Is There A Shelf Life On Properly Stored, Unopened Oil?

oldmodman

Established Member
I have fifteen cases of Mobil 1 Synthetic 10w/30
They have been stored on shelves in a warehouse that is not temperature stabile, but goes from 40 degrees up to 105 in the summer.

They are all between 7 and 9 years old. None of them have developed any leaks. And they are all in the current type of plastic quart container.

Does stored oil deteriorate?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Blackstone Labs recently did a test. They purchased unopened oil from eBay still in cans from the early 1980's and mid to late 1970's to see how well the product inside held up. The article and testing was very surprising. A lot of the oil was still useable in today's engines.

Article

Part #1

Part #2

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Blackstone Labs recently did a test. They purchased unopened oil from eBay still in cans from the early 1980's and mid to late 1970's to see how well the product inside held up. The article and testing was very surprising. A lot of the oil was still useable in today's engines.

Article

Part #1

Part #2

Yep.

Sealed unopened bottles that have not been stored out in the middle of Death Valley will be usable for multiple decades.

After about a year just shake them up, because of the different densities of the components.

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
I have fifteen cases of Mobil 1 Synthetic 10w/30
They have been stored on shelves in a warehouse that is not temperature stabile, but goes from 40 degrees up to 105 in the summer.

They are all between 7 and 9 years old. None of them have developed any leaks. And they are all in the current type of plastic quart container.

Does stored oil deteriorate?
Sweet

That's the older better Mobil one too! Gold or Silver cap?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
man there is no way I would use that shit in my car. Jimmie is the expert, but I had several bottles of Mobile 1 in my garage, unopened for for almost 9 years. when I got done in IRAQ I started cleaning out my garage and all the bottles looked like they had absorbed some of the oil. I am talking dark discoloration. Thankfully I only have about 8 quarts so I am pitching it all just on GP

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
man there is no way I would use that shit in my car. Jimmie is the expert, but I had several bottles of Mobile 1 in my garage, unopened for for almost 9 years. when I got done in IRAQ I started cleaning out my garage and all the bottles looked like they had absorbed some of the oil. I am talking dark discoloration. Thankfully I only have about 8 quarts so I am pitching it all just on GP

Yeah oldmodman, you should probably call the Mobil1 tech department for their official recommendation, technically I can only speak for Royal Purple.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

Article

Part #1

Part #2

I read those too. Pretty interesting stuff.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I've as well have seen plastic quarts that were a number of years old and the color was faded significantly on the bottle, is it seeping into the oil?

Users who are viewing this thread