JLT vs AIRAID

Ackman70

Established Member
I ran the JLT when I first bought my '13 GT. No problems with it. When I added the larger throttle body I needed to find one with a larger outlet and the Air raid fit the bill nicely. As stated above the fit and finish of the Air raid compared to the JLT shocked me. Air raid is a much nicer piece on many levels.

That being said I run JLT oil separators on drivers and passenger side. I have their rear axle expansion tank as well. So I'm a big fan of some of their other products.

nosscort

Established Member
So everyone is saying the airaid is bigger but by now much? We keep seeing the jlt at the throttle body is 79mm but what's the size of the airaid?

Shaun@AED

IMG_0336_zps1627653d.jpg

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
But wouldn't fluid dynamics come into play here? Being the JLT intake is closer matched to the inlet dia of the TB, I would think that would be more efficient for flowing air into the TB, where as the Airraid needs a reducer, thus possibly causing eddy currents at the TB because of the air having to speed up whilst dropping the pressure. But again, I may be thinking way to into this as an engineer.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
But wouldn't fluid dynamics come into play here? Being the JLT intake is closer matched to the inlet dia of the TB, I would think that would be more efficient for flowing air into the TB, where as the Airraid needs a reducer, thus possibly causing eddy currents at the TB because of the air having to speed up whilst dropping the pressure. But again, I may be thinking way to into this as an engineer.

I could be wrong. I'd see what your saying as being true if you were pouring water through it (pushing air as in forced induction) because it would cause a disturbance in the flow. But with the engine sucking air it would seen there wouldn't be a horrible disturbance because the tube would see vacuum even at the small amount it would still matter.

Make sense? If not it's because I think weird.

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
We are picking pepper out of fly shit here. Anyone who has a JLT and thinks going to an Airaid is worth the money is nuts. Quality is top notch for sure, but from a power standpoint, its certainly not worth the money.

Last edited:

goat-ee

Established Member
Still learning on these 5.0's, so really just wondering something here. Regardless of CAI, every engine will run harder with cooler, denser air. The "C" in CAI is supposed be COLD, but I know my JLT is certainly not pulling in cold air well. The heat shield is only minimally protecting the filter from sucking in hot, underhood air temps. If I wasn't so lazy I would be interested in logging IAT's on my current setup and after my soon to be Revolution Auto 5" CAI for the Cobra Jet intake. I'm going to get it sealed away from engine heat as much as I possibly can. And figure out some way to bring in cool air from the outside to it better. A 10-20 degree drop makes a real difference in hp. And really doing some insulating and paying attention to detail is basically free, just a little time consuming maybe.

Last edited:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Still learning on these 5.0's, so really just wondering something here. Regardless of CAI, every engine will run harder with cooler, denser air. The "C" in CAI is supposed be COLD, but I know my JLT is certainly not pulling in cold air well. The heat shield is only minimally protecting the filter from sucking in hot, underhood air temps. If I wasn't so lazy I would be interested in logging IAT's on my current setup and after my soon to be Revolution Auto 5" CAI for the Cobra Jet intake. I'm going to get it sealed away from engine heat as much as I possibly can. And figure out some way to bring in cool air from the outside to it better. A 10-20 degree drop makes a real difference in hp. And really doing some insulating and paying attention to detail is basically free, just a little time consuming maybe.
The "Cold" in cold air intake is referring to the air when the car is moving. When the car is at idle, of course IATs will be higher, because there is no air flow through the hood.

Every time I have logged my JLT intake, my IATs were within 1-2° of ambient air temps when doing at least 50 MPH. Having an open air filter allows the filter to no be subject to only the air coming into the closed box.

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
Some should read the ported Boss IM threads. Some good info in there comparing the airaid and JLT.

Have any pics of your port work? I debated porting mine but I have seen conflicting results pertaining to the value of doing it. Seems if you take too much material out, it hurts performance.

ForceofWill

Established Member
I got an intake for looks knowing full well it probably wouldn't add anything to the 1/4. That's why I went with the JLT. I didn't want a CF one and JLT has body color painted ones that are awesome. My GHIG intake from him looks great for car shows.

That being said, if I wanted a CF one I would get the parnelli jones Airraid one.

Sr7vuBU.jpg

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I could be wrong. I'd see what your saying as being true if you were pouring water through it (pushing air as in forced induction) because it would cause a disturbance in the flow. But with the engine sucking air it would seen there wouldn't be a horrible disturbance because the tube would see vacuum even at the small amount it would still matter.

Make sense? If not it's because I think weird.
You make a good point, and likely are correct.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
Is anybody having trouble keeping their JLT from comming loose? I can't tell you how many times mine has come loose at the tb hose while at the track.

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
Have any pics of your port work? I debated porting mine but I have seen conflicting results pertaining to the value of doing it. Seems if you take too much material out, it hurts performance.

Thumbs up on this one... The runner length between the boss and the CJ are the same, CJ is one tenth larger at the opening near the injector.
The Plenum is much larger on the CJ... So if Ford racing in thier testing would have seen a difference in runner diameter, I think the CJ would have been made larger in runner bore

I say for the boss intake, open up the throttle body port as large as possible keeping all safe from structural failure and polish off the casting makes in the runners.
Stick a 90mm tb on the thing and then a CAI that fits best to the 90mm TB which is 3.54 inches ID... And sorry I do not have that answer to what CAI fits like this.

Airaid needs a 4" to 3.5" coupler on stock throttle body

Last edited:

BPatterson

Established Member

Unfortunately, I don't. When I was doing my injector swap, I decided to port the intake on a whim. It was super easy. I opened up the TB inlet by first removing the fins from the top and bottom, then opening the inlet itself focusing more on the bottom and side radiuses. Then removed material from around the injector bungs, and reworked the radiuses without reshaping them.

Users who are viewing this thread