Votes: 10 83.3%
  • Keep mystichrome and leave alone

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Sell and buy a twin screw cobra

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Piasared

Established Member
Personally I'd keep it stock. It's going to be a collectors car someday. You can afford the mods I'd just find a cheap fox body and play with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
My mentality is very different than most in this community. A lot of people here love to modify in the performance department. I come from the collector car mentality and think you should keep your MC and NOT modify it.

I modified my coupe, but it's silver and a lot of folks do not want a silver Cobra. To most it looks plain and boring. However, anniversary Cobra's and special colors like MC and CO I feel need to remain stock and untouched as they WILL be worth money one day and even in the current market they are worth money.

My vote is keep the MC stock and hold on to it for collectability. Then buy something else and use it as a toy to modify. Or sell your MC and buy another Cobra to modify as you will.

In the end it's your car and your decision. I just feel special edition or unique colored Cobras need to remain untouched.

Good luck in whatever direction you choose.

LordVader04

Established Member
image.jpeg
Mod the MC, make it your own and don't look back!

Last edited:

HPLouis

Established Member
What's kept me from modding my car is what I've seen on this board.

1. There's a guy on here with 390,000 miles on his cobra and he only have exhaust and a tune. Reliability increases the less modded you are.

2. And the biggest thing.......a person buys the car for $XX,XXX and spends $XX,XXX in mods. You would thing that the price would increase due to the mods or at least stay the same....NO, it doesn't. You actually lose money the more you mod the car. You lose the money in the mods and you lose the money in the car since people assume you raced the car. People will not believe that you drove your TVS'd, 700rwhp, SRA Terminator to church or the grocery store and back

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
Vacations with the kids!! thats where I spend all my extra money, that and house stuff.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
And the biggest thing.......a person buys the car for $XX,XXX and spends $XX,XXX in mods. You would thing that the price would increase due to the mods or at least stay the same....NO, it doesn't. You actually lose money the more you mod the car. You lose the money in the mods and you lose the money in the car since people assume you raced the car. People will not believe that you drove your TVS'd, 700rwhp, SRA Terminator to church or the grocery store and back

Sure, that's true that you won't re-coup the money you spend in mods and it generally detracts from the resale value...

But you have to ask yourself this question - did I buy the car to sell it? Or did I buy the car to drive it?

Take it from me, as I purchased mine brand new - a stock cobra is a very, very boring ride compared to a modded one...

It also can still remain very reliable.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Take it from me, as I purchased mine brand new - a stock cobra is a very, very boring ride compared to a modded one...

Very interesting statement. I have never driven a modified Cobra. I have driven a 2013 Shelby though. And my 65 had a 347 stroker on a 150 shot of the juice before I blew it up.

When you make that comparison (stock vs. modified Cobra) your statement might be true in general, but for someone like me who has driven various HP level cars I still don't find driving my stock HP Cobra boring at all, even when compared to higher HP vehicles.

HPLouis

Established Member
Hi,
You make a very good point but I did buy the car to drive it and enjoy it. Now, with the mods, what I've seen on this forum is this:
1. person buys car
2. person mods car (here is where things go crazy)
a. if person has the knowledge, tools, or the right shop, and the money, they have a good build and enjoy the car
b. person half asses it.....either didn't estimate how much it would cost, or didn't buy good quality parts, or just mismatched stuff, etc. Now they have a car with an inadequate fuel system, inadequate cooling....or they have the dyno numbers and failed to work the suspension, tranny, so the car breaks parts, or can't hook, etc. Now, they run out of money....get frustrated, car isn't reliable and they end up selling it.

Now for 2a, what I've also seen happen is they get bored with the car....or the see the '13-'14 GT500, Hellcat or a vette, etc and they want it, or something else comes up (family, new home, etc.). Now they sell their car and can't get back what they put into it. Even if they part it out, they only get back a third. Then they run into educated buyers who can tell that a car's been 'returned to stock'. If they kept the car stock, they would have taken less of a hit.

Now, I know what alot of people are going to say, "the right buyer will pay, etc." but I've hung around here for a while and I'm in the Marketplace alot. I've seen alot of modded cars go for way less than asking price or they sit for a while, only to sell for lower. Then you'll always see the naysayers jumping in those threads telling the seller that they're asking too much money.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone. I've done it also. I had a 90GT, 95Cobra, 95CobraR and a 99Cobra. Spent tens of thousands of dollars in mods and now I'm 41 and I'm thinking to myself, "If only I put all that money in a 401K.....". At least with a stock car, I can still drive and enjoy it, and, if I ever have to dump it, I can sell it faster than a modded out car.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
^^^ WELL said HPLouis. You're absolutely correct in your post. I read your post and it was like this is EXACTLY what every post reads like.

Guys either have the cash and knowledge and build something great or they get in over their heads and are here asking for help (rightfully so as we all need help from time to time).

Perfect sum up brother!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread