Let us play, "Name that internal failure!"

Tim03cobra

Established Member
It could have popped a piston or two from going too lean. I had a GTP do that and it sounded like a rod knocking. The mechanic pulled the heads and oil pan and just replaced 2 pistons and the car was like new. That could explain why you have low compression on two cylinders. Good luck. Tim

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
Running any high hp car for any amount of time with audible pinging will certainly kill it, no matter how "built" it is. If it originally sounded like a can of marbles at WOT, then Coleman, hate to tell you, but you killed your own engine. If it didn't sound just like that (a can of marbles), the broken piece may have been in the process of dying.

Regardless, I've had my TT car let loose after pinging for about 4 seconds....It really doesn't take any amount of time, and by the time you have heard it, it is to late.

coleman

Established Member
well if it's too late by the time i heard it, then all i did is make a bad situation worse.

now, i don't know what caused the original pinging!

what causes a car to ping? timing? bad gas? too much boost?
how do i know what it was so i don't do it again?

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by Tim03cobra
It could have popped a piston or two from going too lean. I had a GTP do that and it sounded like a rod knocking. The mechanic pulled the heads and oil pan and just replaced 2 pistons and the car was like new. That could explain why you have low compression on two cylinders. Good luck. Tim
I had low compression on two cylinders and two pistons were broken around the edges. However, upon pulling the rest of them last night, they are all burnt. Not a big deal since I was replacing them all anyway, but it would have been a big deal for someone who was hoping to replace two.
Still gets me that there was no audible detonation. :shrug:

coleman

Established Member
my shop wants to charge me too much $$$ to remove the oil pan, so i'm going to tear it down myself ... time to order some tools!

coleman

Established Member
racerat, fuel system run lean? ... wouldn't that be the likely suspect?
:idea: maybe i need to buy another '03 cobra as a daily driver.
"somebody stop me!"

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by coleman
racerat, fuel system run lean? ... wouldn't that be the likely suspect?
:idea: maybe i need to buy another '03 cobra as a daily driver.
"somebody stop me!"
I think the fuel system couldn't keep up under the conditions...we'll never know what happened for sure. :(
As for the other car...thank God those new CO 04's aren't out yet. ;-)

maoun

Established Member
so, stupid question here, but cars are more likely to ping in heat rather than cold, rite?

SVTBlackBolt

SVT POISONED
Established Member
No they will ping in the cold weather...car will run lean...unbalanced A/F and boom she goes...so if you're running say 12.x A/F and its really cold outside...theirs a fat chance you will be running to lean...Thats why tuners have cold/hot weather programs and what not...I also have a Lightning so the same thing is happening with them as well...check a Lightning site..during the colder weather the ones that are on the edge will give....its not whether its a Kb or not...it can happen to my Eaton Lightning just as easy as it can happen to my KB cobra...thats why you usually want a safer A/F....to compensate...

MJ32V

Established Member
After rebuild, get AF meter w/logging capabilities to check for lean AF.

MJ

coleman

Established Member
i just got my LS1 wbO2 sensor. it'll be going in as soon as i finish the shortblock swap as well as some other gauges for insurance.

now my question is: what other gauges do i need?

wbO2 - covered
fuel pressure - right?
oil pressure
temperature gauge(s) - exhaust, oil, water, what?

and then where to arrange them in my (soon to be) cockpit!?

coleman

Established Member
ok, something has been bothering me...
just before the engine failed i noticed that a rubber hose was disconnected on the right side of the KB.
it was obvious & i don't know how long it had been like that.
i didn't even attempt to trace the hose back cuz i have no idea what each piece under there does, but what if that was the root of all evil?

what if that fed the FRPS (fuel rail pressure sensor) sending unit & hence didn't compensate for manifold pressure?!? then i'd have run lean very quickly!!!

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
Originally posted by coleman
ok, something has been bothering me...
just before the engine failed i noticed that a rubber hose was disconnected on the right side of the KB.
it was obvious & i don't know how long it had been like that.
i didn't even attempt to trace the hose back cuz i have no idea what each piece under there does, but what if that was the root of all evil?

Could have been a vacuum line to anything. Unplugged vacuum lines WILL cause you to run lean.

Lean = Detonation (pre-ignition) = Boom Bitch!

coleman

Established Member
yes, thank you. i already know that.
problem is that the line either came apart by itself (like under some pressure and maybe not a true vacuum line) or one of the shops that i took my car to didn't re-connect it.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Where does the line come from? Does it come from the brass barb that has a line that hooks up to the fuel pressure transducer?

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Here is a pic of what I think you are talking about.

There is a hose that runs from the brass barb to the fuel pressure transducer and boost modulating valve. If you had that come loose and you were under boost, that would make you go lean. That sensor helps the FRP sensor keep 39psi of fuel rail pressure. If you were running 15psi of boost and that came off your ecc wouldn't be able to raise the fuel pressure to offset the boost generated by the blower.

fastozzy

Whalenstein
Established Member
My nice new 2000 mile car was haled in to dealer today, no modifications, on track time, and only running 45 miles per hour when it evedently let go. It's been checked only fireing on 3 cyclinders. Codes show at some time excessive boost bullcrap, heck I told service manager that I drove my f-150 harder than I have this car at this point. Two weeks old and on the tear down table--I'M SICK!!!

Users who are viewing this thread