Killer Chiller GT500!

J.Kincaid

Established Member

New drag kit valve.

We just fired it up and took temp readings, and with the valve open in normal mode, with no HE, we saw temps of 47 degrees...Now in drag mode with the valve closed, we saw temps of 28 degrees!!!...let me say that again...In drag mode we saw temps of 28 degrees!!!

We'll have pics and vids tomorrow!

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

New drag kit valve.

We just fired it up and took temp readings, and with the valve open in normal mode, with no HE, we saw temps of 47 degrees...Now in drag mode with the valve closed, we saw temps of 28 degrees!!!...let me say that again...In drag mode we saw temps of 28 degrees!!!

We'll have pics and vids tomorrow!

Was that under load or just idling/piddling around in traffic? And with those temps, it seems obvious that the HE has negative effects on the fluid temps. I do know that my A/C still gets icy cold after driving for 45 minutes to 1 hour. So maybe I'm still getting those temps regardless.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
A long time ago I remember talking to a friend and saying wouldn't it be cool if you could use the air conditioning to cool the intake air lol. I like this system and one day I hope to run the drag set up. Btw my idea was to somehow run a tube from inside the car connected to one of the AC vents and in to the intake lol

I also thought a leaf blower would make a good super charger lol

Last edited:

Black Cobra '99

Established Member

Hey guys, I think I'm missing something here. How can the H/E heat up the fluid?

If we take the flow to be IC -> H/E -> KC -> IC
the fluid will come out of the IC after exchanging the heat between the air and the fluid, then it'll go to the H/E where it'll be cooled down to ambient temps, onto the KC which will further cool it down and finally to the hot IC again.

RSAGT500

Established Member
A long time ago I remember talking to a friend and saying wouldn't it be cool if you could use the air conditioning to cool the intake air lol. I like this system and one day I hope to run the drag set up. Btw my idea was to somehow run a tube from inside the car connected to one of the AC vents and in to the intake lol

Didn't the concept lightning have this type of system back in like 05 or 06?

Matt in Houston

I like SVT & I cannot lie
Established Member
Hey guys, I think I'm missing something here. How can the H/E heat up the fluid?

If we take the flow to be IC -> H/E -> KC -> IC
the fluid will come out of the IC after exchanging the heat between the air and the fluid, then it'll go to the H/E where it'll be cooled down to ambient temps, onto the KC which will further cool it down and finally to the hot IC again.

With the KC installed, the fluid coming out of the intercooler is usually colder than ambient unless when building boost at WOT (A/C and KC is off anyway under WOT). Usually when you are going WOT, its perhaps for 10-15 seconds or so at most (unless running mile events or a full on road course car), so the pre-chilled fluid already in the system is all the intercooler sees in that short amount of time. Once you go back to partial throttle, the A/C is back on and the KC is back cooling the fluid again and the recovery time is fast. So no real need for the HE in that type of situation.

So while you are cruising or idling on the streets, if the intercooler fluid chilled by the KC is colder than the temperature outside, than the HE is heating up your fluid and preventing it from being as cold as it could be. Basically the HE is making the KC less effective.

J.Kincaid

Established Member
I think this killer chiller might be my next mod.

I know I'm biased, but I guarantee you'll love this system. I've been doing this for 15 years and even I'm impressed with the GT500 kit. lol

Was that under load or just idling/piddling around in traffic? And with those temps, it seems obvious that the HE has negative effects on the fluid temps. I do know that my A/C still gets icy cold after driving for 45 minutes to 1 hour. So maybe I'm still getting those temps regardless.

Those temps were taken at idle inside the garage, so minimum load. our test car has no heat exchanger, and it's pulley'd for 23.5 pounds of boost. I was impressed with this setup...driving around we saw temps at ambient or lower. When we came to a light the temps would go up about 5 degrees above ambient, and then come back down when we started going again. We stopped for about 30 minutes and when we fired it up it was at 157 degrees. as soon as we started moving it dropped right back down to 100 and lower. When we went WOT the temps dipped down below ambient and then shot up a little when we got out off the throttle. Then they drop right back down again.

The sensor for the IAT-2 is connected to a very hot lower intake manifold and is seeing the temp of the engine too. when you give it a little gas it allows a larger mass of chilled air across it, so that's why the temps drop at WOT.

Lol I think we all had ideas like that when we were young. I remember when I was a teen I thought I could jump off the roof of a house with an umbrella and float down to the ground. lol

Definitely excited to see the results of this

I wanted to put some stuff up tonight, but the guy in charge of putting up the pics and vids says its too much stuff and will take a little more time to edit down so people can watch it.

So data is coming very soon!

With the KC installed, the fluid coming out of the intercooler is usually colder than ambient unless when building boost at WOT (A/C and KC is off anyway under WOT). Usually when you are going WOT, its perhaps for 10-15 seconds or so at most (unless running mile events or a full on road course car), so the pre-chilled fluid already in the system is all the intercooler sees in that short amount of time. Once you go back to partial throttle, the A/C is back on and the KC is back cooling the fluid again and the recovery time is fast. So no real need for the HE in that type of situation.

So while you are cruising or idling on the streets, if the intercooler fluid chilled by the KC is colder than the temperature outside, than the HE is heating up your fluid and preventing it from being as cold as it could be. Basically the HE is making the KC less effective.

Very well put! That's why I recommend a larger reservoir for more fluid reserve. It's like a heatsink...the bigger the heatsink the more heat energy it can dissipate, and the longer it takes to heat it up. Over the years I've found that 3.5 gallons is pretty much the max, and 1.5 gallon is pretty much the min as far as overall IC fluid capacity.

J.Kincaid

Established Member

Reservoir temps in drag mode. Outside temps were in the low 90s. That temp reads 28.7 degrees Fahrenheit!

We have a quick vid we'll put up tomorrow of the Iat-1 and Iat-2 in normal stop and go traffic.

finally03gt

Established Member
I love this idea. I just can't get over how much I hate jacking with A/C and having a triple black Daily Drive in Houston. May sound weird, but I'd love to see some vent temperature comparisons. Also, what is the weight, compared to a dual fan HE unit?

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I love this idea. I just can't get over how much I hate jacking with A/C and having a triple black Daily Drive in Houston. May sound weird, but I'd love to see some vent temperature comparisons. Also, what is the weight, compared to a dual fan HE unit?

Considering the size of the aftermarket HEs with fans and the extra fluid that goes in them, I'm certain the KC is a few pounds lighter than a dual fan HE unit.

que4dog

Established Member

I did the Group buy in 2013 but just got around to installing the KC. I replaced the dual fan H.E. I've read all the post regarding the comparisons but real truth is, no H.E will ever compare. Don't get it wrong, the dual fan HE is much better than stock, but the Killer Chiller is at a different level. I'm still testing it. INSIDE AC TEMPERATURES ARE PERFECT! Testing the past 5 days for 1.5 hour drives per day with last 30 minutes of excessive traffic. Never did it go 7 degrees over ambient!!! Many times it was as much as 10 degrees UNDER AMBIENT temperatures.

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... I've read all the post regarding comparisons but real truth is, no H.E will never compare. Don't get wrong, the dual fan HE is much better than stock, but the Killer Chiller is at a different level. ... Never did it go 7 degrees over ambient!!! Many times it was as much as 10 degrees UNDER AMBIENT temperatures.

^^All of this.

Installing a KC is pretty much a no-brainer if you're concerned about IAT2s. I think most people are just scared off by the idea of splicing into their A/C system. Let me assure everyone as someone who did the install himself, it's not that big a deal. I had to revisit my install initially because I didn't tighten one of the fittings enough and ended up losing all my refrigerant. After I found the leak, I finished tightening it, recharged the system and haven't had one problem since.

My leak had nothing to do with the kit. It was my own lack of attention while finalizing the install. I'm telling you guys. Install one of these and you'll never look back.

Users who are viewing this thread