JLT vs AIRAID

Ignotbullet

Established Member
Can someone with true track times back to back show me that the Airaid is that much better than the JLT intake? Also yes I recongnize the size difference 3.12 vs 3.48 or whatever it is exactly. Once again true track times not dyno numbers or seat of the pants.

BPatterson

Established Member
I don't have any track times, but I just made the swap from a JLT carbon fiber cai to an Airaid Boss cai, and the difference in quality had me floored! The airaid has a better airbox, better couplings, better filter connection, etc. It's just an overall better piece IMHO.

Masheen365

Established Member
Can someone with true track times back to back show me that the Airaid is that much better than the JLT intake? Also yes I recongnize the size difference 3.12 vs 3.48 or whatever it is exactly. Once again true track times not dyno numbers or seat of the pants.

Is this stemming down from the recent Comp Cams Stage 3 thread? Someone in there said maybe 1-2 hp difference. If that's correct, like SID297 said it wouldn't even matter.

As a noob I would think it's just a matter of opinion, brand loyalty, or underhood looks.

Voltwings

Established Member
I think the main benefit (or difference) that would need to be measured is curve gains as opposed to just peak. Lets just say it is only a 1-2 whp difference, 1-2 whp across the whole curve is a lot different than 1-2 whp PEAK difference. That being said, if it is that small its awfully subjective and basically a drivers race but, you see my point.

wingless5.0

Established Member
Airraid is really good quality. Its near oem. Helped a buddy do his jlt intake and it was no where near the quality of the Airraid.

clinton2003

Established Member
as said before the quality of the Airaid vs the JLT is just astounding. Mainly the Airbox area that blocks off the hot air... The JLT is just a piece of flat plastic bent, blocking the hot air, rubbing on the valve cover (what i HATED)

Got the Airaid, and the Airbox is a form fit box that uses the most of the front snorkel and gets you the most clean air. Has a piece of weather stripping material to help seal against the hood to keep the most of the hot air out as possible. Great fit, great quality.

The other reason i switched is because i got a bigger throttle body, and the JLT opening is only 79mm.... which the Airaid is MUCH bigger.... which would make me gather that the JLT wouldnt benefit from having an bigger throttle body where the Airaid could.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
as said before the quality of the Airaid vs the JLT is just astounding. Mainly the Airbox area that blocks off the hot air... The JLT is just a piece of flat plastic bent, blocking the hot air, rubbing on the valve cover (what i HATED)

Got the Airaid, and the Airbox is a form fit box that uses the most of the front snorkel and gets you the most clean air. Has a piece of weather stripping material to help seal against the hood to keep the most of the hot air out as possible. Great fit, great quality.

The other reason i switched is because i got a bigger throttle body, and the JLT opening is only 79mm.... which the Airaid is MUCH bigger.... which would make me gather that the JLT wouldnt benefit from having an bigger throttle body where the Airaid could.
Kind of making me want to switch, but I bought mine used for a steal. I will agree that for what the intake costs, it could use a higher degree of finish on it. But not many people add TBs to these cars, so the opening of the JLT is okay. Any intake will have to neck down to the TB diameter anyways.

5.0jake

Established Member

JLT vs Airaid?

I'd like to see the true track time difference between the stock air box and any aftermarket CAI :bored:...

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Tucker from JLT is going to explode when he reads these replies.
I can understand exactly why his is the way it is. He isn't some huge company like Airraid, K&N, etc. with tons of money in R&D. He designed this intake himself with the knowledge he has, and I'm sure some oversight. He gave a product that he knows will make some additional power, unlike most aftermarket intakes out there. I applaud him for having the guts to do what he did. Just think a few things could be refined now that his intake and company are a little bit better off. With that said, they have been a huge help to me getting new parts that were not the originals to my intake I purchased used.

Bignasty321

Established Member
imo

Intakes dont matter too much.each brand is gonna have its own dyno that is gonna show gains.in any hi po car free flowing exhaust,more air, good tune. .

Your first mod should always be a tune .because ur car will be running most efficient and optimizal for ur region and the car itself.every car is different so tune is key then. Imo but I build alot of old mopars so these new cars are more tricky. Basis is alwats the same.tune is always key.

Holovacko

Established Member
Neither makes a substantial gain over stock air box. Although, both look much better. Like said before, the tune is what makes the difference. You won't see any true gains going from one to the other, on the track or on the Dyno.

BPatterson

Established Member
My reason for switching was because I'm trying to squeeze every ounce of NA power out of my set up. I run a ported Boss IM, and very little bit helps. It's no secret that the Airaid is bigger than the JLT, and flows more air.

OneSlowV

Established Member
Steeda intake or go home. But if i had to choose another intake it would be airraid

BV600

Established Member
Steeda intake or go home. But if i had to choose another intake it would be airraid

lol what the hell. It was a pain putting the steeda together.

I had the CF JLT and from just pictures I see around I like the Air raid CF better. Im speaking of just looks though I personally don't believe a CAI is worth the power gain.

Users who are viewing this thread