Is there a market for original (Correct date code) Eagle F1 tires?

awakened

Established Member
Just curious. I recently picked up a low mile 03 cobra. It has the original tires on it that have under 10,000 miles and they look fantastic. no dry rot and really good tread. I was wondering if there was a market for these for someone that had a low mile original cobra but maybe the tires were bad or replaced. I would be just as happy with newer tires so I thought I would check to see if they have any value before putting additional miles on them.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Yes, there is, or will be a market for these. I also have a low mile 93 on its original tires and there are posts on that forum periodically where owners are looking for original tires. Old tires are obviously not great for a daily driver, but if your car is more of a limited use collector car, old tires work fine. I take my 93 out for a drive once in awhile and the tires haven't been an issue. They still look new.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
First, tires are perishable. This means tires can age out before they wear out. So even though you don't see any tire rot, that doesn't mean the composition hasn't started to weaken. The composition of tires (steel belts, fabric plies and rubber compounds), can lead to the degradation of the tire's structural integrity over the course of time as a result of chemical reaction within the rubber components, fatigue, and abuse. Those F1 tires are about 16 years old. Maybe add a year to that if they were stored in a warehouse prior to be used in the assembly factory. Be aware that the rubber compound can fail due to fatigue, so tires should usually be replaced within 6-10 years depending on the tire brand/model/specs. So those F1s are likely not going to fetch any decent money unless the buyer is going to basically keep the car in a garage. I personally wouldn't try to sell them due to the aging/safety issue. If you do sell them, I would have the buyer sign a waiver that states the age of the tires and even note they shouldn't be used on public roads due to the possibility of tire failure. That's to ensure that you can't be held liable in the event of tire failure at high speeds. Or any speeds for that matter. JMO.

oldmodman

Established Member
There may be an added value market for original tires in the future. But only when it becomes worth the cost of restoring a Cobra to as delivered condition.
I took off my original wheels and tires at 437 miles. Removed the valve stems, filled them several times with dry nitrogen and then put them in big plastic bags (with no pressure in them) and filled the bags with nitrogen before sealing them. That storage method should keep them in as good a condition as a layman can achieve. Someday if I ever decide I want a museum piece I will have the unmarked tires and wheels with which to do so. But right now they are just taking up space.

awakened

Established Member
[QUOTE="...I took off my original wheels and tires at 437 miles. Removed the valve stems, filled them several times with dry nitrogen and then put them in big plastic bags (with no pressure in them) and filled the bags with nitrogen before sealing them. That storage method should keep them in as good a condition as a layman can achieve. Someday if I ever decide I want a museum piece I will have the unmarked tires and wheels with which to do so. But right now they are just taking up space.[/QUOTE]
That' an impressive amount of foresight and effort put into preserving your original wheels and tires.

Users who are viewing this thread