Life after the "Terminator"

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
Hello guys, first post. I was linked to this feed from another forum. Just joined up to say... wow! Awesome job on the truck. I am sure it is satisfying to look at it and know that you did it all yourself. I'll bet that thing has no problem at all with that uhaul does it? I daily a 4 cyl ranger, and while it has always come through when needed, it is not much for towing.

Anyway, thanks for the awesome thread, enjoy that truck!

Thank you very much! It feels cool that your first post here was on this thread. No problem pulling the UHaul trailers, although I just purchased my own enclosed trailer to match the truck and it pulls much better. The entire time I was building this V8 Ranger I used a 1998 4 cylinder Ranger to pull the trailers. I admit it struggled at times but always amazed me how it pulled those things all over Florida and wouldn't quit!

jbrown1238

Established Member

Gongshow

Dirty Slut
Established Member
I just spent hours reading the entire build.

I really like Rangers and was looking up swaps and found your build. Nice to see someone finish something. Also learned a lot from what you have posted. Thanks for sharing and hope you enjoy the truck for years to come. It's hard to find a better looking truck with the 11+ front end and tail lights.

After 100s of hours the least you could do is throw a 150 shot at the truck. You know, to do it justice. :burnout:

jbrown1238

Established Member
I just spent hours reading the entire build.

I really like Rangers and was looking up swaps and found your build. Nice to see someone finish something. Also learned a lot from what you have posted. Thanks for sharing and hope you enjoy the truck for years to come. It's hard to find a better looking truck with the 11+ front end and tail lights.

After 100s of hours the least you could do is throw a 150 shot at the truck. You know, to do it justice. :burnout:

Thank you for taking the time to read through the entire thread. I know after a couple years it has gotten a little long winded. I really am enjoying it every single day! I am quickly approaching 50,000 miles and still can't believe how well it runs. The mild build combination worked well for my purpose, it is easy to drive for extended periods, behaves well in all types of traffic, yet still has remarkable power for what it is. But then again, like you said, 150 shot never hurt anyone!

jbrown1238

Established Member
I have been working on a few small projects while I prepare the truck for the NMRA car show that is coming up soon in Bradenton. I was trying to wait until I hit 50,000 miles but decided to post an update a couple weeks early as things are going to get busy here soon. The truck will roll over 47,000 miles in a couple days. No mechanical issues since our last visit, everything is holding up well and still performing as expected.

One of the projects I just finished is the modified Passenger side Air Bag switch cover. The cover stuck out in front of my gauge pod and created an obstruction right in the sight line of the oil pressure gauge.

DSC00181_zpsg75qkm1q.jpg

I decided to cut the protruding section out of the removable switch cover and replace it with a flat panel.

DSC00187_zpsi5i6sbsy.jpg

DSC00192_zpswumwrh9z.jpg

I picked up a used glove box door from a salvage Ranger. This panel had the same contour as the switch cover. After matching up the two pieces I outlined a section to cut as a replacement panel for the switch cover.

DSC00209_zpsszitabct.jpg

DSC00212_zpsf3auyjb8.jpg

After a little work with the file the two pieces were fit together.

DSC00218_zpsqiggc7n4.jpg

Then some adhesive and a little plastic filler was used to help conceal the seams.

DSC00224_zpsvit1ww8z.jpg

I refrigerated some modeling clay that had been pressed on to the glove box door to “borrow” the texture of the panel. After being refrigerated for a short time the modeling clay was used as a “rubber stamp” in the fresh paint to help hide the seams a little more.

DSC00235_zpslr5okk1z.jpg

Once the paint had dried the new panel was snapped into place. Now the oil pressure gauge can be seen from the driver’s seated position and the hole in the dash is covered with an OE style trim panel.

DSC00252_zpsb2pzdb9q.jpg

I am also in the process of switching out all the exterior lights for LEDS to try and give the truck a more modern look. The Head Lights and Fog Lights were easy and didn’t really require any modification. However the tail lights, brake lights, and turn signals will require a little bit of custom wiring in order to work properly.

IMG_1862_zpsz1cqd2gh.jpg

I also decided that the U-Haul trailer situation had to change. Although the U-Haul program worked very well for the past few years I really wanted a matching trailer for the truck and one that was more reliable over long distance.

IMG_1863_zpsgecwc4tv.jpg

IMG_1867_zps0vg0jsye.jpg

IMG_1870_zpskpbzpmvn.jpg

IMG_1871_zpscl2khxsh.jpg

Looking forward to seeing a few of you in Bradenton in two weeks at the NMRA Spring Break Shootout!

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That trim panel is ingenious. Nice work, and great technique used to create it.

jbrown1238

Established Member
That is a genius move copying the texture like that. I'll have to keep that one in mind.

Silly Putty works better then modeling clay but I was a little lazy and just placed what I had in the refrigerator for a little more support. It took some practice in the wet paint but came out half way decent in the end.

jbrown1238

Established Member
That trim panel is ingenious. Nice work, and great technique used to create it.

Thanks Bob, I ended up just leaving the passenger side airbag turned on and tucking the actual switch without the cover up in the dash out of sight. I never turned it on and off anyway.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So how much do you drive it Jeff? You've put so much time and sweat into it, and it's such a special truck, I'd be afraid to take it out. LOL. But it was definitely meant to be driven. Just curious if you drive in near daily or just occasionally now that everything is pretty much complete.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Has anyone stopped you and had to do a double take when they realize how nice the and unique the truck is?

jbrown1238

Established Member
So how much do you drive it Jeff? You've put so much time and sweat into it, and it's such a special truck, I'd be afraid to take it out. LOL. But it was definitely meant to be driven. Just curious if you drive in near daily or just occasionally now that everything is pretty much complete.

I drive it every single day. Most days for work but also on my days off. So much that at times I just want to get away from it. It is very rare that it sits a full day without being driven.

jbrown1238

Established Member
Has anyone stopped you and had to do a double take when they realize how nice the and unique the truck is?

I get questioned three or four times a week. Sometimes it is just a quick, "hey, roll your window down", other times I get asked to pull over and talk. Depending on the level of interest, how much time I have at the moment, and how safe it feels, I will try to engage as much as possible. It is hard to explain the interest, it seems to come from all demographics. Most people deep down know that Ford didn't offer the Ranger with a V8 but they always second guess themselves. I had a box of cards printed up for the gearheads who want crazy details about the technical side. I figure they can find most of the info in this thread.

image_zps4amii7e6.jpg

Last edited:

jbrown1238

Established Member
Ha Ha! That's genius!

I'm glad to see you enjoying it.

I would be lying if I said I don't love it! But part of me will always miss that 03 Coupe. Every time I step down hard on the go pedal I think to myself, "this is about where the boost should come on!" If this wasn't a work truck and just a weekend toy I would go ahead and reconfigure the front drive accessories to accept the 93 Mustang S-Trim set up.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I would be lying if I said I don't love it! But part of me will always miss that 03 Coupe. Every time I step down hard on the go pedal I think to myself, "this is about where the boost should come on!" If this wasn't a work truck and just a weekend toy I would go ahead and reconfigure the front drive accessories to accept the 93 Mustang S-Trim set up.

Build another one :D

jbrown1238

Established Member
Last edited:

Gibs07GTcpe

Established Member
well I just spent hours of my life going through this thread! I want to buy a Ranger now.... What amazing work you did. Absolutely incredible. I think you need to open a classic restoration business. Anyway, what a great truck. Just as a not I got 57K on my 2007 Mustang GT that I have owned since it had 3 miles on it, you have me beat since last summer for mileage.

I am sending a link to this thread to my Ranger friend.

Kornnut

Established Member
This thread made me bring my level of attention of detail up when working on my car. I don't know if I can get to your level but I will try.

Users who are viewing this thread