES.

I said it when I saw your sons Fox build, I said it when you painted your Cobra, and I'll say it again after seeing this.

One day you WILL paint one of my cars. The attention to detail and blocking the doors for a perfect reflection at the door seams is the best part of it all.

I CANNOT wait until you post pics of the paint after wet sand and buffing. Please post the business car trick again. those really show how level you get your paint!

I probably won't be doing much during the month of December just because of the family obligations around the holidays. But the truck has been sitting in the Florida sun for a couple months now after paint and is ready to be color sanded and buffed at any time. I plan to get on that right after the first of the year.

I will probably get flamed for posting these but here are the photos you requested, back from the dead. I will try to be sure and take some new ones when the time comes on the Ranger build.

DSC02622.jpg

DSC02625.jpg

DSC02626.jpg

DSC02627.jpg

Rightfrontfender_zpsd3134792.jpg

Last edited:

jbrown1238

Established Member
Stoked to see the next update on the progress. Incredible attention to detail and I am shocked that this is your first engine build. Must be a rewarding feeling driving a vehicle that's powered by something that you built with your own two hands.

Thank you. Not sure about it being rewarding just yet. I hope so down the road if it starts! Keep your fingers crossed!!!

jbrown1238

Established Member
Amazing job so far. The attention to detail is second to none. You don't have OCD by any chance, do you? Haha jk

Funny you should ask. I have always been big into perfect 90 degree angles, straight edges, I stop to fix that stack of books. In the last few years I find myself constantly counting things I look at. Example: Driving by a line of Palm trees on the road, one, two, three! Yep, I'm sick. The forth one wasn't planted right!

jbrown1238

Established Member
I love that your painting this stuff outside. So many people would flame someone for doing it like that but you prove good prep and hard work and you don't need to be a in a million dollar shop. Truck looks great. I wouldn't be able to drive it when I was done lol.

Most of the time I try not to spray out in the open. The truck had just a small spray area and I had planned on doing the cab in two sections, firewall forward one day, and firewall back the next day. I wanted to keep the surface area small, get in and out in a hurry so the material didn't lay wet long. At the last minute I made the decision to spray the entire cab in one shot. That morning the air was still and the neighborhood was moving much. I got lucky with this one, I have sprayed cars in booths that didn't come out this clean. In all honesty it could go without being buffed.

I wish I had a shop to work in but guess I should be happy with what I do have, a 12 x 12 barn, a 5 hp compressor, and 26 feet of concrete.

Users who are viewing this thread