Kitchen Countertop Advice...Which type?

CLN 6R

Established Member
We did Granite when we had our house built because the builder was running 50% certain options, and it would have been cheaper to do it now than later, so we figured what the hell. If it were up to me I would have gone with something lighter, but of course it wasn't up to me (ha) but the flake in the Granite is really cool. Her Dad does tile-work for a living and did our glass tile backsplash which ties it all together.

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
We've been really looking into Cambria Summerhill. Its under our budget, $90 per SF and we like that its irregular, like granite. I'm glad to hear all these good things about Cambria. Maybe we will look at other places and get quotes on Britannica. I was worried it was not worth the money, but everyone keeps having positive reviews of their quartz.

We looked at a bunch of pieces of granite online, and nothing really screams out to us.

You have to go look at granite in person. Not all lots are the same. The granite we have now was not even a consideration because every slab we saw had such a plain pattern. Then we happened across a couple slabs of it that we fell in love with. We were in the market for marble, but everything we like is ridiculously expensive.

JZNYCRealEstate

Established Member
Real estate broker here!

First I will say I'm just not really a fan of dark cabinets, so the ones you described probably wouldn't suit my personal taste (white shaker with carerra or Calcutta marble is more my style).

But in this choice I would spend the extra money and go with Quartz. Granite is a little outdated and buyers are starting to recognize it more as a cheaper alternate to marble or quartz, in ways they didn't in years past. Even some of my landlords in the city are starting to put quartz in their mid level rentals just because it looks and feels higher end, and ultimately helps their property values. Real estate is an investment, look at it from that standpoint, and in my opinion, quartz will get you a better ROI should you ever decide to sell the house than granite would.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
Real estate broker here!

First I will say I'm just not really a fan of dark cabinets, so the ones you described probably wouldn't suit my personal taste (white shaker with carerra or Calcutta marble is more my style).

But in this choice I would spend the extra money and go with Quartz. Granite is a little outdated and buyers are starting to recognize it more as a cheaper alternate to marble or quartz, in ways they didn't in years past. Even some of my landlords in the city are starting to put quartz in their mid level rentals just because it looks and feels higher end, and ultimately helps their property values. Real estate is an investment, look at it from that standpoint, and in my opinion, quartz will get you a better ROI should you ever decide to sell the house than granite would.

my agent said the same thing.. basically, if a property DOESN'T come with at least granite, they deduct from the home. i heard porcelain bathroom counter tops are starting to come back.

personally, i'd do granite with all under mount sinks. keeping up with the Jones's and buying quartz only to have the trends change in another 10 years isn't worth it, IMO. pay for good edge work and don't get something so polarizing and you'll do good.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Real estate broker here!

That's location based. Natural materials never go [all the way] out of style. They certainly won't hurt the value of a home, except in the case of wood framed windows because they are a maintenance nightmare. Quartz is the big fad right now in home renovation, but it probably won't stand the test of time. Remember, this isn't the first go 'round for concrete counter tops. Just a handful of years ago, concrete counter tops were considered cheap and hideous. Now they're becoming fashionable. "Fashionable" never lasts.

JZNYCRealEstate

Established Member
Actually, I have to strongly disagree with part of that. While design in the south where you are does tend to usually be about 10-15 years behind the times (y'all tend to do that with most everything though ;)), and there are different design styles for different locations, the big thing is that no design trend is exempt from going out of style at some point.

In the 90's, Formica counters were the big fad and the stone alternative was cambrian green/black granite. EVERYONE had those dark green/black cambrian granite counters or they had formica. Tons of evidence of it still today in a lot of older 5th Avenue apartments. By the early 2000's it was being replaced for lighter stone shades of granite with more earth tones which is still strangely popular in the southwest, but is finally starting to phase out. Now the trend is bright white/gray quartz, grays, blacks, and very crisp light colors. The all white kitchen has returned, and frankly I love it.

If I had to say there's only one natural material that doesn't go out of style, (and even it did during the 80s and 90s for a bit) it's white carerra or calcutta marble. That tends to stand the test of time.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
There are more northerners in my area than native southerners. So the design trends here aren't the typical southern designs, for the most part. I'm not really sure how you think we're 10-15 years behind on trends, though, when we watch the exact same home improvement shows as the rest of the nation. That doesn't make much sense.

People are getting into the quartz and concrete counter tops around here. A large amount of upper-end new construction and renovations are going with quartz, but that still doesn't make it any less of a fad. It's going to fall out of fashion in a few years, then come back as another "new" design trend that might stick. Remember shabby chic? That died off pretty quickly and is now back with a vengeance in the form of "reclaimed" materials, i.e. barn wood, furniture carts, etc.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I think we're all being taken advantage of in this area. When we'd ask, "What about how they say on HGTV how 'cheap' quartz is compared to marble and granite?" The typical response was always, "Well, that's just TV. It costs a lot to make and cut quartz." Which we obviously knew was BS. They just markup the quartz so they can keep unloading their granite and marble.

tistan

Established Member
I think we're all being taken advantage of in this area. When we'd ask, "What about how they say on HGTV how 'cheap' quartz is compared to marble and granite?" The typical response was always, "Well, that's just TV. It costs a lot to make and cut quartz." Which we obviously knew was BS. They just markup the quartz so they can keep unloading their granite and marble.

It is bs I bought my quartz tops at floor and decor for $20 sqft. I cut them with a tile blade on my skill saw and holding a wet sponge to the blade. They cut like butter compared to granite. I only had two seems that I epoxied and then sanded and polished. I really cant believe people are getting another $80 sqft to fabricate and install quartz.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
We got Brazilian granite from Lowes or Home Depot, can't remember. The guy came out & laser shot everything, a couple weeks later did the install, wife is happy.
The cabinets are natural finish oak, red oak floor. She picked the granite pattern to kinda match all the kitchen colors. Pretty pricey but it looks great.
Interior remodel is done, never again will I go through all that. Done is done.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Believe it. A lot of small businesses in the south will take advantage of customers every chance they get and for however long they can.

Zedeater

Good from far
Established Member
Just like many other products there are varying scales of quality out there when it comes to quartz. Not all quartz counter tops are created the same or use same quality stones & resins. Just because someone was quoted $ 100 sq/ft for one brand/color doesn't mean someone else got the exact same thing for $ 30 sq/ft somewhere else and the first guy got ripped off. Although most Cambria colors are all one price level except for a few, colors from brands like Caesarstone, Handstone, Samsung & Quartzforms can all have varying levels of pricing within their own brands.
Such comparisons need to be "apples to apples" as they say.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Very true, Zedeater! All stone types/brands are not created equal. You really have to shop around and ask questions. Knowledge is your friend.

Troponin

Established Member
my agent said the same thing.. basically, if a property DOESN'T come with at least granite, they deduct from the home. i heard porcelain bathroom counter tops are starting to come back.

personally, i'd do granite with all under mount sinks. keeping up with the Jones's and buying quartz only to have the trends change in another 10 years isn't worth it, IMO. pay for good edge work and don't get something so polarizing and you'll do good.

It always pissed me off that these agents will bring up things like countertops, but yet, don't feel that a $60,000+ pool adds value "Because it doesn't add heated sq footage".

Real estate is largely subjective.

JZNYCRealEstate

Established Member
It always pissed me off that these agents will bring up things like countertops, but yet, don't feel that a $60,000+ pool adds value "Because it doesn't add heated sq footage".

Real estate is largely subjective.

Yes and no.

I work in a market where pools don't really exist (NYC), hahahaha, but that bring said, a pool isn't a plus for every buyer. So while I think it adds SOME value, It's an added maintenance cost and some buyers with kids see it as a liability. Quartz or Marble counters over Granite don't add any liability, likely won't detract from a buyer pool, and do add actualized value. In terms of percentages and pure numbers, a swimming pool will never give you ROI the same way kitchens and bathrooms will.

And yes, of course real estate is subjective. Values are only based on what people are willing to pay for it. Sellers always think their home/apartment is worth way more than it's actually worth, and buyers always want a $1M apartment for $700k. It's entirely subjective.

My job is to remove emotion from the deal where it's not necessary (because real estate is emotional by nature...hell I just jumped in the street over finding out I got an accept offer this morning on a sale I've been working for months) and make the numbers tell a story. That's what we do. We're not the bad guys. We're the ones telling you the truth no one wants to hear on both sides of the deal, and breaking our backs to get you as a close to what you want as possible. ;)

2000gt4.6

Established Member
I'm not sure it will give the look you want, but for maintenance etc I really like the soapstone tops that are in our house. Only maintenance is, if you want to, running them with mineral oil. Makes em shine etc.

Spill anything on it and it just sits there till you wipe it off. Any grease etc will just rub in like the mineral oil.

It's definitely not going to have the surface look of a granite etc, but it's tons cheaper from what I have seen.

Users who are viewing this thread