Lets talk mod priority....

fatal01SVT

Established Member
So, like many, im at the point where i cant live with the need for more power anymore. Time to start building my 03 up.:rockon: I already have CAI, O/R x, Catback, HR race springs and some other goodies like an MGW with a mcleod rst. my question to you guys is where would you go from here? port/pulley? skip the port and go straight to a TVS? chassis stuff first? just looking for opinions on where to start.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
pulley is a no brainer where you are at right now

but if you have the scratch, go straight to a big blower and skip the port

enjoy!

D-MANN

Established Member
What is your budget? I say skip the blower and get a Hellion single right from the get go. You can always upgrade the turbo later but the base kit makes good power.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I would start off with sub-frame connectors if you don't already have them.

that should have been the very first mod to the car

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
what you should really do is think LONG term and decide what you want out of the car. If you are itching for more power, do an upper w tune for now then:

1. Subframe connectors
2. FTBR bushing upgrade
3. GOOD tires

jpk

Established Member
Yeah, subframe connectors. I mean, that needs to be a sticky note at the top of the forum at this point. We've been saying that about modding Mustangs for like 20 or so more years. The chassis is crap and going fast isn't very fun when the car is shaking and flexing. Cruising is better too when the suspension is working instead of the frame.

Next for these cars is addressing the independent rear suspension. Adding more power when the wheels just hop even more isn't good either.

fatal01SVT

Established Member
so the general consensus is:
1. pulley/tune + idlers
2. subframes + irs beef up
3. get rid of the eaton

Im kinda torn about what to replace the stock blower with though... VMP, Kenne Bell, whipple, or turbo. why does everyone seem to go turbo eventually?
And of course theres gonna be the guy in this thread that preaches that the TVS is the blower of jesus lol but turbo guys, why did you switch?

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
+++ On upgrading the IRS . I am at the 500whp mark with a ported eaton and I just did the ftbr bushings , deluxe bumpsteer, sway bar end links, ford racing diff cover and a true trac diff . Its amazing the difference it made . The car launches smooth and straight with no hop , planting all the power to the pavement . I don't understand guys who throw on the big blowers with a stock IRS . What good is all that power if you can't put it down .

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
The order I went fwiw. My car isn't DD and I added power first, than worked on my suspension. I didn't have any problems, nor did I ever break anything, but it sure didn't hook as well as it could have had I don't the suspension first. Skip porting the Eaton

Purchased car had ported Eaton and BAP

Tune, added JLT Ram CAI, O/R X-pipe, CC Plates, Subframe Connectors, Brakes (this lasted me exactly a year, than got bored)

Added Aftermarket blower /// TVS :eek:)
New Clutch/Input Shaft/Flywheel
Return Fuel System/Ijectors
Aftermarket Idlers
New Catback
Retune

Three Years Later~~

Full FTBR Kit
New Struts and Shocks
New 3" Bassani Catback

Last edited:

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
I agree with everyone.. When you get to the point where you are deciding if you want to port or get a bigger blower, just save yourself the time and money and buy a TVS.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
If you're going to increase the go power, you might consider investing in some stopping power. Big brakes and good tires will give you peace of mind. I'm in the 500 hp/tq neighborhood and wasn't impressed with the stock brakes. I went with the Baer 6P setup with the two piece rotors front and rear. The difference is amazing.

stangfreak

Established Member
Im going old school here. when the terminator came out, the first three mods we did was cold air, catback, pulley right off the bat no waiting. so I would do a pulley for now. Your missing out man. Its a totally different car. cheap as well.

vrt03cobra

Drive it Like U STOLE IT
Established Member
I would get subframe connecters next, then a bigger blower. Unless you can find a really good deal on a ported blower, I would go straight to a TVS,whipple, or KB.

mfrazier2

Engineers lead the way!
Established Member
so the general consensus is:
1. pulley/tune + idlers
2. subframes + irs beef up
3. get rid of the eaton

Im kinda torn about what to replace the stock blower with though... VMP, Kenne Bell, whipple, or turbo. why does everyone seem to go turbo eventually?
And of course theres gonna be the guy in this thread that preaches that the TVS is the blower of jesus lol but turbo guys, why did you switch?

I feel like a turbo on terminators is kind of sacrilegious. That's kind of these cars trademark, yeah turbos are cool, you can maybe get more power out of a turbo and it may be a bit more efficient but, you might as well strap a jet engine on it because those put out power too. On these particular cars i would definitely stick with a supercharger. Just my opinion though.

RI-SVT

TVS Powered
Established Member
what you should really do is think LONG term and decide what you want out of the car.

1. Subframe connectors
2. FTBR bushing upgrade
3. GOOD tires

Agree, I have the above already she rides good, been buying supporting mods as budget allows, im going straight TS 2.3

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
I bought my car stock 3 years ago in june of 2012 and in spring of 2013 I did a pulley. Over this past winter I did a return fuel set up and a port on e85. Also during the port work I did the irs bushings and lowered the car. Now if I were to do it all again I would do driveability mods first.

My vote is

Springs, MGW, Subframe connectors, and bushings. Might as well throw the pulley in there too. I would do all this first before power if doing it over again.

Then you need to decide what you long term. I am entertaining the thought of a tvs, but for now I decided to do a pulley. I havent tracked my car yet, and sure 700 rwhp is cool, but how practical is it on the street? My port set up now hooks up really well, but I dont see 700hp being too fun on the street. But then again Ive never been in a 700hp cobra so maybe Im wrong. Something about having to race everyone from 50 mph rolls just took hook up doesnt sound fun. But I live in a small area and most of the time the cars that want to race me arent even a challenge, so getting them to do a 50 roll is probably out of the question. Thats the only reason I am not sure if I want to go bigger someday, how practical is it on the street?

fatal01SVT

Established Member
a hundred horsepower from a pulley/tune? sign me up!!:rockon:what upper would you recommend? is there really that significant of a heat difference between a 2.76 and a 2.93? also i should replace all four idlers right?

Users who are viewing this thread