Life after the "Terminator"

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Wow this is your first engine build??? Persistence is strong in you my friend. Amazing thread and awesome build.

Hank

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
Can you explain the "v" notch on each piston? I realize the pistons have reliefs for the valves, but wouldn't the notch create a spot for detonation to initiate?

SIC9250

Coyote_Mach
Established Member
^ the V notch is a way to identify how the pistons are assembled into a block..ie right and left side pistons...very detail oriented build OP don't know why a ranger of all cars to restore or build but if it's what you dig go for it! Keep up the good work!

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
Can you explain the "v" notch on each piston? I realize the pistons have reliefs for the valves, but wouldn't the notch create a spot for detonation to initiate?

The V notch faces forward, just marks the front of each piston.

jbrown1238

Established Member
^ the V notch is a way to identify how the pistons are assembled into a block..ie right and left side pistons...very detail oriented build OP don't know why a ranger of all cars to restore or build but if it's what you dig go for it! Keep up the good work!

I decided on the Ranger for a couple reasons. I needed a good work truck, I had one in the past with a V8, and it makes for interesting conversation. Although they are a little more common then when I had the first one built they still seem somewhat unusual.

The Ranger construction is very simple. Being a small pick up with frame on body construction it makes it easy for one person working alone. I could never have been able to frame off a full size car like a 1970 GTO for example in the back yard. With that being said I did have a little trouble moving the frame alone. I moved it from the back up to the street and up on a trailer without any help. Then on to the media blaster and back home. Everyone told me it was about 400 lbs. It sure felt like a lot more than 400 lbs.

Last edited:

jbrown1238

Established Member
I tried to go back and respond to most of the replies. I am sorry if I missed anyone. Other than a few parts photos this should bring the build up to date. Although I have been working on this for about three years the real work didn't get rolling until April 2013. That is when the red 99 was purchased and the parts I collected started coming off the shelf. Most of the first few years was spent collecting knowledge, parts, and a few specialty tools.

I will continue to update the thread as the project moves forward. I just hope it doesn't take another three years. In all honesty the plan is to have it completed during 2014. But there is no real rush and I have a vision for the finished product that I won't let get lost along the way. I promised myself it would be everything the first one was and everything it wasn't.

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
Love this build! I did a similar build on an older car and it really nickeled and dimed me on the small parts - especially the many trips to the dealership. On things like the fuel lines, brake lines, retaining clips and hardware, are they aftermarket or are you using OEM Ford stuff? Just wondering your strategy since it might be helpful for my next build. Good luck and keep up the great work! :beer:

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
This is amazing.

Ever thought about doing work like this on any later model mustangs (1990 and up)? I bet there are a ton of decent 1 owner mustangs that you could get cheap and make them look like this.

the attention to detail is rediculous, great job, keep up the good work!

Last edited:

SCBQQSTN

Established Member
OP should open up his own shop with this much attention to detail as a builder. Very rare to find guys like this except for high end shops like UGR.

Jmccormick

TERMN8D
Established Member
HELL YES.

I said it when I saw your sons Fox build, I said it when you painted your Cobra, and I'll say it again after seeing this.

One day you WILL paint one of my cars. The attention to detail and blocking the doors for a perfect reflection at the door seams is the best part of it all.

I CANNOT wait until you post pics of the paint after wet sand and buffing. Please post the business car trick again. those really show how level you get your paint!

LEAVNYA

"TOXIC"
Established Member
Wow! :bowdown: Your work speaks for itself bro. The way you documented your work makes me feel like I was there with you along the way, beer in hand. :beer: Hat's off to you for that.

Thanks for sharing this awesome build and please keep us up to date as you continue.

smitty2919

Established Member
I hope you never plan on selling it because you will never make back the time and money you put into this! LOL

Awesome job. More patience that I care to have.

HandBanana

Established Member
Stoked to see the next update on the progress. Incredible attention to detail and I am shocked that this is your first engine build. Must be a rewarding feeling driving a vehicle that's powered by something that you built with your own two hands.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
I just wasted about 45 minutes here at work going through this thread from start to finish, well done sir!

Will be anxiously awaiting updates throughout the upcoming year.

Users who are viewing this thread