Lawn Mower Thread

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Looking for suggestions on a push, self propelled, or riding lawn mower. I have about a 1/3 acre lot with a 2k sq foot home. Not a ton of grass up front but a ****ton in the back yard. Trying to grasscycle so mulching capability is also a big requirement as well. Considering a plug in or cordless electric so i'm not doing the carb dance every year.. but i'm not exactly won over by them just yet.

Any suggestions?

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
I just bought a Husqvarna 46" deck riding mower for my new house. Little over 1/2 acre with about the same size house. I got the bagger since I have dogs and don't want them dragging grass into my house on their paws, but they sell mulching kits for them as well. They aren't very expensive either, like $60. Not sure what your budget for a mower is though. Definitely cheaper (more back breaking) options out there.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
Looking for suggestions on a push, self propelled, or riding lawn mower. I have about a 1/3 acre lot with a 2k sq foot home. Not a ton of grass up front but a ****ton in the back yard. Trying to grasscycle so mulching capability is also a big requirement as well. Considering a plug in or cordless electric so i'm not doing the carb dance every year.. but i'm not exactly won over by them just yet.

Any suggestions?

I've had a Honda Powered Troy built I bought from Lowes about 10 years ago that is self propelled and what not have you that has been SOLID. Still starts 1st pull every time. I think I gave around $300 for it. That would be my recommendation. All I've ever done is change the blade and oil a few times and that's about it. Would buy another one hands down tomorrow if I had too.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Right now I pay to have my yard done. I love a nice yard, I ****ing hate yard work

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
I have a Craftsman self-propelled bagger with a Honda motor. Sharpen the blade, change the oil and go. If you are concerned about the carb, this one has a fuel shut off valve. Let the mower run to burn the rest of the fuel and you should be fine. Or run the tank empty at the end of the season. I also occasionally put some fuel supplement/carb cleaner through it during the season.

nickf2005

Established Member
I've had a Honda Powered Troy built I bought from Lowes about 10 years ago that is self propelled and what not have you that has been SOLID. Still starts 1st pull every time. I think I gave around $300 for it. That would be my recommendation. All I've ever done is change the blade and oil a few times and that's about it. Would buy another one hands down tomorrow if I had too.

I bought the non-propelled version and the Honda motor is bulletproof. I've used it for probably 5-6 years. Haven't put an ounce of oil in it, and it usually starts within 2-3 pulls, even after sitting for 3-4 months during winter. It's now all but decommissioned in favor for a JD X380.

Anything with a Honda or Kohler motor is probably going to make you happy for a while. With less than 1/3 acre, go push/propelled. I wouldn't waste the money on a rider. That much easier to store as well.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
I have a Tecumseh powered Toro that I've had for a while. If I push the prime button and hold it for a second three or four times it will start on the first pull even after sitting up for a few months. I haven't had any issues with it yet. My next one will be Honda powered.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
This is the exact mower I have and this is where I bought it from (no taxes and free shipping FTW!!!) https://www.mowersdirect.com/Honda-HRX217VKA-Lawn-Mower/p7830.html

I've only mowed about 5 times with it and it's a mulching monster! Took a few mows before I got used to the thumb drive and now it's not bad. My wife actually mowed our back yard with it and loves it. Originally had an older Toro that did a great job, but I was tired of mowing twice and having to bag if the yard got out of hand.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I went on a whim and got an electric one.

No complaints almost 3 years owning it. Yard size is a tad smaller than yours, but the batteries still have enough juice for a bigger yard.

It's the kobalt one from Lowes.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I went on a whim and got an electric one.

No complaints almost 3 years owning it. Yard size is a tad smaller than yours, but the batteries still have enough juice for a bigger yard.

It's the kobalt one from Lowes.

I think i'm going to do the 13 amp corded one. My yard is fortunately split so while it's largish, a 100 foot cord should do it.

I don't want the battery version because battery designs go obsolete so frequently now that I'm considered about the longevity there. At least with a cord that would never go obsolete.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
you will likely regret buying a corded one. when I was a kid my dad bought an electric one ... pain in the ass if your yard is even moderately big ..

I think i'm going to do the 13 amp corded one. My yard is fortunately split so while it's largish, a 100 foot cord should do it.

I don't want the battery version because battery designs go obsolete so frequently now that I'm considered about the longevity there. At least with a cord that would never go obsolete.

smitty2919

Established Member
Hello no to a corded mower...MAYBE a battery powered one.

Riding/push mower depends on your yard and obstacles. But I would go push (or self propelled) for a 1/3 acre. I have 1/2 acre (with one tree to go around) basically all back yard and it took me 2 hours with a self propelled...Now I have an older craftsman 23hp riding mower 36" deck and I pound out the yard in no time.

Search Craigslist. Buying a new self propelled walk behind mower for $300-400 is NUTS to me. I bought my used rider for $300. I bet you can find a slightly used one for half the price.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
The only lawnmower I like these days...

st-arnold.jpg

2000gt4.6

Established Member
This is the exact mower I have and this is where I bought it from (no taxes and free shipping FTW!!!) https://www.mowersdirect.com/Honda-HRX217VKA-Lawn-Mower/p7830.html

I've only mowed about 5 times with it and it's a mulching monster! Took a few mows before I got used to the thumb drive and now it's not bad. My wife actually mowed our back yard with it and loves it. Originally had an older Toro that did a great job, but I was tired of mowing twice and having to bag if the yard got out of hand.

I have a 217 as well. Great mower and with the double blade setup it vaporizes clippings where you don't even see them.

I did have mine clog the idle jets in the carb, wouldn't idle for crap, but some carb cleaner fixed it up

Too bad OP is so far away, I'd sell it for say 350. Mine was nearly 700 new. At the new place I have a zero turn so I don't use it any more.

03cobra 87GN

Established Member
I had a 1/3 acre at my old house and used an older lawnboy 2 stroke with an aluminium deck. Paid 100 for it on Craigslist. But it was probably a good 500 dollar mower in early 00's. Cant go wrong with an older 2 stroke lawn boy imo. No need oil changes and it starts on first pull. With deck never have to worry about rust and its light as hell.

My father has a lawn boy he bought new in 70s and uses it to cut grass at his beach house still starts right up and his even has a magnesium deck.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

verbal

Established Member
I have had a Toro self propelled mower for about 6 years now. It is very low maintenance and it starts on the first pull every time. I mow .5 acres with it. My Toro string trimmer is great too.

A corded mower sounds like the biggest pain in the ass. I went to a corded leaf blower and am dragging extension cords everywhere. The cord is constantly getting caught on something.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I have a Toro Personal Pace Recycler. I've had it for about 4 years now and it's been great. 1 pull starts, variable speed based on your walking pace, rear drive which is better if you've got hilly terrain. It bags, mulches and throws, whichever your desire. They have different models with different engines, but mine has a B&S rated at 7.25 ft lbs. Plenty of power for thick grass.

I have about 5000 sq feet of grass, so not a lot. Certainly not anywhere near enough to entertain a riding mower. At a 1/3 acre with a house on it, you could be 11000-12000 sq feet of grass depending on your house's footprint. If you have rounded edging and not too many obstacles, a quality riding mower will probably cut down your mowing times by a decent bit.

If I'm mulching and haven't let my yard grow too long between trims, It takes me and my 23" mower about 35 minutes to mow. 45 or so minutes if I'm bagging, then add trimming time as well.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I got a killer deal on an actual Cub Cadet (not a big box store version) riding mower on CL in the spring. It's awesome, and far better quality than the big box store versions.

Users who are viewing this thread