Is it time to worry about the stock market?

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Obviously I know that the markets go up and down but this is really starting to feel like fall of 2008 where it seemed every other day the stock market dropped hundreds of points.

I know that at 34 I'm in it for the long haul and have 25 years before I can touch the money tax free, but I checked my 401k on Thursday and it had dropped 12.6% from the beginning of the month. It's probably pushing 14-15% loss at this point. 14-15% is a phenomenal gain in a year but yet I've lost that in under 4 weeks and nobody in the general public seems to be worried.

Given the market volatility in the last couple months it seems like the fed raising the interest rates last week was a terrible idea.

It's pretty concerning to me that I'm saving 15+% of my income towards a retirement that could be taken away in a matter of months due to market fluctuations.

Last edited:

CCS_56_EX

Established Member
I’m 38, also contribute, and am not planning on touching the money for a couple decades. I remember looking at my contributions and balance (declining) in 2008 and being discouraged, and it’s like that now. In times like these, stocks are on sale and there are good opportunities. I already have my entire 2019 Roth IRA funds in place to make a move.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I lost over $10K a few months ago, but still way ahead. Mine are pretty much all funds though. What goes up, must come down, and vs. versa.

blownstang4.6

Established Member
I'm 32 and lost $15k just this month. I'm not touching it though. May buy some stuff next week and do some re-allocating with the new year, but definitely not pulling out.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Ignore the noise and fear. Your retirement account is a long term strategy. You have time on your side for the market to recover and get back to a bull market. Bear markets are inevitable and will happen to every investor at some point. It’s easy to get comfortable and complacent in good times. We could see the market drop even further this next year before we hit a bottom.

A lot of scared people are selling right now, which has made it worse. I think bear markets are self fulfilling prophecies in a lot of cases because the average investor is dumb and panics. For me it’s business as usual. I keep contributing to my 401k, Roth IRA and buy stocks on discount. For the more active and savvy investor you can also use protective hedging strategies. Buying puts, covered calls, collars etc.

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
If the consensus is we are going to a bear market why the desire to ride the market way down. 08 had a 66% decline.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
People, you are not losing money, you are losing opportunity. If you needed the cash today, then yes you lost money. If you’re not touching it, just let it ride.

Example, I bought Facebook at $46, it was up over $220, now it’s at $125. I’m still ahead, just not as much as I was. No big deal.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
If the consensus is we are going to a bear market why the desire to ride the market way down. 08 had a 66% decline.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Market research shows that for the investors who pulled out during the 08 recession and then got back in later, they lost way more money compared to investors who held long and rode out the storm. Timing the market is near impossible.

If you have positions with a dwindling gain you can might consider pulling some risk off the table, realize the gains and buy something else at a discount. But full liquidation of all investments is unwise.

Users who are viewing this thread