Is it time to worry about the stock market?

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Ford is crap. Been struggling all year with no real future positive signs. I've been meaning to sell it over the last few months, but I only have a couple grand in it so still letting it ride for a little.

The yield where I bought it is very nice. If it pops to twelve might take the gain.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Hopefully this isn't a precursor of what's top come. I know, I know,....get it together. Don't panic. :confused: lol

Myself and my sister-in-law both think that a recession may be possible. I really hope we're talking nonsense here. She's pretty good with finances. She works finances with one of the top hospitals in the Country, if not the world.
Plus, every other week or so, MSN homepage talks about a recession.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
I'm still paying into mine the same amount as I was before, without a second thought. I like getting more shares for the same money, so whenever it takes back off I'll see more gains.

IA Shelby

Established Member
Hopefully this isn't a precursor of what's top come. I know, I know,....get it together. Don't panic. :confused: lol

Myself and my sister-in-law both think that a recession may be possible. I really hope we're talking nonsense here. She's pretty good with finances. She works finances with one of the top hospitals in the Country, if not the world.
Plus, every other week or so, MSN homepage talks about a recession.

Recession happening is stone cold lock. The question is when that will happen. Most experts predict sub 2% GDP growth in the second half of 2019.

The fed raising rates is not the primary reason for the stock market falling. They have signaled these moves for over a year. What has the market nervous is the unpredictable nature of trump’s latest moves. Trade wars, gov Shutdown, Cabinet secretarie resignations (Mattis was huge), Syria pull out etc.

I believe trump has made some smart policy moves in his first year (especially the focus on de-regulation). The tax cuts were over done and will escalate our rising debt. We will see the lasting impact when companies start to report earnings in Q1 when they yr/yr comparisons have the tax cuts baked in from 18.

The key in mind is who the democrats/Republicans run against Trump in 2020. if it is somebody who is somewhat based in reality, he will lose. That would calm the markets. If the Dems run a Beto or some far left liberal then you could see a deep & lasting recession. Just my opinion which I am sure several will disagree with.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Recession happening is stone cold lock. The question is when that will happen. Most experts predict sub 2% GDP growth in the second half of 2019.

The fed raising rates is not the primary reason for the stock market falling. They have signaled these moves for over a year. What has the market nervous is the unpredictable nature of trump’s latest moves. Trade wars, gov Shutdown, Cabinet secretarie resignations (Mattis was huge), Syria pull out etc.

I believe trump has made some smart policy moves in his first year (especially the focus on de-regulation). The tax cuts were over done and will escalate our rising debt. We will see the lasting impact when companies start to report earnings in Q1 when they yr/yr comparisons have the tax cuts baked in from 18.

The key in mind is who the democrats/Republicans run against Trump in 2020. if it is somebody who is somewhat based in reality, he will lose. That would calm the markets. If the Dems run a Beto or some far left liberal then you could see a deep & lasting recession. Just my opinion which I am sure several will disagree with.

2019 will be a good year in the upper midwest. The book of open construction projects our family business is bidding on is in the 250-300 million dollar range looking 1 year out. Our firm eggheads think the slow down will be in 2020, depending on a China trade deal and oil prices.

Midwest is basically at full employment plus. Every trade and construction outfit is screaming for people and CANNOT find them, despite spending thousands looking and hiring headhunters.

jmsa540

Established Member
I know nothing about stocks or the market but this country should be worried. Housing, auto loans, student loans, essential costs of living, debt.....it's all wildly out of control. Too many people are trying to get rich quick off the essentials of living. The same people that told me I was in idiot for believing that in 2006 are saying the same thing now. It's coming.
You know nothing about stocks or the market but yet you are quick to say we are headed for turmoil?

Sent from my SM-G892A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CV355

_
Established Member
Every trade and construction outfit is screaming for people and CANNOT find them, despite spending thousands looking and hiring headhunters.

Funny how that goes. It's because there is so much deadwood in the job market that employers are sick of paying for people who don't deliver. It's not that employers can't find people, it's that they can't find effective people.

I'm not some hiring guru, believe me, I've had my fair share of blunders but to my credit I identify them quick. Some people are just really good in the interviewing process and wind up sucking bad after the "trial period" wears off. I had one guy who was phenomenal in the interview process, hired him, and within two weeks he was sleeping at his desk and/or doing nothing but looking at college football news. Gone. Had another one that I identified as a "b player" at the start, but we needed manpower. Had to let him go after he was caught bragging about coming in at 5am, yet I was always the first one in the office at 5:30am- guy was frauding hours. It wastes the employers time and money having to deal with these sludgeballs.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Funny how that goes. It's because there is so much deadwood in the job market that employers are sick of paying for people who don't deliver. It's not that employers can't find people, it's that they can't find effective people.

I'm not some hiring guru, believe me, I've had my fair share of blunders but to my credit I identify them quick. Some people are just really good in the interviewing process and wind up sucking bad after the "trial period" wears off. I had one guy who was phenomenal in the interview process, hired him, and within two weeks he was sleeping at his desk and/or doing nothing but looking at college football news. Gone. Had another one that I identified as a "b player" at the start, but we needed manpower. Had to let him go after he was caught bragging about coming in at 5am, yet I was always the first one in the office at 5:30am- guy was frauding hours. It wastes the employers time and money having to deal with these sludgeballs.

In our neck of the woods they are not able to replace the baby boomers leaving the job market. The 2nd part is that kids are convinced that unless they go to college they cannot make a good living. Public schools have eliminated shop class, so kids are not exposed early. Also, the point you made, kids have no exposure to what to what true work is.

Our family business is concrete, hire 5 on Monday, lucky to have one left by Friday. Not to mention the guys who quit when state garnishment hits their paycheck for child support.

Blown 89

Established Member
You know nothing about stocks or the market but yet you are quick to say we are headed for turmoil?
I don't need to know anything about stocks to apply statistical reasoning.

The median home price is out of the traditional metrics for affordability compared to income. Home prices have outpaced inflation by 35%. Gas has outpaced inflation by 75%. The essential costs of living are FAR outpacing inflation and FAR outpacing the average wage increase. Average education debt has soared, auto loan debt has soared, credit card debt has soared. In fact, every single essential cost of living is outpacing inflation by a staggering amount. Non-essential costs of living are also outpacing inflation by staggering amounts. On top of that people are waiting longer to get into homes and taking longer home loans once they do. Statistically people are saving less for retirement and household debt has soared to all time highs.

Explain to me how all of this is good? I realize everyone is convinced that everything will keep going up but reality is that it doesn't. In 2007 everyone was telling me I was an idiot for saving my money and not buying a house because investing in the housing market was a sure thing that would never end. Bitcoin? Same thing, it's going to soar past 100k....I was an idiot for not buying into it at 19k. Seriously, how have people not learned their lessons yet? There is a correction of some sort coming, it has to. The cost of living cannot keep blowing income out of the water and not have long term consequences. So there you have it, while I don't know anything about the stock market I can read statistics and I can spot the same bullshit arguments that are made during every bubble. It's not hard, history has a tendency to repeat itself.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse

Sent from my SM-G892A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I don't think someone has to know a lot about the stock market to recognize ever increasing amounts of student loan debt, credit card debt, auto loan debt, mortgages they can't afford, etc. Combine that with people being behind on retirement savings and a federal government that is beyond broke and there are a lot of bad signals out there.

Go look at your average, middle class family and they are probably up to their eyeballs in debt and couldn't quickly come up with $500 to pay to get an alternator replaced on their car.

VenomVeins

Established Member

Wrong.

This particular ‘recession’ will be segmented.

The job market is booming.

The market is up and down faster than a cheap hooker smoking a meat missile.

The ‘chickens coming home to roost’ thing THIS time around will be the insane student loan debt, followed by bloated auto loan debts.

Here in Socal, rent is more than a mortgage EVERYWHERE. If you own, you are LUCKY because your mortgage is significantly lower. Not a joke, btw.

If you take an honest step back, it is obvious what will be transpiring soon.

Users who are viewing this thread