Is there such a thing as a comfortable sleeper sofa, and who makes it?

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I'm trying to make more room for visiting family in a smaller residence and I've never shopped for sleeper sofas. The last time I slept on one was 30 years ago and it sucked.

The two most likely people to end up sleeping on them will be my twenty something 6'3" sons, and for as much as a week when they visit.

Anybody have any recent first hand experience?

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I honestly can't say I've slept on a good one. They also seem to be less comfortable in terms of being a couch. It's like they are bad at everything they do and they are a bear to move.

Might as well buy a decent air mattress (one of the tall ones with the air pump built into it) and keep it around for whenever people come over.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I honestly can't say I've slept on a good one. They also seem to be less comfortable in terms of being a couch. It's like they are bad at everything they do and they are a bear to move.

This is all true from my past experience. We've got a vacant residence in the family that my wife would love to live in. Great location. All one level. We'd only be a third out of pocket compared to anything else we could tolerate, which I could then spend on trucks and ammo. We sold our larger home last summer and are renting trying to figure out where to go next now that the kids are out of the house.

It's otherwise a great place, just not nearly enough sleeping quarters.

04MysticCobra

Established Member
Lol....I have slept on them in people's house and some in hotels and they were all uncomfortable. Don't like them. I have a great tall air mattress that is more comfortable but that would not solve your room space situation. I also have moved a few in my day and they are heavy as shit.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I agree, they’ve all sucked. Futon Ash? We have nice one in the 4th bedroom/office, spent a few nights on that one. Lol
Heavy as hell though.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I agree, they’ve all sucked. Futon Ash? We have nice one in the 4th bedroom/office, spent a few nights on that one. Lol
Heavy as hell though.
My mom has a futon and we used to drag the cushion off it and the boys would just sleep on that on the floor at her place, and on the sofa. But now they're great big tall creatures that need space.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
My mom has a futon and we used to drag the cushion off it and the boys would just sleep on that on the floor at her place, and on the sofa. But now they're great big tall creatures that need space.

It folds up nice, but a PITA.

Sent from somewhere

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Let me tell you about the definition of insanity.

My wife and I sold a house this summer that had a combined 4400 sq ft under roof, including the basement that was mostly finished and furnished, along with a walk-out shop.

We moved into a rented 2600 sq ft townhouse to figure out where to go next. Had to get rid of a lot of flotsam and jetsam. Now talking about moving into her mom's 1500 sq ft town house since she's in a nursing home and never moving home, and the wife thinks we're keeping most of everything in both places.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Let me tell you about the definition of insanity.

My wife and I sold a house this summer that had a combined 4400 sq ft under roof, including the basement that was mostly finished and furnished, along with a walk-out shop.

We moved into a rented 2600 sq ft townhouse to figure out where to go next. Had to get rid of a lot of flotsam and jetsam. Now talking about moving into her mom's 1500 sq ft town house since she's in a nursing home and never moving home, and the wife thinks we're keeping most of everything in both places.

Shouldn't be a problem if you pack the new place a storage unit.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Put yer teeth in old man. I lobbed you an easy one.
I like the slow ones, easier to catch. Which reminds me, need to clean those tonight. Getting huge orange blossom smells tonight, seems early considering the weather.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
One that is comfy can lead 3000 or more. We lost one to ac handler freezing over when we did a trip europe. I liked ot better than the guest bed. It had a head side to tilt up so the boob tube would put me to sleep after a spinal surgery.

My dad, near 80 yo, loved it as well and he is hard to please.

Sorry that I forgot the brand. Wife decided to replace with a SEXtional

Sent from my blankity blank using the svtperformance.com mobile app

VegasMichael

Established Member
I have two. One from Thomasville the other I'm not sure. By design the mattress has to be fairly thin so it can fold so ultimately none are all that comfortable. Puttiing a mattress topper on top when they come helps out, though.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I have two. One from Thomasville the other I'm not sure. By design the mattress has to be fairly thin so it can fold so ultimately none are all that comfortable. Puttiing a mattress topper on top when they come helps out, though.
I thought about that. I’ve got memory foam toppers on two beds. It’s great.

spectreman

Established Member
We bought one, I want to say a Serta but I'm just not 100% sure, about 20 years ago & it was awesome. The mattress was thick and comfy, just a fantastic design, no bar in the middle of the back, and comfortable beyond belief. Sadly, we only used it w/guests a few times, altho I slept on it more than once, and then we ended up giving it away in our last move. We tried giving it away but nobody wanted it! I really wish we could've kept it.
Lee

Blown 89

Established Member
That's what will happen. She just can't part with stuff. I already gave away a piano and an antique organ.
Welcome to my hell. We live in a 1,700 sq/ft house built in the 50's and my wife won't throw away anything. I feel like Fred Sanford.

Users who are viewing this thread