LACR for Randy's B-Day 9/12

BALDSNAKE

Stop the Car Tax
Established Member
Question from an old fart who gets his kicks from WOT in the 60 to 150mph arena. How many 1/4 mi passes are you guys getting before the TOB goes south? Have you heard of any TOB problems with sensible daily driving and a few freaked out open track days thrown in here and there? I do have to come watch you peel off rubber one of these days. Sounds like fun.

stang99

I went at least 26000 miles before I got the TOB illness, and, I believe that was due to the stock clutch adjuster not keeping the clutch adjusted. To protect the innocent, I'll just say that my car made quite a few hard runs with the number of shifts that one would make in the 1/4, but, since it is a daily driver, and since I got 28000 miles on the original F1's, I do not think that I was extra hard on the car. I never speed shift, for instance. The TOB thing has me puzzled since I am going to have to put in my 3rd replacement in 2000 miles to see if I can stop the bleeding. The latest Spec composit TOB apparently failed immediately, or was delivered failed. Something is not right somewhere, but two separate expert Ford mechanics have pronounced everything to be in as new condition. My guess is that each person's experience will vary, especially if there is some as yet undiscovered root cause that may or may not be on every Cobra causing the TOB failures.
Come on out to LACR, but be warned, running the Cobra flat out down the 1/4 can be very addicting. The car pulls with a mightly big rush after it gets traction and speeds in excess of 110 mph in the 1/4 can be habit inducing. Plus, there is no risk of a ticket at all.

FuShnickens

Get It On!
Established Member
Originally posted by Tetge
Actually, I am still looking for another 03 Cobra that I can beat.

sorry to hear about the tob problems. that really really sucks. :( anyway, i'm sure you can beat me. i'm not supposed to go under 13.99 and i can't drive. ;-)

edit - i realize that you already have the spec, is there a chance that the failures may be a bad lot? if so, maybe a call in to spec may be able to cover some labor costs? who knows?

Last edited:

stang99

I have been in contact with Spec several times and they are convinced that their composit TOB is a great product. No problems with their stuff that they will acknowledge so the problem must be on my end. Also, my mechanic blames my parts not anything that he may have done. No warranty on racing parts and certainly no labor reimburshment ever. Mod at your own risk is the rule.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Randy, Make sure u dont race with ur work cloths :eek:

Bring spare clothing, cause a 13sec run inside a car will be hot. Plus u dont want to scuff up the shoes either :nonono:

:thumbsup: 2 days left :D

Juan tell me what time ur getting off of work bro. :shrug:

stang99

You have to wear proper shoes and long pants (no shorts allowed) so it is usually hot if you are wearing a helmet when you are in the staging lanes in the summer. Black cars are the hottest and white cars the coolest.

jonas

Established Member
You have to wear proper shoes and long pants (no shorts allowed) so it is usually hot if you are wearing a helmet when you are in the staging lanes in the summer. Black cars are the hottest and white cars the coolest.

AND SONIC BLUE IS THE FASTEST!!

stang99

It is getting cooler every day but it was forecast to be 98 today and Friday in Palmdale and it takes awhile to cool off. In the morning now, it is nice and cool. Hope that the wind is not blowing hard on Friday since that kills the trap speeds too.

Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
& SILVER IS THE BEST COLOR :p

:beer:

Hey P. Isnt the weather by ur house really cool at night right now?

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Some colors may look better than white in some people's opinions, but, white is definitely the fastest color.

:lol: Yeah George. He is beating u & Juan :p

Does any one know if the Mcleod is a very good clutch? Might have the chance to upgrade to it???????

03DOHC

Established Member
It is getting cooler every day but it was forecast to be 98 today and Friday in Palmdale and it takes awhile to cool off. In the morning now, it is nice and cool. Hope that the wind is not blowing hard on Friday since that kills the trap speeds too.
What time does the track open? Will it be cooler by the time you guys run?

rmoreau

Established Member
heh-heh, ya, that would look pretty funny. Wingtips, suit, shirt, tie, and race helmet. a true "gentleman racer".

Tetge: you can beat me. My first time out so I'm sure I'll be slow.

Randy

stang99

TThe track opens at 5 and racing begins about 5:30 until 10. It will be cooler after the sun goes down but it is forecast to be 98. It is cool for the desert right now in Palmdale, but it is still 85 or so out. If the wind is not blowing too hard, it will be slippery but OK.

Originally posted by 03DOHC
What time does the track open? Will it be cooler by the time you guys run?

stang99

Sorry, there are no gentlemen racers in Palmdale. It's a dog eat dog world at the drag strip. It is difficult to lay down amazing numbers the first times that you run the 03 unless you are devinely blessed, but, I fear Juan, for instance and FiveOhDean owns me. I'd love to beat any of them by any means possible. Gentlemen finish last!

Originally posted by rmoreau
heh-heh, ya, that would look pretty funny. Wingtips, suit, shirt, tie, and race helmet. a true "gentleman racer".

Tetge: you can beat me. My first time out so I'm sure I'll be slow.

Randy

03DOHC

Established Member
BTW: It is a proven fact that white is faster than Sonic Blue. The Sonic Blue cars are much heavier than thw white cars due to all the wax on them.
hehe. If I can't go fast at least it'll look nice.:-D

stang99

I got $20 worth of Trick 101 octane racing unleaded this morning at Desoto and Vanowen next to the fire station for $4.25 a gallon. Not that I needed it but I thought I heard some detonation on the freeway coming in. Better safe than sorry. I reckon that I am up to about 94.4 octane on this tank now.

Users who are viewing this thread