Just bought a completely stock 03 Cobra

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
Alrighty then. Anyone have a good tuner to recommend in south Florida?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

03'Darin

Established Member
Nice find!

Is it a Florida car?

Just curious what you paid for it? If you don't mind saying. I have an 03' that I bought new that's got 15k miles on it. These cars haven't seemed to increase in value much yet and seem to be a pretty darn good buy for the money.

I have a buddy with an 03' that has around the same mileage and Carvana offered him like $27k for the car. I was shocked they were giving him that much.

My mod suggestion is close to what musclefan said...... pulley, tune, cai and catback. No mid pipe unless you're looking for louder exhaust. The factory cats were pretty efficient so swapping that out gains minimal performance.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I’m stock with full exhaust change

Long tubes o/r mid

I’m also using old predator performance tune

Traction is my next step.

Did larger wheel 10.5 with 315 but street tire
And still have tire spin instantly with very little throttle

stangfreak

Established Member
If I just bought a stock cobra and wanted to mod it slightly, I would do....
steeda cold air intake
2.80 upper pulley
catback
tune

done. No more. and leave it that way.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I bought my '04 brand new and I drove it with the stock pulley for about 5 years. While it was enjoyable, looking back I really didn't know what I was missing.

Then when I bought my '03 in 2012, it only took me about a week to pulley that bitch. That's what a night and day difference just the basic mods have on the driving fun factor.

As others have said, just the basics make for a reliable and quick street car, even nowadays. They used to call it "CPIE" - chip, pulley, intake, exhaust. (Handhelds were just appearing when these cars were new)

Whatever you decide, best of luck and enjoy!

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Basic pulley car with upgraded IRS bushings and a diff cover so you don’t have to worry about leaks. Oh and a good set of brake pads inside the stock calipers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I bought my '04 brand new and I drove it with the stock pulley for about 5 years. While it was enjoyable, looking back I really didn't know what I was missing.

Then when I bought my '03 in 2012, it only took me about a week to pulley that bitch. That's what a night and day difference just the basic mods have on the driving fun factor.

As others have said, just the basics make for a reliable and quick street car, even nowadays. They used to call it "CPIE" - chip, pulley, intake, exhaust. (Handhelds were just appearing when these cars were new)

Whatever you decide, best of luck and enjoy!
Your post brought back memories of my first drive after doing a pulley/tune mod. I met Rick from Amazon Tuning at Maple Grove in PA, and before the racing started he installed everything under his canopy. Reichart Racing 2.90 upper and 4-piece idler set, and a tune. I had just installed an Accufab TB, Steeda intake, catback and X-pipe. It took about an hour for the install and tune, and then I was given the key to take it for a test drive. Prior to the pulley and tune, I was making around 385rwhp and 370rwtq. After the pulley and tune, the numbers jumped to 456rwhp and 470rwtq. So it shouldn't be surprising that I was silly happy. I remember driving to Hershey after the race event and not wanting to park the car. It was that much fun. Those mods, by the way, were the norm back in 2003-2004. Ported blowers hadn't yet been born. My personal experience with the "basic" motor mods is why I always recommend them to new owners with factory/near factory Cobras. Just breathe and go for it. And they're very safe mods.

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
Anyone know the cost of the basic pulley/tune setup?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
When I bought my 03 redfire back in 2010 it had 20k miles. It only took about 4 weeks and I added a 2.8 pulley, intake, exhaust, and tune lol.

It made 455/479 sae.

Car looks great op.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Anyone know the cost of the basic pulley/tune setup?

Depends on the tuner and whether or not you're going to have a shop install the pulley (and idlers if you go that route). I'd say figure around $1200.00 for a tune, upper pulley and idlers (installed by a shop). Someone else might have a more accurate estimate.

I recommend going with a 4-piece billet idler set because the factory stamped steel idlers have been known to explode. The extra idler will add more belt wrap for the smaller upper pulley and help eliminate belt slippage. Metco double-bearing idlers is what I would recommend. A Metco upper pulley is recommended. Reichard Racing uppers are good, too. Just my personal recommendations.

_Snake_

Established Member
Alrighty then. Anyone have a good tuner to recommend in south Florida?

As mentioned, Power by the Hour, Palm Beach Dyno, or VMP. All three are top shelf.

Users who are viewing this thread