Killer Chiller GT500!

J.Kincaid

Established Member
Hey everyone. We just picked up a 2012 Shelby to showcase our products and also to use for R&D.

It has a VMP TVX stage 2 kit with a 2.4 pulley, and some kind of axle back exhaust. So far we've installed a larger reservoir and an ATI 15% balancer. We put an aeroforce gauge with a 3/8" sending unit to record fluid temps, but can't get that working. Aeroforce thinks It's a problem with the gauge. Anyway we're doing a before and after and will have pics and vids of everything we do.

Keep in mind we're about a mile high here, so you really need to spin the blower to make any kind of power. We had it at the local track last weekend and the down stream temps were in the 160 degree range going through the traps. This was on a 75 degree evening. IC fluid temps after the run was 136 degrees.

After we get all the data, we'll install the KC and then record the after temps.

I'll have picks of the new setup tomorrow.

Last edited:

J.Kincaid

Established Member
Thanks, I just added a couple of pics. The second pic is at the local track getting some temp data. These cars are a lot of fun to drive!

Joe

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Damn 136* out of a TVS is pretty high. Any cooling mods done to the car at all...heat exchanger...fans...etc?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
'Bout damned time! Just make sure you put up plenty of videos showing coolant temps and IAT2s while under load, cruising around, and how quickly it chills the coolant. Sub'd.

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
'Bout damned time! Just make sure you put up plenty of videos showing coolant temps and IAT2s while under load, cruising around, and how quickly it chills the coolant. Sub'd.
This. The IAT2's are what is going to sell your product in my opinion. Show the low iat2's that can be had for the street cars. The hardcore drag racers are going to use ice tanks no matter what. The street car/guys are your audience imo. Sorry if I am being Captain Obvious.

Matt in Houston

I like SVT & I cannot lie
Established Member
In case anyone missed it...I have some IAT2 data here. I will continue to log data and also show differences once I remove/bypass my heat exchanger.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1085472-Killer-Chiller-installed-in-my-2013

I did some more logging last weekend. Typically my IAT2's are topping off at around 100-105 at the top or 3rd after a WOT pull starting in second. I've also noticed with the newly found cooler air, my car is running more timing than it ever has before. My car is a street car and the Killer Chiller is performing excellent IMO. It keeps the IAT2's down in stop and go traffic and is a great defender against heat soak. My car would do even lower temps without the heat exchanger, no doubt about it.

Here are some pics during my drive to work and back yesterday...

Typical suburban commute, stopping at lights every mile or so along the way...

2015-09-17 08.08.09.jpg

Caught in traffic during an accident on the way home...

2015-09-17 18.09.02.jpg

Last edited:

Matt in Houston

Established Member
Damn 136* out of a TVS is pretty high. Any cooling mods done to the car at all...heat exchanger...fans...etc?

A couple months ago I ran a TT 5.0 and it was about 84 degrees out that morning. From a 45-140 roll I was seeing IAT2 temps of 152* at the top of 4th gear. After that first run, I struggled to get my IAT2 down to even 120* after ~10 minutes of cruising on the highway.

With my KC installed, my IAT2 is almost always below 105 when I'm cruising city streets, even on a 95 degree day. Typically its no more than 10* over ambient but usually less than that. Major difference in IAT2 temps, which used to average ~35* over IAT at cruise.

As for as fluid temps, from a cold start to a fully warmed up idle, my tank temps went from ~110 degrees to ~65 degrees.

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
How do you like that X4? Is it easy and intuitive to use? I've been eyeing it for a while but struggle to justify upgrading to it for the limited use I would actually get out of it.

Matt in Houston

Established Member
Yes the SCT has been great for me. It came with my VMP stage 4. At first I only used it for tuning and data logging. It uses a program called Live Link which is free from SCT. You can configure up to 40 data points to record. There are different gauge display setups you can use to view up to I think 8 different data points at a time. The other data is recorded in the background even if its not displayed.

I was about to buy an Aeroforce gauge but I kept hesitating because of the price. Then I saw this mount on Amazon and decided to give it a shot. Its the best thing since sliced bread! This mount is slightly different than the one sold by SCT, as it has two adjustment points instead of just one. Its also slightly cheaper. The suction cup is good and hasn't failed me yet. The location of the mount is perfect where I have it. It doesnt block any of my view of the road or my air vent.

http://www.amazon.com/Windshield-Su...8&qid=1442612585&sr=8-2&keywords=sct+x4+mount

So now that I've installed the Killer Chiller (which obviously I highly recommend if you want to keep your IAT2 temps down for a street car) I have been using my SCTx4 as a gauge and honestly its awesome. It even has adjustable backlighting so it auto dims at night. The larger gauge displays also show a min and max so you can see them aftera burst instead of trying to watch the gauge at WOT.

Sorry for the thread jack.

Last edited:

J.Kincaid

Established Member
How do you guys get by with running the AC while on the track?

The drag kit comes with a 12V valve. When you flip the switch inside the cab it stops the refrigerant flow to the evaporator for in-cab cooling. So 100% of the refrigerant is diverted to the KC for charge cooling. Since no refrigerant is flowing into the evap, then it can't condensate, and drip through the drip tube. The KC is insulated and so, the only thing that the customer has to do is insulate the cold side lines, and you do that by picking up a couple of insulation sticks at any hardware store for about 4 bucks a stick.

160 degrees IAT-2 going through the traps. It has the stock HE. After the run we measured the IC fluid temp, and it was at 136 degrees.

Way ahead of you!!

This. The IAT2's are what is going to sell your product in my opinion. Show the low iat2's that can be had for the street cars. The hardcore drag racers are going to use ice tanks no matter what. The street car/guys are your audience imo. Sorry if I am being Captain Obvious.

Plenty of data here http://killerchiller.com/about

Now we'll add the GT500 data to it. We've been selling kits for the GT500 every since they came out. We just decided to pick one up for our main test vehicle.

A couple months ago I ran a TT 5.0 and it was about 84 degrees out that morning. From a 45-140 roll I was seeing IAT2 temps of 152* at the top of 4th gear. After that first run, I struggled to get my IAT2 down to even 120* after ~10 minutes of cruising on the highway.

With my KC installed, my IAT2 is almost always below 105 when I'm cruising city streets, even on a 95 degree day. Typically its no more than 10* over ambient but usually less than that. Major difference in IAT2 temps, which used to average ~35* over IAT at cruise.

As for as fluid temps, from a cold start to a fully warmed up idle, my tank temps went from ~110 degrees to ~65 degrees.

Thanks for the data! We'll have aux reservoirs to increase fluid capacity in a few weeks. These will fit up front under the driver side head lamp, and tie right in to the IC circuit.

Matt in Houston

Established Member
Unfortunately Joe those won't work for the 13/14 track pack cars which have additional oil coolers under each side headlight. To make it easier I removed my wiper fluid tank to make room for my Killer Chiller and it fits perfectly.

Also again for the 13/14's, I think the more effective the heat exchanger, the less effective the killer chiller will be (but it still works great as I have also shown). I know it sounds counter intuitive but it's not if you really think about it. I am looking forward to bypassing my HE and running more data. Or for extra room, I would like to remove it and band clamp a tank behind the bumper made of round PVC and capped with fittings on each end. That should hold more fluid and keep it cooler vs having it run through the HE.

Last edited:

J.Kincaid

Established Member
Unfortunately Joe those won't work for the 13/14 track pack cars which have additional oil coolers under each side headlight. To make it easier I removed my wiper fluid tank to make room for my Killer Chiller and it fits perfectly.

Also again for the 13/14's, I think the more effective the heat exchanger, the less effective the killer chiller will be (but it still works great as I have also shown). I know it sounds counter intuitive but it's not if you really think about it. I am looking forward to bypassing my HE and running more data. Or for extra room, I would like to remove it and band clamp a tank behind the bumper made of round PVC and capped with fittings on each end. That should hold more fluid and keep it cooler vs having it run through the HE.

You are correct, that's why we've always recommend using a bypass valve for the coldest temps possible. We have a 3 way valve that we're starting to carry for just this purpose. Its a 12V motorized ball valve.

Below is a picture of the KC mounted in a customers 2012 GT500.

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Hey Matt, I have a question about the X4.
Didn't you encounter any problems while datalogging IAT2? On my X4, IAT2 shows ridiculous numbers that has no meaning, like 16000!!

I made a thread about it before and I wasn't the only one, other members contacted SCT and they said they were working on it. But I'm still having the same problem.

J.Kincaid

Established Member
KC drag install

Starting the KC drag kit install. We'll have a full how to on this install. You can easily do this right in your garage in about 4 hours. We'll include the auxiliary IC tank, and the auxiliary condenser for colder temps.

We'll have before and after data soon!

Users who are viewing this thread