Votes: 10 83.3%
  • Keep mystichrome and leave alone

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Sell and buy a twin screw cobra

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bssmith1220

Established Member
I bought a pretty basic bolt on mystichrome vert earlier this year (no pulley even prior to me) with 42k miles and the mod bug is starting to bite. I can't decide if I spend the money to almost start from scratch on this car, or sell this one and buy one someone else already spent the money on. I assume I could almost get a twin screw car for what I could sell mine for. Just won't end up with the same color car. What would you guys do? I go back and forth different days. I drove the car 500 miles this year if that matters so it's not a daily. I will say that sometimes I choose not to drive this one just because I'm afraid the paint will get messed up.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I bought mine back in 2010, basically stock. I like seeing the transformation and doing a lot of the work myself. It costs more, in the end I know what I have and it's not a hack job. I say keep if you like the color and a vert.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
It depends on how much you like Mystichrome. For me, it is hands-down the neatest color/option package on the Terminators. It draws crowds and comments every time I take it out. If you dig the color changing exterior and interior as much as I do, keep it and build it to what you want. If it's just another color to you, sell it and pick up something built, like you said. The MC will command a premium when you sell and that money can be applied to a non-color shifting car with added goodies.

You will get many personal opinions on what other people like, but it boils down to what YOU like. Keep in mind that the 03 anniversary and the 04 Mystichrome cars were more than just a color. They were an upgraded package to include the interior.

As for repaints, there are owners on this forum that have had paint work done successfully on their MC cars.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm with the other guys. If you like the car keep it and make it what you want. Mystichrome can be fixed and painted. Mine has had some work done. I love my MC. I'm still going to mod it how I want it.

bssmith1220

Established Member
How attached are you to the MC? What's would be your other top two color choices?

I like the mc, but I like white and sonic blue as well. I'm not overly attached, but it is cool to have something you don't see everyday. I just hate knowing I'm going to throw money at it for a couple of years to get it where I want. My kids are young so I feel guilty buying car parts when I could be buying vacations or experiences for my kids.

RI-SVT

TVS Powered
Established Member
Sell it imo, people want good money for sonic blue though, buy one that has atleast the essential mods.

HPLouis

Established Member
This is the problem I have too. I have a Mystichrome vert and I see modded cars, with more miles and the mods I want, for less money. When I tally up how much I'd spend on mods, I'm torn between selling and getting a modded car. I'd save alot of money. I also worry about repainting if the car ever gets damaged or rock chips.

Goose17

Established Member
FYI, I spoke with a Ford dealer paint shop about repairs to Mystichrome... The painter said if I ever wanted to get paint work done, just hit the area in question vs. the whole panel. He said if you do the whole panel, the flop could be different between the adjoining panels, but since the car has such dramatic flop differences across any particular panel, if you just hit part of the panel (like the middle for instance) the flop differences (if any) would be more natural.

At 15,000 miles, my paint is not perfect. I inquired about touch-ups out of curiosity, but haven't done any yet.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
I like the MC color a lot.
I don't own anything that I am afraid to mod , and certainly do not trust others to have the same taste as me .
I have purchased modded rides in the past , and although the workmanship was fine , my desires were different.
I would mod what you have to your tastes, and involve your children in the project.
Everyone wins that way , and frankly children do not take vacations lol.

rymax101

Established Member
Unmolested car bring nice money. Unmolested MC will bring insane money. With mods come problems and more work, and it never ends. I would keep the MC drive it from time to time and buy another mod cobra. If that isnt an option sell the MC for what you feel it is worth. Then mod up another one.

Just feel like the MC are unicorns and not to be torn up.

bssmith1220

Established Member
So what's a 42k mile mc vert worth these days? Mods in sig and paint is almost perfect.

01yellercobra

Established Member
FYI, I spoke with a Ford dealer paint shop about repairs to Mystichrome... The painter said if I ever wanted to get paint work done, just hit the area in question vs. the whole panel. He said if you do the whole panel, the flop could be different between the adjoining panels, but since the car has such dramatic flop differences across any particular panel, if you just hit part of the panel (like the middle for instance) the flop differences (if any) would be more natural.

At 15,000 miles, my paint is not perfect. I inquired about touch-ups out of curiosity, but haven't done any yet.

That really depends on the painter. When mine was done they painted the deck lid, wing, rear bumper, and quarters. They had to do that to get it blended right. And nobody can tell it's been painted.

Goose17

Established Member
That really depends on the painter. When mine was done they painted the deck lid, wing, rear bumper, and quarters. They had to do that to get it blended right. And nobody can tell it's been painted.

That's good to know. I'm glad you had successful paint work. I think it would be awesome to do a full repaint someday, but have a custom rod shop do it and wet sand it smooth like a color changing mirror!

01yellercobra

Established Member
That's good to know. I'm glad you had successful paint work. I think it would be awesome to do a full repaint someday, but have a custom rod shop do it and wet sand it smooth like a color changing mirror!

That's something I'd love to do as well. Along with smoothing the engine compartment.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
With 42k mikes, mod they way you want.
A basic whipple or TVS & supporting mods will give you a stout street car.
Mystichrome paint isn't as much of a mystery as some think. A GOOD painter can get it done if the need arises.
Have fun with it.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
With 42k mikes, mod they way you want.
A basic whipple or TVS & supporting mods will give you a stout street car.
Mystichrome paint isn't as much of a mystery as some think. A GOOD painter can get it done if the need arises.
Have fun with it.

This^. If you had 20k or under I'd say look for another car. Not that 42k is high mileage at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I bought mine back in 2010, basically stock. I like seeing the transformation and doing a lot of the work myself. It costs more, in the end I know what I have and it's not a hack job. I say keep if you like the color and a vert.
I say the same thing.

Mystichrome is an awesome color so if you like it and like convertibles, keep it and mod the way you want it. I wouldn't fret about the paint. Just enjoy the time behind the wheel. I would bet you're naturally careful about your cars and take good care of them. ;)

cj428mach

Established Member
One thing to keep in mind is the cost of government when swapping cars. I had an 80,000 mile sb car I sold for 16k to buy my 7500 mile ow car for 24.5k.

$8500 for 70k less miles in the color I wanted wasn't to bad. It did suck paying $2000+ in sales tax on top of that to essentially get the same car. I don't know how some people change cars like they do underwear as the sales tax alone can break you.

Users who are viewing this thread