Kitchen Countertop Advice...Which type?

Equalbracket

Established Member
I'm a plumber and we do new construction and just customs, did over 100 last year, have 42 in various stages right now, all granite. Concrete has not caught on here, must not of been on fixer upper yet.

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
Excellent advice, thank you everyone for your photos and information. We truly appreciate it. I'll post some pictures up once everything is finished.

Blackedout

Established Member
IMG_0698.JPG
Granite here... no complaints.... still need to do the backsplash... we haven't agreed on what to do yet.​

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
Kitchen looks great. I really like the different levels of your cabinets. Excellent job.

Update on the countertops. We went around and got a few more quotes after getting the suggestion from someone in the thread. We found an installer who could do the Cambria Britannica for $90 per SF, so we are going with Cambria quartz. Cabinets get delivered tomorrow. Thank you to everyone who gave input.

coposrv

Established Member
I'll throw a curve ball in here, I wasn't allowed to take pictures but I did a kitchen remodel in the back bay of Boston and they used butcher block on the counter tops in the butlers pantry. The counter tops looks incredible. The budget for the first floor remodel was a few million.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I'll throw a curve ball in here, I wasn't allowed to take pictures but I did a kitchen remodel in the back bay of Boston and they used butcher block on the counter tops in the butlers pantry. The counter tops looks incredible. The budget for the first floor remodel was a few million.

A few million. Lol

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I was out over the weekend and we did some looking around, the most expensive Quartz we found was 74 bucks a square ft. I may wind up replacing my granite counter with quartz and leave the black granite backsplash alone

JZNYCRealEstate

Established Member
Hey Blackedout,

If you just swap those pendants to something more modern, it'll change the whole look of your kitchen. :)

All four of these are available at Lowes and range between $50-150, and would make a huge difference.

785247170234.jpg
848507003625.jpg
828796010948.jpg
811874020946.jpg

Stanger00

Established Member
Hey Blackedout,

If you just swap those pendants to something more modern, it'll change the whole look of your kitchen. :)

All four of these are available at Lowes and range between $50-150, and would make a huge difference.
]

Can't wait to change the pendants in my home. Still have 6 ceiling fans to buy and chandelier and the list goes on, haha.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
...and the list goes on, haha.

You got that right! We've been doing a slow renovation of our house for the past couple of years! It would be faster, but we're doing 99% of the work ourselves. We started in the kitchen. We're just now nearing the end of remodeling a bathroom. Pretty much stripped it down to the studs and sub-floor and started over. And silly me for thinking the plumbing would just line right up with all the new stuff... Thankfully(?), I grew up in a house that frequently had plumbing issues, so it was no big deal for me to reroute/extend stuff. I'm going to install crown molding, and we're waiting for a glass shower door to be cut and installed. I probably should put that molding up before the door goes on.

Three more bathrooms to go. We're moving to the master bath next. The upstairs baths are going to be bears. We're taking down a wall, relocating a tub and toilet, building a half wall, and probably rerouting some electrical. Oh, joy!

Zedeater

Good from far
Established Member
Kitchen looks great. I really like the different levels of your cabinets. Excellent job.

Update on the countertops. We went around and got a few more quotes after getting the suggestion from someone in the thread. We found an installer who could do the Cambria Britannica for $90 per SF, so we are going with Cambria quartz. Cabinets get delivered tomorrow. Thank you to everyone who gave input.

Great choice, we have that on display in the showroom & it has been very well received!

IMG_1612.JPG

allister

Established Member
Late to the party but I was going to suggest going with Quartz and shopping around for a better price since basically every countertop place will carry Cambria. So glad you got it for a better price!!

We got granite in our old house and while I loved the character, I did not love the staining and minor imperfections. It still stained even though it was sealed and it was a constant worry to make sure coffee and other things were wiped off. I had to use special cleaner on it, not my everyday go to smell good cleaner. It was nice but just wasn't for us. Our new house has laminate which is sadly a relief from the granite and once we redo the kitchen here I plan on going with either Quartz or concrete.

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
Cabinets are in. Countertops are sitting at the yard waiting to be installed next week. Can't wait to finally have a kitchen again!

20170620_193205.jpg
20170620_193147.jpg
20170620_193226.jpg
20170622_081837.jpg

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I need to take a picture of my parent's kitchen. Y'all would be green with envy.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
I spent a number of years in the manufacturing end of the marble/granite industry. Stay away from marble for counter tops,it's porous. Shades of black granite will be pretty consistent in color,but others will vary as the slabs are cut from huge blocks and the veins of color run through them. Quartz wasn't popular when I was in the business,but I like its look and have heard it's as durable as granite

This. Marble is porous and soft.

We went with man-made Quartz - it is mixed with a resin so it is 100% solid. Natural granite and Quartz are not, as they contain some air which gives germs and bacteria a place to grow.

Users who are viewing this thread