Jabsco IC Pump

Sagittaria

Established Member
My bosch pump went out @ 71k... has been on it's way out for awhile. I decided to spring for the jabsco pump for:

1. Much more flow. (rated @30gpm, will probably see less than that in our maze of a IC system)
2. Sturdier designed pump (hello 0% coolant in the summer... afterall, it's designed to pump sea water)
3. Longer service life. No more having to check or wonder if the damn pump is working.

The Jabsco pump has a rotatable head, is user serviceable, and uses just a little more juice than the stock IC pump. MEANING you can just splice/connect straight to the existing IC <10A lines/relay circuit.

Parts:
Low pressure 3/4" Jabsco 50840-0012
2x3/4 NPT to 3/4 Bung fittings
Clamps
Soldering tools/strippers
grinder/drill
4xbolts/nuts
drill (drill press preferred)

Comparison
20120309_181058.jpg

Stock Bracket sort of "squeezes" the stock IC pump. The bracket is then held on with two bolts onto the front sub frame side. Be warned this is some pretty thick metal. I also had to rotate the head to match the bosch pump to be able to connect to the existing hoses.
20120309_182834.jpg

Just cut off the "squeezer" drill 4 holes and bolt the pump. Be sure to have the correct size or cut the bolts so they don't get in the way when you bolt the bracket up to the frame. AGAIN this is some pretty thick metal. You'll be sitting there for an hour if you have a dremel... the same if you have a hand drill and some crappy drill bits. I used a press and a pneumatic cut off wheel.
20120309_191645.jpg

The stock connector. I chose to cut off a good chunk and soldered it directly to it.
20120309_191949.jpg

It bolted up and connected.
20120309_195255.jpg

Fender liner slightly modified to clear.
20120310_115609.jpg

Later placed my overflow tank next to it. See expansion tank delete thread.
20120324_153249.jpg

Results: Pumps a huge amount more fluid. It's not 30gpm but it's MUCH MUCH MUCH more than the original bosch output. It's silent a well.

Notes: The IC system is a combination of 5/8 and 3/4 heater hose. The pump hoses are 3/4". Do NOT chump out and get 3/4 to 5/8 fittings. It'll pump much less than 3/4 fittings there. I thought it was 5/8s there and ended up having to go back and install 3/4 bungs there and it pumps much more. You may have a hard time finding these fittings but I ended up finding them at a mom and pop hardware store.

I would also not recommend this pump for those still using the stock IC resevoir... that'll probably turn into a gigantic volcano with that much movement.

Last edited:

rider4life350

Established Member
ive read where someone said that if it pumps too fast the fluid wont cool down as well because it wont spend as much time going thru the heat exchanger. dont know if its true or not. keep us posted on the results and what your fluid temps are.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
ive read where someone said that if it pumps too fast the fluid wont cool down as well because it wont spend as much time going thru the heat exchanger. dont know if its true or not. keep us posted on the results and what your fluid temps are.

I had that same thought too, but a HVAC engineer on the site quickly corrected me. The faster the fluid flow - whether that's airflow or waterflow in an air-to-water heat exchanger system - the more efficient the heat removal.

JTAlweezy

First Mustang, ever
Established Member
nice upgrade

This is a nice upgrade. I would like to see if thermodynamically it improves the cooling. I would assume that increasing the flowrate wont affect the heat transfer Qin Qout on the system. The only way to know if this works, is to measure the Operating temp at the heat exchanger and at the evaporator. If there is a significant difference, +/- 5C this is a worthwhile upgrade. One of the best ways to tune your supercharger cooling system is to clean it. Run vinegar through the system for about 4 - 5 mins at operating temp. flush it then refill. This is prolly the best way to maintain the system.

Yes vinegar. A Engineering professor at my university uses it on $50k laser cooling system. It is cooled useing the same thermodynamic method as is used in the cobra. (heat exchanger, evap etc ect)

JTAlweezy

First Mustang, ever
Established Member

that is wrong.

BMR Tech

This is a good thread....very helfpul.

I just ordered this pump (Jabsco)

I will be using this pump in combo with an Afco Dual Pass GT500 H/E....

BMR Tech

^ Nice!

My car is more of a street car, I don't really have any use for the trunk mount, especially with E85 and a small dry shot for cooling. ;)

SVT_Troy

Established Member
mine is as well but I bought it with a trunk mount and just ended up re-doing it. I figured there was no need to take it back to a stock setup....

BMR Tech

Agree 100% with you.

Trust me, I "want" to do it.....but I refrain because I just think the cons outweigh the pros (for me)

I am looking forward to seeing the results from the Jabsco and the GT500 H/E.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Agree 100% with you.

Trust me, I "want" to do it.....but I refrain because I just think the cons outweigh the pros (for me)

I am looking forward to seeing the results from the Jabsco and the GT500 H/E.

The only Con I really see really is added weight (over the rear wheels :-D)..... What other con do you have?

BMR Tech

Pros:

-I can use a larger amount of ICE at the track
-The reservoir is not subject to engine bay heat

Cons:

-Cost/Expense
-Time (worth money)
-Added weight to vehicle (fluid / parts)
-Space reduction (sub, amps, nitrous bottle, spare tire/jack in trunk)
-Lack of ease to see if pump is working

-Not worth all of the above for no improvement on the street.

Adding a better pump due to mine being weak, a much larger H/E due to mine being cracked, a built in switch for the pump (toggle) and possibly some fans....is much more effective in my situation, especially considering that I have no reason to have a trunk tank. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread