Kooks vs. JBA LT's??

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
I just bought JBA Titanium coated #jba6685sjt ...I got em for a STEAL!!! Brand New in the box! ~ $400.00 SHIPPED! I will be adding #jba6685sx as my mid pipe finished of with my MagnaFlow... although, I may change it out to Roush ;)

ticks

Established Member
Thank you for the great input Shaun. I have a set of Kooks shortys with Jegs cat delete pipes being ceramic coated right now, will be in touch by the end of February to schedule/order a tune. Congrats on the great press you received in MMFF last month!

momogt

Established Member
Yes. Very similar gains to JBA Longtubes actually. Lots of low-end increase (20+) and under 10HP up top. The Shorties don't fit as good as the long tubes, so we are currently not recommending the shorties till Kooks modifies the design to fit better (if they haven't already).

hi shaun
with the test on the shorty headers did you have to tune those just like the longtubes

Last edited:

Shaun@AED

hi shaun
with the test on the shorty headers did you have to tune those just like the longtubes

Yessir if you want maximum output from the new part.
Anytime you change the VE of the engine VCT should be changed to optimize the results.

Of course this means having a massive database of VCT schedules for given modifications. This means having the same combo on the Dyno (ideally multiple different cars with the same setup) to verify and quantify the VCT changes.

dadoctah

Established Member
Shaun, could you please post "after" graph comparing boss car vs gt. This would be really interesting to know.

Btw, was gt car manual?

Patrick

Shaun@AED

Shaun, could you please post "after" graph comparing boss car vs gt. This would be really interesting to know.

Btw, was gt car manual?

Patrick

M6 GT
I will not be back at the shop till late this week. If I remember, I will post it.

chadder1313

Established Member
Thank you for the great input Shaun. I have a set of Kooks shortys with Jegs cat delete pipes being ceramic coated right now, will be in touch by the end of February to schedule/order a tune. Congrats on the great press you received in MMFF last month!

And where would one get this deal at?

ticks

Established Member
I don't know if I would really call it a "deal", we are talking $1100 by the time they are all done. Most would say that's nuts when you could get longtubes for a hundred bucks less and 10 more hp, but here in Mass I will be making my annual trip for a sticker with the cats in place and a factory tune. A couple hours later I can be back in the saddle!

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
Question: when installing JBA LTH did anyone need to extend the o2 extensions or did it all install with what was there on the car as is? My JBA do not come with the o2 ext. and just wondered if they are needed since I heard someone say they installed a set themselves and did not need em. Thanks Fellas!~

scotmach

Established Member
Question: when installing JBA LTH did anyone need to extend the o2 extensions or did it all install with what was there on the car as is? My JBA do not come with the o2 ext. and just wondered if they are needed since I heard someone say they installed a set themselves and did not need em. Thanks Fellas!~
Your stock harness will reach once you unclip it on top of the transmission. never use extensions.

Fast_5.0

Established Member
How is the fitment?

I bought a $400K home does that mean that I shouldn't shop around for the best priced AC unit? If they are indeed better then I would pay the money but if they are not why spend more.

You paid $400k for your home. You shopped around for the best priced A/C unit. You likely searched for the best priced A/C unit across different manufacturers instead of the same units across different distributors.

I paid $35k for my car. I shopped for Kooks LTs. I noticed some distributors offered the same Kooks LTs for less than others. I order the same LTs from the distributor with the lowest price.

corysmach1

Established Member
You paid $400k for your home. You shopped around for the best priced A/C unit. You likely searched for the best priced A/C unit across different manufacturers instead of the same units across different distributors.

I paid $35k for my car. I shopped for Kooks LTs. I noticed some distributors offered the same Kooks LTs for less than others. I order the same LTs from the distributor with the lowest price.

Any videos of your car? May i ask what you paid for your longtubes and x pipe?

My1stGT

A Camaro Guy Too
Established Member
.[/QUOTE]
Yes. Very similar gains to JBA Longtubes actually. Lots of low-end increase (20+) and under 10HP up top. The Shorties don't fit as good as the long tubes, so we are currently not recommending the shorties till Kooks modifies the design to fit better (if they haven't already).

Shawn would you go into a little more detail on the fitment issues with the Kooks Shorties? I have a set in my garage waiting to be installed and would like to know what I am getting into. I havent seen any other complaints on these.

Thanks

Shaun@AED

Sorry guys, completely forgot about the Dyno graph yesterday when I was on the Dyno.

As for the shorty fitment issues, we had to drill the H-pipe mounting holes in the shorty so the bolts would fit thru them (not a big deal). When the mid-pipe was bolted up to the shorties the pipe hung down a few inches at the rear and slightly off to one side. (Header flange to mid pipe was at the wrong angle) We cut/welded the midpipe to fit.

ticks

Established Member

Shawn would you go into a little more detail on the fitment issues with the Kooks Shorties? I have a set in my garage waiting to be installed and would like to know what I am getting into. I havent seen any other complaints on these.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I just finished installing Kooks Shorties with Jegs cat deletes on jackstands in my garage, they seemed to fit fine. My two cents on the job as follows:

Ratcheting box wrenches are a must, get a 14mm and a 15mm if you don't have a full set.

Air tools, including a 1/4" drive air ratchet with swivel (for the starter) helped a lot.

You only need to remove the lower four studs on each side and replace them with the bolts that came with the kit, I used the factory studs with nuts on the top four, both sides. Probably best to use one of the bolts in place of the top stud third one back on the drivers side as well, but not necessary just easier.

The top O2 sensor on the drivers side was a little tight, everything else looks great for fitment.

The Kooks headers are a piece of artwork, the machining, welding and attention to detail are as advertised. Good compliment to a Borla S type cat back system with x-pipe I already had on the car, bolted right up tight, great fit, no leaks.

momogt

Established Member
thats some nice gain for shorty headers i might get those kooks ss instead of the jba lt i already have the cat delete

Users who are viewing this thread