Is the EPA is Coming for Your Brake Cleaner???

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
91GH-Q90d9L.jpg

From SEMA:

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has issued a proposed rule to ban methylene chloride for commercial use in paint removers and most other products. The EPA has already banned most consumer sales as of August 2019.

Methylene chloride, also called dichloromethane or DCM, and is used for paint and coating removal, metal cleaning and degreasing, plastic processing and adhesive manufacturing. Consumers exposed to the chemical may risk dizziness or potentially fatal nervous system disorders.

The EPA is proposing to prohibit most industrial and commercial uses of methylene chloride, including in automotive care products (cleaners, degreasers, air conditioner fluids, etc.). For the remaining exempted uses (e.g., military and airline applications), the agency would require a workplace chemical protection program along with recordkeeping and downstream notification requirements. The ban would be fully implemented 15 months after the EPA issues a final rule.

Last edited:

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Great, we always need more laws. :|

That stuff is nasty though. Super effective but almost certainly a carcinogen (like most things that are awesome).

Yea. I equate this to being mad that asbestos was banned.

Asbestos is a hell of a fire retardant and had a lot of practical uses. Butttttttt it also got people very very sick, and asbestosis is what killed my grandfather.

So I'm glad it's been banned in certain uses.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

Asbestos is a hell of a fire retardant and had a lot of practical uses. Butttttttt it also got people very very sick, and asbestosis is what killed my grandfather.

Not surprising at all.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member

Better ban a lot of food and drinks too...........

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
They will just come use with something else. And in 20 years say that it will kill you too.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
His argument is the equivalent of " Someone ran over my dog and killed it. Ban cars"

No. My grandfather died of inhaling an unregulated carcinogen thanks to the navy, you royal prick.

It should be banned in the capacities it was banned, because no one should be using a fire suit or helmet lined with asbestos.

Attacking me over the loss of my grandfather due to an unregulated carcinogen, that I am glad is now regulated, is a really low move.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
No. My grandfather died of inhaling an unregulated carcinogen thanks to the navy, you royal prick.

It should be banned in the capacities it was banned, because no one should be using a fire suit or helmet lined with asbestos.

Attacking me over the loss of my grandfather due to an unregulated carcinogen, that I am glad is now regulated, is a really low move.

So blame the navy. Not someone on the internet.

Nobody ****ing attacked you dude... jesus christ

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I remember when the Army banned MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) back in '95-ish. That stuff was amazing at dissolving grease. And giving you a great buzz in the process. lol. Probably why I'm such a dumbass today...

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hell, I grew up washing my hands in gasoline.
Brake Cleaner is nothing.
I have sprayed it directly on my hands to get rid of stubborn stains that regular shop soap would not remove.
Outside of a 3rd eye growing on my forehead I have had no side affects after all these years....

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia

Typical liberal whining.

Go lay down by your dish chump.

Users who are viewing this thread